New 2005 STS N* owner here...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, New 2005 STS N* owner here... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all! The owner is new I should say. The car is an '05 and is pretty heavily loaded from ...
    trailbrake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar

Cool New 2005 STS N* owner here...

Hi all! The owner is new I should say. The car is an '05 and is pretty heavily loaded from what I can tell with navi, int. cruise and a whole bunch else. I've been lurking for a few months trying to figure some stuff out, like does it have an LSD on top of the stability / traction control, are my wheels different width f to r, etc. When these tractionless wonders are worn out I'd like to commonize tire widths to allow rotation.

Overall I love the car although the mileage is a real bummer. I have about a 90 mile rt commute each day and feeding this thirsty beast gets a little painful at the pump. Anyhow, I thought I would say hi and I look forward to learning lots more.

Oh one more thing I was wondering about. I'm looking at ideas for exhaust systems. I know this engine would sound fantastic uncorked and I'm looking at the cost vs quality tradeoff. What's the best option?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: New STS N* owner here...

Given the couple of model-specific questions, let's move this from the chit-chat Lounge to the new "STS" forum.

Welcome Aboard !!!

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrake
    Hi all! The owner is new I should say. The car is an '05 and is pretty heavily loaded from what I can tell with navi, int. cruise and a whole bunch else. I've been lurking for a few months trying to figure some stuff out, like does it have an LSD on top of the stability / traction control, are my wheels different width f to r, etc. When these tractionless wonders are worn out I'd like to commonize tire widths to allow rotation.

Overall I love the car although the mileage is a real bummer. I have about a 90 mile rt commute each day and feeding this thirsty beast gets a little painful at the pump. Anyhow, I thought I would say hi and I look forward to learning lots more.

Oh one more thing I was wondering about. I'm looking at ideas for exhaust systems. I know this engine would sound fantastic uncorked and I'm looking at the cost vs quality tradeoff. What's the best option?
    Only 1sc 1sf and 1sg cars got posi you'd have to check your rpo codes.

The tires are staggered with wider rims on the rear for the 17" standard wheels. Optional 18"s are the same front to rear.

Exhaust choices are GMPP (Borla) or corsa. Both are expensive as well as Gibson which isn't too bad price wise.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: New 2005 STS N* owner here...

The 07 sts northstar I had had the 18s with wider tires in the rear. Just read the tire sizes off the sidewalls of the tires and compare front to back.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

^ same here, with the optional 18" 235 fronts and 255 backs

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

There is a White tag in the trunk, attached to the Spare tire cover, it lists
    all the Toys, your car came with. as mentioned above, the package is
    also on the tag, NOt the 1SZ, but the other 1XX, fill in the blanks.
    Happy Motoring.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    The 07 sts northstar I had had the 18s with wider tires in the rear. Just read the tire sizes off the sidewalls of the tires and compare front to back.
    I think this is only with the upgraded V-series brakes & six-lug wheels. The other 18" wheels are matched, but I'd give that up in a heartbeat for the brakes. Again, if 18" wheels and not AWD, you probably do have posi!

For all the proof, open your trunk & the spare tire cover & read the label with your VIN. Each three letter code tells a truth!

----------

Oops, Sub wins!

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post

I think this is only with the upgraded V-series brakes & six-lug wheels. The other 18" wheels are matched, but I'd give that up in a heartbeat for the brakes. Again, if 18" wheels and not AWD, you probably do have posi!

For all the proof, open your trunk & the spare tire cover & read the label with your VIN. Each three letter code tells a truth!

----------

Oops, Sub wins!
    My 06 1SF has the 18" staggered setup, 235/50 in front, 255/45 in back. I have the performance brakes, not the 6-lug/Brembo setup.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

achavez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 4.6ltr 1SE

op I will probably be doing a muffler swap with a pair of magnaflows and some tips end of October. I will try to post a video. im assuming ill spend in the $400ish range

Thanks for the replies guys. 18" staggered and not AWD. I'll check in the trunk this weekend. I didn't know about the Brembos (jealous!). That's the other real weakness I've found so far. The tires are deadly and the car is fast enough to completely overwhelm the brakes. I'll be upgrading both as these wear out, but looking for a potential Brembo find over just better pads.

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    My 06 1SF has the 18" staggered setup, 235/50 in front, 255/45 in back. I have the performance brakes, not the 6-lug/Brembo setup.
    Your wheels should all be identical; only the tires are different. The 17" staggered setup uses back wheels that are 1/2" wider.

Page 438 in the 2007 manual says that tire rotation is not recommended if you have one of the following performance tire combinations, and one of the combos is 235 50 18s up front and 255 45 18s rear.
    V Force likes this.

My DPO & their dealer never read the manual. They did it three times.

I convinced the selling dealer to put them back on the right ends. It wasn't all that long until I changed to the same size Conti DWS on all corners.

Conti Sport DWS's are on sale right now too. Very tempting if I weren't also building a motor right now... Interesting news about wheel width on the 18's. I'll double-check with a tape measure just to be sure.

On sale where?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.