Park Assist Down
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Park Assist Down in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hopefully someone can help me find and repair/replace the Park Assist mode/module on my STS4 N* 1SF. Just like other ...
    Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Park Assist Down

Hopefully someone can help me find and repair/replace the Park Assist mode/module on my STS4 N* 1SF. Just like other items that have broken down on this car, it started off being an intermittent problem then escalated to fully non-functioning. When it worked I could hear the audible and see the yellow and red lites. As it began to stop working either both audible and visual worked sometimes or both would not work. Never one or the other. Now... nothing.

It worked so flawlessly for so long. Backing into the garage was perfect every time.
    These cars have a way of spoiling a person. When I drive the ole lady's older E class it seems like a real pain to use the key! Something I use to just accept as a function of driving that I no longer had to deal with. The when you have to deal with it, it seems like such an imposition!

I really need my park assist and will have it fixed (if it's not too expensive)... I just would rather do it myself.

Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Test for power.

If there's power to the module and no lights or sounds you cannot put it into diagnostic mode and almost always is the urpa module.

Re: Park Assist Down

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it, but... kindda cryptic for an uninformed guy like me. I know some of the basic stuff about these cars but when it comes to the S&M and the F'in/M I get a little lost! Could you go into depth a little? Like, where's & what's the urpa and how to test it for power??? Do I ask Chris At Rippy for an urpa and he'll know what I want? ...and, how do I put it in diagnostic mode???
    No kiddin', Thanks again!

If its not lighting up you cannot put it in diagnostic mode

URPA
    Ultrasonic
    Rear
    Parking
    Assist

Module is in the trunk under the rear window shelf, remove the upper inside liner you will see 3 modules the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), Rear Integration Module (RIM) and Rear Object Sensor Control Module or URPA. The URPA is the SMALLEST of the 3 with only 1 connector plug. Trace the wiring and you will see an open single pin plug, that is the URPA diagnostic connector which is spoken below.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Displaying

This vehicle is equipped with an on-board diagnostic display feature capable of displaying diagnostic trouble codes using the 3 indicators on the rear parking assist display. After the bulb check has been completed, the red outside indicator flashes to indicate a malfunction with the system. The module disables operation of the URPA system under this condition.

In order to enter the diagnostic mode, complete the following actions:
    •With the ignition turned OFF, short the rear parking assist diagnostic connector to ground while the vehicle is in PARK. Refer to Rear Parking Assist Component Views for the location of the rear parking assist diagnostic connector.
    •Turn the ignition ON.
    •Place foot on the brake.
    •Shift the vehicle into REVERSE within 5 seconds.
    If the vehicle is not shifted into reverse within 5 seconds after turning the ignition ON, the diagnostic mode will still be initiated. However, a reverse input wiring fault will be registered as sequence #7 as shown in the Diagnostic Indicator table below. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Clearing for specific steps on how to clear diagnostic trouble codes. After the reverse input wiring code is cleared, repeat the diagnostic trouble code displaying steps in order to enter the diagnostic mode.
    When the diagnostic mode is first entered, the rear parking assist display displays the amber outside indicator and the red outside indicator. Then the indicators on the rear parking assist display will display one or more of the sequences in the table below to indicate where the fault exists within the rear parking assist system. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Clearing for the specific steps on how to clear diagnostic trouble codes.

#

State/Fault Location

Amber Outside

Amber Middle

Red Outside

Flashing

Start of Diagnostics

X

--

X

--

RR Corner Object Sensor and Wiring

X

--

--

--

RR Middle Object Sensor and Wiring

X

X

--

--

LR Middle Object Sensor and Wiring

--

X

X

--

LR Corner Object Sensor and Wiring

--

--

X

--

Chime Warning Wiring

--

X

--

--

Reverse Input Wiring

--

X

--

X

Sensor Supply Voltage Circuit and Sensor Low Reference Circuit

Sensor Supply Voltage Circuit and Sensor Low Reference Circuit

Important: This diagnostic pattern sets for an open sensor supply voltage circuit and sensor low reference circuit.

X

X

X

X

Flashes in the following sequence:
    Amber Outside
    Amber Outside and Amber Middle
    Amber Middle and Red Outside
    Red Outside

Sensor Supply Voltage Circuit

Important: This diagnostic pattern sets for a short to ground in the sensor supply voltage circuit.

X

X

X

--

WOW!!!

I didn't expect that, but that's exactly what I was talkin' about! You definitely rock !

Thank you. I'll let you know how I make out!!

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

1bad cad what manual do you use?

GM techline

Helps to have an uncle who is the parts manager at a major GM dealer.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

i think my alldatadiy subscription has that same info about the URPA

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Alright thanks

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

Before you delve deeper into it - make sure that the sensor connections are clean. Lot's of URPAs on the Escalade went off because of the dirt being slung on the connections. Not sure how it is on the STS, but worth a look.

When I shift into reverse I get nothin'. No lights at all. When it worked the red lite would blink once. But when I leave today I will give all the sensors a good wipe. Found the module for $75. The sensors in the bumper retail for $303 ea. online!

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    When I shift into reverse I get nothin'. No lights at all. When it worked the red lite would blink once. But when I leave today I will give all the sensors a good wipe. Found the module for $75. The sensors in the bumper retail for $303 ea. online!
    The sensor connections are actually behind he bumper. If you can get to them - unplug them and use some electr. parts cleaner.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I recommend using dielectric grease on reassembly. It's great for fussy connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    i think my alldatadiy subscription has that same info about the URPA
    I tried to find it in alldatadiy and couldn't find it stated like what 1Bad states above. I'm new to alldatadiy and I was wondering if you may have seen it under another path. The path I used was Vehicle » Relays and Modules » Relays and Modules - Accessories and Optional Equipment » Parking Assist Control Module . From that point it seems all the links lead out of the » Parking Assist Control Module area. Alldatadiy did give me the part number which is cool.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Try these?

Vehicle » Accessories and Optional Equipment » Collision Avoidance and Parking Assist Systems » Description and Operation » Object Detection Description and Operation (RPA)

Vehicle » Accessories and Optional Equipment » Collision Avoidance and Parking Assist Systems » Testing and Inspection » Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.