Moisture in 2007 STS-V headlight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Moisture in 2007 STS-V headlight in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; does anyone know how to change the alternator in a 2002 Cadillac dts and also get the moisture out of ...
    hisbosschick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 cadillac dts and 2007 cadillac stsv

Wink Moisture in 2007 STS-V headlight

does anyone know how to change the alternator in a 2002 Cadillac dts and also get the moisture out of the headlight in a 2007 Cadillac stsv?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: how to change the alternator in a 02 dts n how to get moisture out of 07 stsv hea

Let's split this thread in two - I'll leave the 2002 DTS alternator in Deville, move the 2007 STS-V to ............... STS.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Re: Moisture in 2007 STS-V headlight

remove the back cover and bulb and put a teabag there or any similar moisture absorbent.
    but the question why you have that in first place? do you have a crack or missing cover @ the back ? aftermarket HIDs ?

@mjcaddy we don't see any cracks or anything and no aftermarket hids the headlights are factory headlights. and it is only the passenger side headlight that has it the drivers side headlight is fine. what back cover r u talking about? someone told us we have to take the whole bumper off to get the headlight out and drill a hole in it? we just wanna get the moisture out of the headlight. are the two small circular lights at the bottom of the headlights supposed to work or no?

----------

thanks submariner 409 im new to this

the small ones yes they should be on with the lights,
    and yes to take the headlights out you'll need to take the bumper out, I didn't do that myself yet but everyone is saying the same that you need to take the bumper out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKQ2EDVt8gI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duhsePmIUyk

when you get to the headlight the cover is on the back of the assembly, I thought you already had that part out, DO NOT drill anything, people drilling it to install after market HIDs

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

There is a small vent with a rubber "L" shaped piece on the vent already on your headlight as a way for moisture to escape. It's towards the top of the headlight - you don't have to remove/unscrew anything. Find the vent, pull the rubber piece off, blow in the hole with a hairdryer for a few minutes, put the rubber protector back on (make sure it's clean) and go about your business. The moisture should be gone by the following day.

@atrus, can you please show us how to do that? i knew there is a work around, i did the same for my SRX instead of removing the whole bumper I removed couple things, but i have no clue how to do that with the STS since i just got it myself

thanks.

On the STS for the passenger side you can see the vent and cover if you shine a light in the space between the fuse box and the headlight.
    I think for the driver side you may have to remove the air intake box/filter, which is just 3 screws.

I don't have a pic of it right now, but it's something similar to this, only it's just L shape instead of the C shape on the picture. You can also google something like "Headlight moisture vent" to get the general idea:

headlight_03_01.jpg

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

You have to keep the water from getting inside in the First place though....

To do that you have to remove the headlights, dry them out before that water stains everything, and reseal where the clear lens attaches to the "body" of the headlight.

I used my heatgun, set on low and backed-away from it, to blow warm air through the headlight (do NOT put something inside like a desiccant or "teabag", they will just become soggy and retain the water).

When thoroughly dry, scrub the seam clean (from lens to body) and apply a new bead of sealer. I used a thinned silicone called "Windshield Seal" from Permatex but regular silicone would work I'm sure but the "thinned" stuff ran down into the gap easily (also made it a slower/messier process though)

I did this several years ago, haven't had a problem with it since. Do a Search on "headlight moisture" here there are Many threads

@batu did u have to take the bumper off to get the headlight out if so can u tell me how to do take the bumper off?

You have to keep the water from getting inside in the First place though....

To do that you have to remove the headlights, dry them out before that water stains everything, and reseal where the clear lens attaches to the "body" of the headlight.
    Not necessarily true.

As I already said, there is a vent to allow moisture to escape. If you have condensation - the vent is plugged.
    The easiest way is to make sure the vent is not plugged, let the condensation escape (usually within 24 hours) and then go through a car wash. If you come out without water in your headlight - no need to waste a whole day removing and gluing headlights, unless, of course, you have time to waste.

Now, if you have a puddle of water in your headlight...

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Quote Originally Posted by hisbosschick View Post
    @batu did u have to take the bumper off to get the headlight out if so can u tell me how to do take the bumper off?
    To remove the headlight, you must remove the bumper - no way around that.

You can access the back of the passenger side headlight if you have really small hands and remove the air intake and 1 other piece.

Dropping the bumper takes 30 min max with basic tools.

@eatyoursandwich can you tell me how to take the bumper off?

zlgibby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldorado ETC
    There are two bolts that connect the bumper to the fenders and a few on the top. I will try and take pictures when I get off work

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by atlrus View Post
    Not necessarily true.

As I already said, there is a vent to allow moisture to escape. If you have condensation - the vent is plugged.
    The easiest way is to make sure the vent is not plugged, let the condensation escape (usually within 24 hours) and then go through a car wash. If you come out without water in your headlight - no need to waste a whole day removing and gluing headlights, unless, of course, you have time to waste.

Now, if you have a puddle of water in your headlight...
    There's a difference between normal condensation and 1/4" of water sloshing around in the bottom of the housing. There are actually a couple of vents, they take care of the tiny bit of condensation that can occur with temp/humidity changes. BUT, the housings are prone to leak water from the failed seal, it's a common issue and Water = Damage in the housing, if it's leaking you need to fix it A.S.A.P. If you see water every time you wash it's NOT condensation and time to do something about it before it gets worse....

Taking the bumper off isn't a big deal (makes the car look like you just hit a tree though ) and is best done with a little help to ensure you don't scratch the paint as you pull it off and put it on. Didn't mjcaddys vids help???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.