drivetrain noises
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By btlegacy
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, drivetrain noises in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ok i just did poly engine mounts and poly rear diff bushing. Now im hearing some mettalic noises from driveshaft, ...
    Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

drivetrain noises

ok i just did poly engine mounts and poly rear diff bushing. Now im hearing some mettalic noises from driveshaft, we put the car in the air and rocked the rear passenger wheel and yes the transmission has a lilttle play but sounds normal but the sound is coming from under the heat foil piece. Im aware its a 2 pc driveshaft but thats all i know, we rock the tire and it has this clunk sound. What made me even put it back in the air was the motor mount recheck which i placed the car in r then drive then brake then gas to see if engine jumps. No engine movement but i hear a ting knock sound so this lead to us putting it in the air and turning the tires to dupilcate what we were hearing. Could this be a bearing a u joint?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

btlegacy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6 RWD

Re: drivetrain noises

The diff is going to have a little play when moving the wheel and you will hear a bit of noise from moving it back and forth. If the case has streched or the bearings are damaged inside then you will see excessive play and noise.

Most likely in your case the center carrier bearing which is the bearing the sits in between the two pieces like the one pictures below:

Charles Warren likes this.

Can't replace myself?

btlegacy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6 RWD

Yup, I replaced mine on my own. Exhaust has to come down and the driveshaft will need to get disconnected to bring it out to pull off the bearing.

There are aftermarket and OEM versions available

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/oem-part/...aring/88951975

http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-88951.../dp/B00BC21IC4

I got the gm one from dealer yesterday for 115 after tax. Can you press it in or you took it somewhere to have it pressed in? I have access to lift but they keep telling me we'll have to send it somewhere else because they don't have a press

ok, so the carrier bearing isnt the culprit in my case. i broke my driveshaft. wonder if the poly mounts played a role in this hmmmmm. im just gonna get driveline here in atlanta to build and balance me a 1 piece driveshaft. everyone tells me the 1 piece feels better and puts a tad more power to the ground.

----------

well just off the phone with the guys at the driveshaft shop and unfortunately our cars cant use a 1 pc but they can fix it and balance both front and rear pieces for $200. ive been looking on ebay at used units but scared to go that route due to not knowing what broke mine

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    How did you break a driveshaft? Ls1s destroyed stock aluminum ones but not steel and they put down more power than our cars.

dude i dont know lol. i got a nuclear reactor on bank 1 and 2 lmao. i think the steel is just the outside while the inside is aluminum. wont know until i take it off. its still drivable but it makes clunking noise and metallic pinging noise on the rear shaft. i think ive made over 500 passes lol, im ruff on her.

Well got car on the rack and tech at atlanta drive line service said everything is normal and the center carrier is fine and the shaft is not broke. The slack is in the rearend which is normal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.