how do I get at the oil drain plug
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, how do I get at the oil drain plug in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, this sounds like a stupid question. with all the covers under the 2011 sts which one(s) do I need ...
    nikod7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 sts

how do I get at the oil drain plug

Hi,
    this sounds like a stupid question. with all the covers under the 2011 sts which one(s) do I need to remove to get to the oil plug. also, the filter is also puzzling me, is that the aluminum cylinder to the left of the engine? it can be changed from the top?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Re: how do I get at the oil drain plug

assuming you are talking about the V6, yes it's the metal cylinder, it's called internal filter and to be honest it's stupid.
    and please please DO NOT BUY fram, fram filters sucks, specially the internal ones, it got imploded in my car in less than 3000 miles, I switched to wix filters o'reilly auto parts have them.
    as for the lower cover, I dont know sorry

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

I kind of like the cartridge filter (though a little miffed that the cartridge is as expensive as or more so expensive) than a full 'can' type filter (with a can, spring, gaskets, etc). The ease of change, and the accessibility, make filter changes a breeze. My '06 didn't have the windage (undercover) so the oil drain plug was easily accessible (so no worries). Since my '11 though, I'll have to figure out how to gain access for oil changes (currently I'm still under Cadillac maintenance (free)) so haven't been under the car to check (yet).

John Wicz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS AWD, 3.6L

The rear most cover is the one to remove (4-10mm screws) to access the oil drain plug. I also like the top mounted filter.

Thanks to all!
    I forgot to ask... how do I reset the maintenance menu thing after an oil change?

@ your DIC, scroll to the engine oil life and hold the reset button for few seconds.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Never use the drain plug. I use an electric pump thru the dipstick hole. Everything is done from the top of the engine. I use Mobil1 filters or sometimes K&N.

Jim1966 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts
    I just bought a 2008 sts 6 AWD and plan on doing my own oil. You say do from top? Filter also?

^ Jim: the filter is at the top, the metal canister, but the drain plug is at the bottom of the engine, you can get one of these pumps and suck everything from the top too.

Jim1966 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcaddy
    ^ Jim: the filter is at the top, the metal canister, but the drain plug is at the bottom of the engine, you can get one of these pumps and suck everything from the top too.
    Thanks a lot for info...

ETC92Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado ETC 2007 STS V-6 AWD

I searched the STS and CTS forum when I did the first change on my 2007 STS V6 AWD. There are a couple of threads with pictures. And then just to make sure I checked gmparts.com diagrams to confirm. If you don't use the pump, there are two different crankcase pans, one for rear wheel drive and a different one for AWD. Rear wheel drive plug is on the right rear of the pan. AWD is on the front left of the pan.

Our STS's sit lower than CTS, so I had to run mine up on ramps. Some have used a floor jack, pulled the tire, lowered the car to level, and then drained. It depends what kind of catch pan your using. Mine was to high to get under the car.

The canister filter is very easy to change and the least messy compared to the 'can' filter. It's self draining, no spillage. Just unscrew with a socket, pull it straight up and slip a towel/rag under to catch any residual drips.

Thanks again to all

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.