Cadillac Owners Forum banner

"Creeky" Center Console

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Guy.Seminerio 
#1 ·
Hello all it has been awhile since I have been on here! I bought my STS on August 15th. It is a black on black 2007 STS V6 AWD 1SB:hmm: Whatever that means! Anyways I have noticed that my center console lid makes a cheap plastic-y creek whenever I set my elbow on it... It gets very annoying when driving without the radio on. Is there any remedy to this? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine did in my 07 sts and it does in my current one. I've just assumed that was the way it is although ill bet some well placed sticky felt stuff might stop the noise. It seems like the leather is rubbing against other leather or plastic parts that make up the armrest. I'd be interested in a solution. First thing I do when I sit in the car is position myself by pushing weight down on that center armrest.

#3 ·
I have that in my SRX not the STS, I just assumed i's the plasticy nature of the SRX!.
I think the best way to figure it out is to take couple hours of your weekend and take the center console apart, I'm sure it will be something need to be tighten a bit more.

#4 ·
There may be plastic pieces that are dried out or loose. The easiest fix is to lubricate underneath the lid with some gummi pflege and see if it goes away.

Otherwise you can take the console out. In order to do so you will have to take a bunch of stuff out including the seats to get to all the bolts.

#5 ·
I think the creeks are just the way the STS interior is. My seats creak, my console creeks, etc...GM definitely went CHEAP....

#6 ·
Ok I just confirmed it on my car. It's the leather that's wrapped around the armrest lid around the inner edges rubbing against the portion of the leather it contacts as you close it. Then as you push weight on it it rubs more, making noise. There's no doubt that's what it is in my case. Ill bet some thin felt stuff will solve this. Anyway I'm in no rush to get after this issue.

#7 ·
There is a TSB to fix the creaky seats. I had it done to both of my STSs and it made a big difference.

For my console lid I put the fuzzy side of Velcro on the bottom part, towards the front, where the lid touches when it's closed. It helps by keeping the lid from moving up and down and the lid closes tighter. Had to mess with it for a while, but it's pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.