Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2006 accessory mode, wont start, no turn signal noise, no radio noise

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

Been apart of the site for a while, dont post much tho. Sold my '00 Seville and picked up an '06 STS

Problem: Yesterday the car had a little trouble starting, it wasnt a HUGE problem, but it just didnt start as smooth as usual... then today I drive to work, park it, come out about 4 hours later, and it wont start... message pops up saying "accessory mode" on the dash... so ive done some research, i completely understand accessory mode now. I get out of the car, shut the doors, and get back in, and the car starts... but there is no radio volume, or turn signal noise. So i drive around like this to run my errands, shut the car off, go in the grocery store, car starts but still, no turn signal noise and no radio. So i drive to my next location, and shut it off... come back, car starts, and now the radio and turn signals noise both work. I've searched, and I can find similar subject, but nothing with my specific symptoms. Did the car just need to reset itself? Should I be concerned about something? It almost seemed as if the battery was weak when it was trying to start itself... I cant find my current battery voltage on the dash tho... help!

Thanks

#2 ·
The turn signal sound is actually produced by the sound system. I'd do the system reset; disconnect battery cables (negative first), touch them together & reconnect (negative last). That will reset all modules in the car and the only loss is the possible need to recalibrate the Express Windows and that takes a minute and is in the manual.

If it happens again, the stereo is very susceptable to a battery going bad. How old is it? How long since you had it load tested? A good type 78 w/o top posts is probably a lot less expensive than a Type 101 and usually a lot higher-rated.

#4 ·
I just bought the car so I have no clue how old the battery is. When the car won't start it makes a fast clicking noise... the same noise that my 2000 sts would make when the battery needed a jump. Also, the green illuminated circle around the start button is NOT lit up when it won't start... after a couple tries, and getting out of the car and shutting door, and getting back in, it starts but not very smoothly. I'm thinking a loose battery cable??

#5 ·
Could be, take them off, clean the contacts, tighten them back down and see how she works out...Otherwise, drop some coin on a new battery. Go get it load tested first...

#6 ·
just got it load tested... battery tested at 10.6 volts with the vehicle off, and it had a 0% charge... does this mean a new battery is necessary... could it be the alternator that is not charging the battery? I got quoted for a 101-DLG @ $179.99 from AutoZone

#9 ·
It fits in our 2006 & 2007, including the cover, but it is tight. There's a recent thread with the CCA breakdown. The OEM Type 101 is really puny compared to the 800 CCA of a top-notch Type 78, whatever your personal favorite vendor.

Johnson Controls (a Milwaukee-based company) has been buying-up a lot of the battery companies. I think they've actually got controlling interest in more than 60% of the US market by now. That is not to say that all batteries are the same. They have not necessarily changed design specs but they have moved production facilities. For example, The founders and designers of the Optima have cashed-out and they are now made in Mexico, primarily due to US environmental restrictions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.