Help with 2005 sts radio
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Help with 2005 sts radio in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a base v6 sts with a non nav radio I would like to know if I can upgrade ...
    Paul718 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Help with 2005 sts radio

I have a base v6 sts with a non nav radio I would like to know if I can upgrade that radio for the factory sts indash unit and if not can I upgrade to an aftermarket indash DVD keeping all my features and settings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Re: Help with 2005 sts radio

by my understanding the STS nav convert is just plug and play, the nav and the base radio both uses the same connectors in the back the only thing i'm not sure about is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) you'll need to get that data to the navigation to be able use some of the functions otherwise the car will think it's driving all the time.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

there is a huge long thread about this...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...sts-100-a.html

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO INSTALL NAV INTO A NON NAV STS IS:

Take your stock radio out.
    Unplug the two harnesses and the am/fm antenna.
    Plug the two harnesses into the nav.
    Plug the antenna into the top am/fm antenna connector.
    Pop the dash panel by the windshield up and run the GPS antenna connector through to the NAV/radio location.
    Plug (or splice) the GPS antenna into the pink connector on the back of the NAV.
    Reinstall the NAV.
    Although to get full functionality there are more steps needed than that.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I think there's some posts that make the VSS connection sound harder than it really is. The members here are great and running a wire isn't that big a deal for many of us. I think it's the steep climb to get turn-by-turn guidance audio and install the additional speakers & different/additional amplifier that are required to get the benefit of the Bose 5.1 that convinced some members to go aftermarket.

After all, unless you're going to add ACC & HUD integration, the STS Nav isn't at all remarkable. There are some nice posts showing aftermarket refits that look nice and bring more state-of-the-art Nav & connectivity options.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    I think there's some posts that make the VSS connection sound harder than it really is. The members here are great and running a wire isn't that big a deal for many of us. I think it's the steep climb to get turn-by-turn guidance audio and install the additional speakers & different/additional amplifier that are required to get the benefit of the Bose 5.1 that convinced some members to go aftermarket.

After all, unless you're going to add ACC & HUD integration, the STS Nav isn't at all remarkable. There are some nice posts showing aftermarket refits that look nice and bring more state-of-the-art Nav & connectivity options.
    Problem going aftermarket for some is the loss of switch on the fly adjustment of the magnetic ride control and adjusting the driver 1/2 personalization settings.

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k

I know plenty of 1st Gen CTS folks who have installed aftermarket HUs and retained DIC functionality. However, I have not seen it done in an STS on here yet. In the CTS the disc changer mechanism is removed from the unit and the new HU installed in its place. The motherboard needs to be modified and a few circuts need to be rearranged in order to keep the DIC working but its been done. Can't imagine it being much different in an STS as the non-NAV units are fairly similar.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

It's different, the first gen CTS, 04-06 SRX have the DIC in the radio/nav, so they need to keep the opt part and modify the board to keep the DIC.
    STS should be easier since the DIC is in the dash, but as 1badcadsts said they gonna lose the MRC and the driver personalization settings.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcaddy View Post
    It's different, the first gen CTS, 04-06 SRX have the DIC in the radio/nav, so they need to keep the opt part and modify the board to keep the DIC.
    STS should be easier since the DIC is in the dash, but as 1badcadsts said they gonna lose the MRC and the driver personalization settings.
    Couldn't the board in the STS radio be modified to retain MRC and memory function?
    Past Cadillac's

You probably don't need to modify the board since you are changing the whole unit but you'll need a programmable unit to add that function to it, If that's available then it's matter of getting the "function" that being used by the oem unit and program it in the new unit.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcaddy View Post
    You probably don't need to modify the board since you are changing the whole unit but you'll need a programmable unit to add that function to it, If that's available then it's matter of getting the "function" that being used by the oem unit and program it in the new unit.
    I'm not saying to remove the entire unit, what I'm saying is to do the same thing the 1st Gen CTS owners do, remove the CD mech and put the new HU in place of it, leaving the OEM display there as well as all factory buttons. The new HU is installed inside the body of the OEM unit.
    Past Cadillac's

that will work, the only thing is :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1szjysds3h3ho69/2.JPG

If you "cut out" the CD changer :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkpf0pgqbsncqdd/1.JPG

you'll lose the buttons on the front too,

vs:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k6qo7tzwnoc533/cts1.JPG

If you are talking about the base radio (non NAV) then yeah it should work the same way in the CTS, but in the base STS I dont think there is MRC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp38chbtva...ts%20radio.JPG

if you think the other way around, keep the bottom part (nav units), move whatever you need from the upper part (board, connections, etc), then remove the screen and install your new unit there,
    I'm sure there are units that can still function as a screen, so you'll still have all your functions plus the new unit functions,
    all that is just in theory,
    I have new project (work) is coming soon, if that works out, then i'll have the money and the time to do this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Problem going aftermarket for some is the loss of switch on the fly adjustment of the magnetic ride control and adjusting the driver 1/2 personalization settings.
    I agree on the MRC but the old radio could be reconnected to save setting changes when needed. I read somewhere about a vendor making a module that helps with chimes. The best aftermarket job I saw on this forum had the base radio still installed.

I don't think I'd do it. I like the OEM but IF.....

ITSQUIK is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS
    I relocated my factory unit to the trunk.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hhunter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Why is it in your trunk?

That keeps the car's data bus intact and allows him to just piggy back an aftermarket unit without interfering with anything stock.
    Past Cadillac's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.