Looking at a 2005...need your opinions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Looking at a 2005...need your opinions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2006 DTS owner...Love the car, looking to add a STS AWD for winter driving. Choices are sparse where i come ...
    northstar1958 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Looking at a 2005...need your opinions

2006 DTS owner...Love the car, looking to add a STS AWD for winter driving. Choices are sparse where i come from so I've been patient in my search. I located one 500 miles (one way) being sold by a private individual. 2005 northstar with all the options (or so he says). 80,000 miles. Looks to be in nice shape (only seen pics). Asking price 14,500 which i think is quite high. Whats your opinion on this cars worth? Not looking for the steal of the century, just a fair price i can live with. Thanks.

Northstar

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Alden's Daddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 V8 1SG
    Just for reference, I got an 07 Nstar AWD with 1sg package and 65k miles for $15,200 about a month ago.

johng99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 StS V8

Re: Looking at a 2005...need your opinions

Cargurus has a nice feature to checking pricing on cars - select a vehicle and then look at it's market value calculator. In my area it shows the average dealer asking price for a 2005 with 80k miles is around $12,500. Private party sale should be less.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

you should not pay more than $10,000 from a private party. After all it is a nine year old car.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

I'd say if it have the 1sg package it should be around $12-13k.

achavez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 4.6ltr 1SE

I wouldn't pay more than 11k private party. Hes charging as much or more than a dealership

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS
    you should not pay more than $10,000 from a private party. After all it is a nine year old car.
    It's not a integra. It's still a Cadillac with some value.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

'All the options' means a lot less than the specific RPO codes on the label that's on the spare tire cover. The main difference between 1SF & 1SG is that 1SF cars may have as options many of the features generally included on 1SG cars. 1SE is a base V8 regardless of what the seller may say. (1SZ is just a marketing program.)

For that age & mileage, I think that car would have to be equipped exactly to your preference (every option, feature & color) and in outstanding condition. Have you test-driven several. Could you define your ideal STS?

Thanks for the input. Its not my ideal STS...its silver with grey interior, I'm really looking for the cashmere or black interior. Have not seen the car in person, but for the right price i would be a buyer considering everything is as its suppose to be. I am one who really dis-likes car buying....I will keep you posted if anything happens. Thanks for the input.

Nightshadow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 White STS 3.6L V6 & 1995 V8 Red Eldorado ETC

Personally I think the price is too high. I paid $14,200 from a dealer for a 2006 with every single option on it except the HUD on the windshield. I got the cold weather package, the cooled front seats, sun roof, the larger allow rims, etc, and it only had about 65k miles on it. By the way, the 14.2k price tag included all taxes and fees. You can always direct that seller to this forum as most of the people on here are pretty knowledgeable with their Cadillac vehicles and pricing. I know I researched mine a good 2 months before finding "the right one" about 350 miles south of where I live. Good luck, its an amazing car that I truly adore.

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

^^^ How is it too high in comparison? You paid $14.2 for V6 RWD without all options and yet you say 14.5 is too much for V8 AWD loaded?!? Makes no sense.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by atlrus View Post
    ^^^ How is it too high in comparison? You paid $14.2 for V6 RWD without all options and yet you say 14.5 is too much for V8 AWD loaded?!? Makes no sense.
    He didn't say if his was RWD or AWD.
    $14.2 for everything out the door. Assuming 7% sales tax and other fees, the car was likely $12,999 on the lot.
    Also his was 2006 with 65k miles, the OP is looking at a 2005 with 80k+ miles.
    The V6 wasn't available with HUD in 2006, V8 only option.
    So chances are high that his V6 had as many options as the V8 from 2005 had.

The term "loaded" means nothing at all when it comes to a Cadillac.

FWIW:
    KBB "private party"
    lists a 'fully optioned' 2005 AWD N* w/ 80,000 miles being worth from 13k-14.6k in my area.
    lists a 'fully optioned' 2006 AWD V6 w/ 65,000 miles being worth from 13k-14.7k in my area.
    lists a 'fully optioned' 2006 RWD V6 w/ 65,000 miles being worth from 10.8k-12.4k in my area.
    mckellyb likes this.

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

He did say he was looking at AWD, as well as that the car had "all options", which is what I call fully loaded.

As you can see from the numbers you've posted, there isn't any price difference between V8 with 80K miles and V6 with 65K miles, which is the way it should be and the difference between v6 rwd and v8 awd with those miles is near $3K!

If the guy thinks he got the deal of the century at $14.2for v6 rwd, then $14.5 for an AWD V8 is even better, considering the seller will probably easily let it go for $14K or less. You know you can negotiate private party sales, too, right? You go over there with the money in hand - you will get it for $14.5 "out of the door" no problem. So $300 more is "too high"? Pleeease...

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

the OP is looking for AWD.

There is no indication if Nightshadow purchased a RWD or AWD model car.

Regardless it is really up to the OP if the car is what he is looking for.

A small update to the STS search. The owner has come down on the price to 13,500. I still have not seen it being 400 miles away. Theres no known mechanical problems, no codes, all as it should be according to the owner. The vehicle does look like its in nice shape. Never owning a AWD before, how reliable is the AWD system? Any known problems? I kind of strayed away from the older SRX models because of transfer case or differential problems. (just things i read on some of the forums). Another question, Does the AWD have the MRC shocks, or was it an option? The owner never heard of MRC. Thanks for info. I will try and post a link to the listing of the car below.

http://www.bismanonline.com/2005_cadillac_sts_awd

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.