05 ext owner looking to buy 05 n* sts4 1sg with hud and acc
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 ext owner looking to buy 05 n* sts4 1sg with hud and acc in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone, I'm not new here, I just don't post alot. I have a question if you don't mind giving ...
    eye4aneye83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts4 premium black raven, 05 escalade ext, pearl white

05 ext owner looking to buy 05 n* sts4 1sg with hud and acc

Hi everyone, I'm not new here, I just don't post alot. I have a question if you don't mind giving me some input. I have an 05 escalade ext 6.0 awd pearl white with 75k, 24 in newer style escalade wheel replicas on her and in like mint condition. Love the truck but killing me on mpg. So now I'm looking into an sts. My buddy has an 05 n* rwd and loves it but according to him it's terrible in the snow up here. (upstate ny). So I'm looking at getting the awd version. I found an 05 sts4 n* 1sg package with hud and acc at a Cadillac dealership about an hours drive from me. It has 107k on it but they say it has a clean car fax and is in beautiful shape inside and out. They were asking 12,500. I asked him if I showed up with $10k cash would they let it go at that. He answered me very quickly with no. I said thanks anyways and that was that. Well he got back to me and said they would take $10k plus tax and Dmv. I said I will set up a time to drive out there and take a look. Now my concern is what should I be looking for on this car with 107k on it? I know my escalade inside and out blind folded. I am an ase certified master tech and repair all my own vehicles at home. So I'm not afraid of fixing something. Any common issues with these like awd systems or suspension? Is the price right? Just getting a feel for this before I commit to buying this and putting the ext up for sale. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Rwd is a task Ben with dedicated snows. Awd is amazing but not mpg friendly. I net 15 mpg on my 05 1sg sts4 father gets 17 with his 07 1sg sts4 (07 the v8 got a 6 speed tranny). If your looking for mpg your better of getting a Honda beater or a DTS if its gotta be a caddy.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: 05 ext owner looking to buy 05 n* sts4 1sg with hud and acc

Where is the 05 awd you're looking at?

Hi thanks for the quick response. I do wish it was at least an 07 with the 6 speed. I also had no idea the mpg was that terrible. The one on looking at is in Syracuse, ny at crest Cadillac. Here is a link http://www.crestcadillac.com/Vehicle...?id=2063607673.

jdelp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 Sport Red Tintcoat STS-4 1SG N*

I have an 05 n* 1sg sts4 that averages around 18mpg but that can jump up or more frequently down depending on how heavy your right foot is. I find myself timing lights and trying to feather the throttle whenever I can - I enjoy the 320hp but also don't like filling up every 4 days @ $3.50+ a gallon. I bought mine a year and a half ago with 87k and I am at 102k now; I have replaced the MRC shocks which are VERY expensive (luckily mine were done under the extended warranty I bought). Even doing your own work, the parts alone on those MRC's are just stupid high - I've seen where some have converted to traditional suspensions but don't know that that's recommended by most. I also had the cats replaced under TSB at no cost at my local caddy dealer. I thought the cats were throwing a CEL but after replacing I was still getting it so I tightened down the manifold bolts, cleaned the throttle body and haven't had a CEL since. The awd handled the snow here in Indiana really well last year, but gotta admit if it was 3" or more I didn't like driving it just because it sits so low, plus I have a '98 Tahoe in the garage that is used for crap weather. Well, that's about my .02 - good luck in whatever you decide!

Wow that some great info, thanks for taking the time to write that up jdelp. I get about 12.5 mpg around town and 18mpg on the highway, about 13.8 avg for my driving in the ext. So the sts awd doesn't sound to be much better off if I'm only looking for mpg.

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

It's a V8 engine, do you expect a 4-cyl. mpg?!?

I get average 21/mpg with the STS which is substantially better than the 13mpg I was getting with the Lade.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

I know what you mean atlrus, I guess I'm just looking for better then what I'm getting now. If I get close to that in my ext than I'll just stick with it. It's also kinda scary going to a completely new vehicle with higher mileage that you didn't maintain yourself. Who knows what will need to be replaced first and how soon after I buy it. All in all I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if someone was in my shoes would you go for the sts and sell the ext, I'll prolly be ahead 6-7k if I sold it and bought the sts for 10k.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Given the feature/function/price you get (keyless entry, push button start, bluetooth phone, acc, etc.) you can't afford the gas? Buy a Toyota; you can't afford to keep those features all working, either. Or just buy a new Korean car.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

guys please there's nothing wrong with someone buying luxury and looking for better MPG, I'm in the same boat, I love cadillacs and i love my cadillacs to do good mileage,
    that aside i can vouch for the 6 speed transmission on 07+, I get around 20mpg (09 STS4 N* 1SG) and I usually have a heavy foot.

I can afford it, that's not the issue. I also can afford to keep my ext in extremely nice condition both cosmetically and mechanically. I guess I'm just searching for a reason to get something new and I can't find anything else I don't like about the ext besides mpg. So that's why I focused on it. No foreign cars for me, strictly gm here. I'll keep looking til I find a nice 07+ with all the features I want since I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for the input.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by eye4aneye83 View Post
    I can afford it, that's not the issue. I also can afford to keep my ext in extremely nice condition both cosmetically and mechanically. I guess I'm just searching for a reason to get something new and I can't find anything else I don't like about the ext besides mpg. So that's why I focused on it. No foreign cars for me, strictly gm here. I'll keep looking til I find a nice 07+ with all the features I want since I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for the input.
    Hello eye4aneye83,

If you need any assistance locating a vehicle, please feel free to private message me or reach out to us at socialmedia@gm.com. I would be happy to assist you with this. If you send an email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I4I - I didn't mean to be as harsh as that reads. If you like your truck, I'm not so sure an STS is going to please you, anyway. Even the V6 (which I wouldn't recommend) won't get all that better mileage. You will miss the room.

The STS is not a big car. It's barely mid-size; only by today's 'less is more' standards can it be considered suitable for four adiults to go touring. (The same trend labeled the DTS full-size; it wasn't really. Enter the Escalade.)

If your EXT is immaculate, be happy. If you sense a negative glace from those that feel your choice is wrong, beware giving anyone else the keys to your happiness. Those are your keys; losing them or giving them away both lead away from happiness.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

CARS>TRUCKS! Not in size obviously, but in betterness! In your case, the car will be more fun, lower to the ground, more nimble, better stability, lighter, faster, more economical, better looking, more feature laden. I'm always going to be into cars. I LOVE the feeling of driving my car, or any car for that matter, after spending a lot of time in a larger, taller vehicle. My buddy's 07 BMW X5, a chrysler town and country I had to rent, a ford econoline 15 passenger van I had to rent (what a big difference that one was.) Sitting back in my car makes me feel like I'm driving an F1 car for a couple of days. Do it!

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

Quote Originally Posted by eye4aneye83 View Post
    I know what you mean atlrus, I guess I'm just looking for better then what I'm getting now. If I get close to that in my ext than I'll just stick with it. It's also kinda scary going to a completely new vehicle with higher mileage that you didn't maintain yourself. Who knows what will need to be replaced first and how soon after I buy it. All in all I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if someone was in my shoes would you go for the sts and sell the ext, I'll prolly be ahead 6-7k if I sold it and bought the sts for 10k.
    It would be a tough decision. Not to mention that size alone would make it weird in the beginning. The STS is by no means a full-size luxury vehicle - it's pretty big on the outside, but very tight inside. Then again, you won't find much bigger car if you want to stay GM.

The problem with mpg is that if you want a large luxury car - it must have a big engine and in turn - the mpg will be awful. Low 20s is I think the norm, without going to the hybrids, which cost more than the gas savings are worth. Add the AWD and there goes some more mpg down the drain.
    And a big car with small engine is just unnatural.

As far as repairs - the parts are cheaper than the Escalade and since you are doing your own labor - doesn't seem like an expensive car to maintain/repair, except for the infamous magnetic ride. In my area there are plenty of STS' for sale with near 200K miles on the odometer, which comes to show that the car will run for a while

CARS>TRUCKS! Not in size obviously, but in betterness!
    It all depends. A Hyundai better than an Escalade? Think not
    Here in MI a lot of people camp, fish or hunt as a religion (sometimes all three), a low-sitting car = useless. In all honesty, if I did not have a full size SUV - I would've never bought a car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.