Newbie! 2006 STS 3.6 in Denmark - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Newbie! 2006 STS 3.6 in Denmark in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by No Quarter Got the pdfs, thanks Looked for shop service manual on ebay, nothing. Where can I ...
    Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

Re: Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    Got the pdfs, thanks
    Looked for shop service manual on ebay, nothing. Where can I get that, I'm willing to pay ?
    Try www.helminc.com that is where I purchased my three volume service manual set.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Newbie! 2006 STS 3.6 in Denmark

Say Onalaska, are you related to the Wisconsin city by that name near the Minnesota border?

No Quarter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6

I've tried Helminc, it's currently out of stock. Anybody on this forum that would like to part with your 3 volume shop manual? To be sent to California?

Thanks

Now it's time for a technical question. I've sorted out most of the small issues. But one thing keeps annoying me. The left front door handle that's supposed to unlock the car in the right conditions, only works some of the time. The right door and trunk works fine, and the left door also works if I use the key. When looking inside, there are so many small wires, I'm lost. Is there something I can take apart and fix or what do I need to replace?

Thanks

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

...mostly the "micro switch" (...and sometimes also a faulty antenna in the handle...)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3275874

...details here:
    part 1:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ement-how.html

part 2:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ement-how.html

Thanks, will test tomorrow if micro switch is bad.

The seller told me one tire pressure sender also acted up, didn't happen before today. It shows only 10% air pressure clearly wrong. Do all the hundreds of tire pressure sensor I can see on ebay work, or do I have to visit GM? If I get a local tire guy to install it, can I code it to my car myself?

The seller told me one tire pressure sender also acted up, didn't happen before today. It shows only 10% air pressure clearly wrong. Do all the hundreds of tire pressure sensor I can see on ebay work, or do I have to visit GM?
    ...no, won't work...and yes...GM dealer...(but amazon.com sells them, and sometimes also rockauto, too)
    ...for your european export STS you have to use the special export parts, as I told before...they are orange colored, use the 433 MHz frequency band (for STS 2005 - 2007, also used on the export Corvette C6 and export Cadillac XLR)...

GM-part-#25758221
    ...it's a part made by "Schrader", and AIRTEX/WELLS sells them as Part #5S8105
    ( IIRC...."Standard" also made a "copy"...#TPM29 )

...others don't work...!

If I get a local tire guy to install it, can I code it to my car myself?
    ...you can do it by yourself...there is a section/description in the owners manual for "coding/programming"...but it is much easier at/done it by your Cadillac/GM dealership...they have a special "tool"/device for programming...

Can someone do me a favour? I've fixed (maybe only partly) the steering column motor (in and out). But I'd like the steering wheel a bit closer to me, and i'm not sure it extends all the way now. Before I tear everything apart, can someone tell me how much the steering wheel can move in and out on their STS?

Thanks

Can someone do me a favour? I've fixed (maybe only partly) the steering column motor (in and out). But I'd like the steering wheel a bit closer to me, and i'm not sure it extends all the way now. Before I tear everything apart, can someone tell me how much the steering wheel can move in and out on their STS?
    ...not that much...about 25 mm (+/-) on my car...

The navigation is more or less useless, because the Europe DVD is only in details around major cities. My $200 TomTom has all of Europe detailed. is it possible to buy upgrade DVD for GPS, including a detailed Europe or at least Denmark?

Thanks

is it possible to buy upgrade DVD for GPS, including a detailed Europe or at least Denmark?
    ...basically yes...(...and/or maybe no...)

...latest Europe-DVD I got was last year...(...don't ask for the price...well, it was...very...*ouch* )

p/n #20980240, Map data released as version 7.0c (2011/12 Nav Disc-EU Corvette/STS)

...fits export 2005-up Cadillac STS and export Corvette C6...! (CTS, SRX, Escalade and other GM products use other systems and DVDs)

...this version now is detailed for most (west-)european countries...I know Germany was detailed in the past on the older map-DVDs...and still is...
    ...and quote from the (new) booklet:
    "Denmark Coverage Area - The entire Denmark area is covered in detail"

...now the bad news...the DVD isn't available any more, IIRC...but maybe there are some good equipped Cadillac dealerships that still have one in stock and can provide you...(...and sometimes you can find a DVD on ebay...new or used...)
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...d=527519310697

www.ebay.com/itm/GENERAL-MOTORS-CHEVROLET-11-12-CORVETTE-EUROPE-NAVIGATION-DISC-OEM-20980240-/321105242236?ru

...I don't know, if there is a 2013 update for exports...I will ask my dealer...

...btw...like mine, your STS nav will also need a software/firmware update to run the new map-DVDs...
    Quote from the booklet:
    "For Cadillac vehicles built prior to 2007, a service CD update may be required to use this DVD Map Disc."

...unfortunately...the next "problem" for many european Cadillac dealerships...(some don't know that there is software/firmware update for the nav)
    ...and I had a little odyssey...I know, my dealer got this "Service CD Update" for the nav in the past, but unfortunately they have lost their set, and Cadillac Europe and their central GM/Cadillac warehouse in Sweden weren't able to provide a new set...
    (GM warehouse Sweden sent a burned cd copy of one disc after weeks of waiting...but there are two discs needed for the update...)
    ...luckily I found this 2-disc update set myself on ebay...so my dealer could do the update...the Tech II is also needed...

Tried to send you a message, got: You have reached your stored private message quota and cannot send any further messages until space has been created.

??

...for more or new pm you have to clear your own folders/stored pm ("Inbox" and "Sent Items" ) ...new members don't have enough "space" and rights to send and store many pm...I think it's limited on one or two...

So, got some parts home from the US. One is a new Tire Pressure sender for front left wheel, the old one was on and off. Got the local garage to put it in, the old one looked the same but was smashed. And then I thought I could program it myself, according to the manual. So, p-brake on, Acc on. My local manual says Unlock/Lock/Both, while the English I got on PDF from this forum says Lock/Unlock/Both. None did anything. But if I use Lock/Unlock/Both and keep pushing both, it honks twice. Is that the signal to start? I tried by changing pressure on the first wheel, the front left, but no reaction. It can of course be because the new sender doesn't work.

Any ideas?
    Can all of them be removed/coded to be ignored, as a last resort.

It's Part #: 25758221

Update, just took a trip, now the Left Rear also shows 0 pressure, for no reason at all (except annoy me of course)

Lock/Unlock/Both is right...and yes...a honk is the starting signal, but it should be a single one...two honks say the matching mode isn't active anymore...

Can all of them be removed/coded to be ignored, as a last resort.
    ...no...but there might be a chance with a "deeper" Tech II programming...

...and the part-#25758221 for european export TPMS sensors is right...

...for matching the TPMS sensor(s) :
    ...I made a look in the owner manual...the english PDF is right, and my German paper manual says the same... ...and the procedure is also the same in the later manuals...

...well, I never tested this matching procedure for myself, but also the forum says this works...there are some threads, IIRC...

...sometimes it just won't work for the first time/first try...

(...I prefer the dealership and have them do the job...they have the right "TPMS diagnostic tool"...as I said before)

EDIT:

quote STS owner manual 2006 page 5-68 and 5-69:

You will have one minute to match the first tire/wheel
    position, and five minutes overall, to match all
    four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than
    one minute, to match the first tire and wheel, or more
    than five minutes to match all four tire/wheel positions
    the matching process stops and you will need to
    start over.
    1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Press the push-button ignition switch to Acc. (OFF/ACC).
    3. Using the Keyless Access transmitter, lock and
    unlock the vehicles doors.
    4. Press the lock and unlock buttons, at the same
    time, on the Keyless Access transmitter. A single
    horn chirp will sound
    , indicating that the TPMS
    system is ready, and the sensor matching process
    can begin
    5. Start with the driver side front tire.
    6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem. Activate
    the TPMS sensor
    by increasing or decreasing the
    tire air pressure
    for five seconds, or until a horn
    chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to
    30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor
    identification code has been matched to this tire
    position. To decrease the tire air-pressure use the
    pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air
    pressure gauge, or a key.
    7. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and
    repeat the procedure in Step 6.
    8. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and
    repeat the procedure in Step 6.
    9. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the
    procedure in Step 6.
    10. After hearing the confirming single horn chirp for
    the driver side rear tire, a double horn chirp will
    sound to signal the tire matching mode is no longer
    active
    . Press the push-button ignition switch to
    OFF/ACC.
    11. Set all four tires to the recommended air
    pressure level as indicated on the tire and loading
    information label.
    12. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but....
    ...I was just thinking for point 2 ("Press the push-button ignition switch to OFF/ACC" )
    ...it is also possible to press "ACC" for about 5 seconds...this causes another "mode"...it's like "ignition on", but without starting the engine...
    ...the german manual says "Zuendung einschalten" ("ignition on" ) instead off "Zubehoermodus einschalten" (using ACC/accessory-mode)...or it's just a translation error in the manual...
    ...so if the programming with the regular ACC-mode won't work, maybe it's worth to try this..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.