steam/coolant coming from exhaust pipes time to sell?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, steam/coolant coming from exhaust pipes time to sell? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; dealer said my 06 1sg had internal coolant leak with the help from everyone here I was able to figure ...
    edoubble2082 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts4 v8 has every option available

steam/coolant coming from exhaust pipes time to sell?

dealer said my 06 1sg had internal coolant leak with the help from everyone here I was able to figure out it was a small leak and not going in to the oil .I am quite sure its burning through the tail pipes because they steam always and I saw moisture inside the exhaust pipe is there a fix with out rebuild or new engine and over time will it cause head gasket problems is it time to sell thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Re: steam/coolant coming from exhaust pipes time to sell?

Small leaks become big ones

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 135k

Have you done any other tests to validate the HG has failed??? Have you performed a block test to confirm the presence of exhaust gases in your cooling system? I've never heard of a Northstar mixing the coolant and oil after HG failure. Does it ever overheat?
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

tking5830 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Have you done any other tests to validate the HG has failed??? Have you performed a block test to confirm the presence of exhaust gases in your cooling system? I've never heard of a Northstar mixing the coolant and oil after HG failure. Does it ever overheat?

I know the old seville's had a MAJOR problem with headgasket failure and one of the sure signs of issues was coolant in the oil

The head gasket has not failed yet but its burning oil and coolant slowly no milky oil or anything oil kooks perfect so I believe its burning out through the exhaust

----------

The head gasket has not failed no block test yet but its burning oil and coolant slowly no milky oil or anything oil looks perfect so I believe its burning out through the exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by tking5830 View Post

I know the old seville's had a MAJOR problem with headgasket failure and one of the sure signs of issues was coolant in the oil
    False, very rare actually.
    Past Cadillac's

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    False, very rare actually.
    I don't think it was that rare. It was common enough that GM had a service procedure to deal with the problem, timeserts if I remember correctly. I've had three previous FWD Northstar cars and can't remember how many times I've read about keeping mindful of the coolant change intervals to prevent this type of failure.

Out of the three previous generation NS cars I've owned though, two of them had the case half reseal done early in life, under factory warranty. That was always a worry for me, more so than I think the head bolts pulling out of the block. I usually purchased the vehicles right around 5-6 years old so the first thing I did was change the coolant since I didn't have a known history to go by.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by edoubble2082 View Post
    dealer said my 06 1sg had internal coolant leak with the help from everyone here I was able to figure out it was a small leak and not going in to the oil .I am quite sure its burning through the tail pipes because they steam always and I saw moisture inside the exhaust pipe is there a fix with out rebuild or new engine and over time will it cause head gasket problems is it time to sell thanks
    I think it depends on how you feel about the car overall. If it's pristine with all options as you note then I'd probably get the problem fixed or engine replaced when it does finally fail (more expensive option). Who knows, it may go 10-20K more miles before that happens. If it's an average condition vehicle then I might get rid of it for another. Also, if you bought the car new you know the entire history that also would make me think about repairing it. It would be a shame to replace the vehicle with another used car only to find out you got unlucky and wound up with someone else's problem. Who knows, you could wind up with another vehicle that someone got rid of for a similar reason you're thinking about getting rid of yours.

If it's paid off then there's another vote for fixing it. Maybe a $4K repair but that's better than starting out again with a $20K+ loan on another used vehicle.

Thanks for the advice I got the car for 7 grand with 100k on it it is paid off :-) salvage title put a quick 30k on it and know the compressor for air ride needs to be replace d and front shocks making noise .I want to keep it but if the engine s on its way out and I'm thinking mrc replace around 160k rides pretty rough with the mrc and engine that's easy what I paid for the car again .Might be smarter to let it be someone else problem and try to sell now for 10 while it still idels and drives fine before I'm in to deep I also know I will probably never find a 1sg for that cheap wish I new how to work on wrench on these cars I would keep no problem kinda feels like its falling apart around me anyway thanks for the advice got all my friends in my ear telling me to sell but I ****ing love this car just don't want to be stupid and can't afford to make the wrong dissison

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Blown head gaskets are common in older NorthStars but because of block and head design it is very rare for this to result in coolant leakage into the oil. The result is predominantly exhaust gases leaking into the coolant, thus the definitive test is for exhaust gases in the coolant with a block test kit.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Sound like block test is the way to go bad experience with dealer is this something local shop could competently do and let's say test says there is exhaust gas in coolant I'm looking at new engine quick or can possibly drive the life of the engine like this ?

You can do it yourself. Most chain parts stores should have a block test kit you can rent. Google it, it's actually quite simple.
    Past Cadillac's

Will do thanks

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

if i remember this correctly they changed the design after 05 or 06 to fix the HG problem, maybe someone here can confirm that,
    but as the guys mentioned here do the test yourself and if you suspect something is not right, then maybe think about selling.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

rwd is not open deck like fwd northstars. totally different design.
    mckellyb likes this.

Block test came up positive :-( mabie time to sell or just drive off a cliff put us both out of our missioury thanks for the advice guys it hurts me to sell this car wish there was a way to fix damn I did my reaserach and bought this car because I thought they fixed the hg problem just my luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.