steam/coolant coming from exhaust pipes time to sell? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, steam/coolant coming from exhaust pipes time to sell? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; how much it will cost to fix ? did you get a quote ? if you like it then maybe ...
    mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Re: steam/coolant coming from exhaust pipes time to sell?

how much it will cost to fix ? did you get a quote ? if you like it then maybe you should look into that instead of going through the selling/buying/financing dance.

edoubble2082 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts4 v8 has every option available

I'm not sure how much. The cheapest I found a low mile northstar engine was 1500 and install at least a grand .With 130k My mag ride needs replacing soon and that's another 3grand easy so I'm just not sure if its worth dumping 6 -8 grand in this thing I think generally speaking these cars take a dump at 150 200k give or take a couple that have been mitiqullesly takincare of from day one .I drive about 20+ miles a year and I think at this rate I'm looking at grand 3 grand of repairs every 20-30k I want to fix it so bad but don't want to kick myself for dumping money in a dieing car ?

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Yours is only the 2nd LH2 N* I heard of having a hg issue. It could be the gasket failed vs the old issue of lifting heads...

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Just replace the head gaskets.

What makes you believe your MRC shocks are bad / need to be replaced?

I wanted to replace the gaskets how much (ball park ) do you think that would run I remember asking that question before and people said it was just about as expensive as going with the new engine? And it rides pretty rough and hearing some creks and other noise mabie bearing ball joints something easy but I figured because of the milage and how rough it road it needed to be replaced soon? Seems like I would have to replace around 160k-190k ? Thanks big time for the advice and ideas your giving me hope again that I can fix my baby :-)

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

All 4 MRC shocks from Chris at Rippy's might be less than you think. (Genuine GM Warranty) Do as you like but think the costs through before dumping a car you like. Will you also have to put money into its replacement?

Good examples of the STS are getting harder to find.
    ETC92Guy and edoubble2082 like this.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    All 4 MRC shocks from Chris at Rippy's might be less than you think. (Genuine GM Warranty) Do as you like but think the costs through before dumping a car you like. Will you also have to put money into its replacement?

Also finding a reputable dealer to install them or being able to do it yourself helps too.
    Book time for labor on 1 rear MRC replacement is 0.7 hours, to do both at the same time is 1.0 hours. Depending on where this is done that's likely around $100 labor to replace both rears that you could probably get the rear shocks new from Rippy for about $850 for the pair (just guessing based on past experience with him) new fronts not sure on his price though and not sure if you need the AWD version or not.
    So call it just under $1k for both rear shocks installed. The fronts will likely be a bit more though due to labor time and required alignment I want to say list price for the front AWD model was $559 each and I'd think Chris might be able to get you a good deal on the pair as well. If you really need all 4 who knows you might be able to get a really good deal.
    Send him a PM with your VIN and shipping zip code and ask for quotes.

For the head gasket if it really is blown I'd have to look at alldata to see what it talks about for doing them.

Lets talk tires a bit...
    Are they the OEM Michelins?
    Do you have them over or under inflated?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    edoubble2082 likes this.

Thanks for the reply that's a much better price than I was able to find I just read another thread about noisy suspension and am hoping replacing control arm bushing will take care of the noise .As for tires I have went through quite a few (I can pretty much get any brand used with about 60% tread for 30bucks a tire )I went through pirelli scorpions-michilan pilots-good year f1s(killer tires but very noisey ) and continentals sports I just got some toyo performance tires feels much better awesome tires better than everything I've tried and I keep my pressure at about 30-34 (my tire pressure monitor brain/module is out one more thing on the list).Still trying to get some quotes on replacing head gaskets seems to be about 1500 (labor 10-15 hours)? I also have broken motor mount and dead rear compressor for air ride everything at once .What do you thing about replacing gaskets not blow yet but on its way thanks again I appreciate the advice big time

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The first 20% of a tire's tread is the 'goodie'. I would never recommend used tires. IMHO, vou're getting exactly what you're paying for; next to nothing.

Tires are the single most important factor to influence the ride & performance of your car; the last place to cut corners.

----------

Cadillac sells the control arms as an assembly; any member find a way to just refurb the bushings?
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post

as I said many many times

a car that loses value quickly and has high repair costs doesn't live a long life...and good examples get very hard to find quickly in the marketplace

someone who bought the car...relatively cheaply as a used car...may not be able or willing to invest a lot of money in it because of their budget or its prevailing value

...and the cycle continues with Cadillac sedans

The CTS seems to be breaking this tradition...somewhat...though I am not sure how much the frequent or how much typical repairs are on a CTS

I wonder if the XTS will be able to retain $$ value at least as well as the CTS?...I am certain GM is hoping it does as I see they are leasing the heck out of the XTS

Warren

I understand about new tires and how they affect the ride handling ext ext if I had money to kick around I would get new ones for shure I have more pressing issues like my hg and motor mount and have limated funds as for right now so tires are really the last thing on my mind

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.