heated steering wheel not working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, heated steering wheel not working in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; so this darn thing stopped working, I remember that i tested it 2 times before, once at the dealership when ...
    mjcaddy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

heated steering wheel not working

so this darn thing stopped working, I remember that i tested it 2 times before, once at the dealership when i was buying it and once after, now when it got a bit colder i decided to give it a longer test not just a min, nothing!
    no light, no heat, I checked the fuses and it seems fine,
    I searched here and found a lot of 2nd gen CTS with the same problem, ended up replacing the steering wheel under warranty, which i don't have!
    going to the dealer Wednesday for Navigation update and will tell them to check this too,
    not sure how expensive replacing the whole steering wheel will be specially since this type still in use for MY12 and 13.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: heated steering wheel not working

The part alone, depending on where you buy it, will range between $380 and $490 depending on the specific wheel you need. GM lists roughly nine different part numbers. These prices are based on colour, heated/non-heated, wood trim/no wood trim and the specific steering wheel controls your car was built with. Most dealers will charge you about an hour labour for install (since this is usually the minimum charge). Realistically, it takes at most, 15 minutes. In any event, I'd count on $450 to be safe, plus labour. Your local dealer will likely charge full retail in which case you're looking from $585 to $700.

At least you're not in Canada where you'd be looking about $800 - $1000 for the part plus labour at $140/hour. When I first priced one for my car, the dealer offered me wholesale pricing at $1,145.

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Mine is out. Covered under warranty, but my SA claims that none exist and is pretty much like "**** you" about it. How is this even possible?

The only reason this car even comes out of the F'ing garage is when it's being towed to the dealership - where it currently sits.

I really had high hopes for this car, but between the problems with the car and complete lack of service at the dealership since the amazing 2 previous SA's I had quit, the money I was saving towards the XTS-V has gone to a 2014 E-Class.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

*Edit* Need to give credit where credit is due. I finally have the car back with new motor mounts, new ignition coils, new rear diff seal, new CS rear diff bushing, brand new intake manifold, gasket, bolts, etc. since some idiot tech over-torqued the life out of 6/10 of the bolts which cracked the intake....badly. Service manager called me, took full responsibility for the ongoing problems, and not only not fixing the problems the first time, but creating new ones.

Didn't really bother too much with the steering wheel. It gets cold (below 50F) maybe 15 days of the year her so it wasn't really a battle I was going to fight.

A couple rough patches in the middle, but overall, I'd say the dealer went beyond what they are required to do to satisfy a customer.

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

By xts-v you mean xts vsport since there never will be an xts-v. Sorry about your experiences with the caddy (I got you cadillac customer service) but usually when you don't use things they break. And I believe the old style steering wheel (07 and before) is in fact discontinued but i believe someone was able to work it out with the new style wheel. Enjoy the Benz. Looks like a nice car. And here we go, Cadillac loses another due to its poor dealership service. There are some good ones out there, just too many bad ones.

----------

Oh and the car that is most comparable to the e class would be the new 2014 cts so that would be where you really would've wanted to go. And if you went e550 you'd be looking at the cts vsport as the direct competitor. And the vsport absolutely spanks it in acceleration, and with the new lightweight alpha chassis allowing the ats to embarrass all its competitors in the handling department, the same chassis would probably allow the cts to hand down the same punishment to BMW550 and e550. Again, I've seen quite a few e550s. Gorgeous car. Enjoy it.

----------

Just read over it. Kinda came off Like a d-bag. Not my intention. The e class really seems like a solid car.

now i wish i got the extended warranty, but i said it only covers the car till it's 73k miles and what can ever happen till then? 73k miles is not even high mileage.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Mine has been replaced.
    That brand new leather was something else ... for about a week anyways.
    It still feels soft and looks better than the old wheel did but its 'worn in' a little already, if you get a new one you will know what i'm talking about.

There is a full leather wheel, which in my mind doesn't look good at all.
    The new wheel also comes with new buttons so that is part of the cost you see, from what I can tell they aren't sold separately.

Cashmere, Heated, Woodgrain, Adaptive Cruise Control wheel:
    GM#25921234
    $704.95 - list price

Different colors and button options will fetch a different price and part number.
    I believe the non ACC (GAP button) equipped wheel was quite a bit cheaper.

Chris @ Rippy can save you about $200 on this one (based on what he quoted me when I was looking for one).

Long story short, wheel went bad, dealer said they aren't made anymore and no longer available anywhere, I asked Chris and he was honest with me, went back to the dealer and OMG they were suddenly able to find them, once they were then the service contract I have paid to replace the wheel.

I chose a service contract since mine was just over the mileage to get an extended warranty on the car.
    Mine has paid out a LOT more than I paid for it.
    $100 Deductible, 48k miles over what the car had on it and 3 years from purchase time.
    This was the longest coverage I could find that was a contract that lists only what it DOESN'T cover, which is infinitely better than one that says what it DOES cover.

You will likely be able to find a longer coverage than mine, I was limited by current miles on my car; if I had 59,999 at time of purchase I could have done like 60,000 miles and 5 years instead of 48k/36month due to the different 'buckets' that they have setup.

You can buy a service contract at ANY TIME from ANY DEALER, some don't even need an inspection done before its effective.
    In some states there are extra provisions that make them even better; in MN for example the service contract company cannot deny repairs for any 'pre-existing conditions'.
    Which means if something was broken when you bought the car or any time before you bought the contract the company is liable to pay for the repairs.

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Rippy, you have the part numbers for available heated steering wheels for 2007?

Cashmere, heated, Woodgrain, no ACC.

Not really bothered with color at this point, just getting sick of the same guy telling me the only option is a salvage yard. If I don't set this thing on fire, I'm swapping the interior to black.

They're billing the F'ing warranty company for this so you would think he would try a bit harder to track down $700 part and run up some labor on someone else' dime.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by mjcaddy View Post
    so this darn thing stopped working, I remember that i tested it 2 times before, once at the dealership when i was buying it and once after, now when it got a bit colder i decided to give it a longer test not just a min, nothing!
    no light, no heat, I checked the fuses and it seems fine,
    I searched here and found a lot of 2nd gen CTS with the same problem, ended up replacing the steering wheel under warranty, which i don't have!
    going to the dealer Wednesday for Navigation update and will tell them to check this too,
    not sure how expensive replacing the whole steering wheel will be specially since this type still in use for MY12 and 13.
    Hello mjcaddy,

I apologize that you are having an issue with your heated steering wheel. Please keep us updated on the trip to the dealership tomorrow and feel free to private message us if you would like any assistance in working with the dealership. Thank you very much for your time. I look forward seeing your future updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by eatyoursandwich View Post
    Rippy, you have the part numbers for available heated steering wheels for 2007?

Cashmere, heated, Woodgrain, no ACC.

Not really bothered with color at this point, just getting sick of the same guy telling me the only option is a salvage yard. If I don't set this thing on fire, I'm swapping the interior to black.

They're billing the F'ing warranty company for this so you would think he would try a bit harder to track down $700 part and run up some labor on someone else' dime.
    Hello eatyoursandwich,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your STS as well. If you would like to further discuss these concerns, please feel free to private message me as well. I can also reach out to an internal resource in regards to the parts numbers you are looking for if you were to private message me your VIN. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

You will need to provide your VIN number. There are many different variations of the wheel, many of which are no longer available except from a salvage yard.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

The 2005-07 are not readily available, however 2008+ are not that difficult to find new. Steering wheel controls can be swapped from your old wheel to the new one, if necessary. GM does sell the switches separately which is why I don't understand the reason they bundled them with the wheel and ended up having to stock so many different part numbers.

I went today and got my Navigation updated, and got a quote for the steering wheel replacement, it will be $635 total, they put the steering wheel on order and gonna call me when it gets in.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Pricey. Knock on wood for mine. But since I have an 06, probably couldn't get one anyway.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My wife barely broke even on her car's extended warranty. My car is the 1SG and even including the CPO fee & extension to 8 years, the warranties paid over twice what they cost.

I know it's pricey but i think its still better than what other GM part sites quoted me for the wheel alone (1SG wheel).

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Yeah, and I'm sure you're like me. You want things working like they're supposed to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.