Looking at a 2005...need your opinions - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Looking at a 2005...need your opinions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Like so many things about this car, the features you ask about are popular with some members and not as ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Looking at a 2005...need your opinions

Like so many things about this car, the features you ask about are popular with some members and not as popular with others. Naturally enough, they tend to have models with the options they prefer.

MRC - FE3 & F55 is a high-tech active shock/suspension that can deliver great handling but can be extraordinarily expensive to replace when necessary. Even in Toruing Mode, the sport orientation of the suspension dominates; all-the-more-so in the AWD.

Do you want it?

Drive one with & one without.

Next feature?

My wife prefers her RWD but has snow tires in Winter. This RWD is solid; just keep your right foot in it.

Have fun!

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

I won't buy one without seeing and driving it. From my Corvette buying days I've seen too many neglected, abused, and uncared for cars described as pristine or showroom condition. I've wasted too many weekends driving around all over the area checking out cars described as above that weren't anywhere near the condition or package level as advertised. The same goes for a few other vehicles I've looked at, Cadillacs, the Chrysler 300M Specials, and a few mid-size SUVs.

If you have a strong attachment to that car then maybe ask the owner to send you a picture of the RPO label in the trunk then you can verify the car indeed has all options. But buyer beware, you read a lot of horror stories on the web about people buying cars long distance and having issues on the drive home with them. I test drove a Chrysler 300M 4 years ago and almost bought it. As luck would have it I got lost and stuck in traffic so I had the car running over an hour. After about 60 minutes of driving it the SES light came on. The dealer determined it was a transmission code and I didn't buy it. I think they wholesaled it off instead of trying to fix it. It never reappeared in their inventory. Had I not gotten lost I would have wound up with a problem car.

I'd also make sure I got a carfax on it as they're supposed to guarantee that anything not reported that you find later is covered by a buy-back guarantee. I don't have any experience with that but it might be piece of mind.

As for the AWD question. I contemplated the same thing as instead of an AWD STS I wound up with a RWD V model on an impulse buy. Still needing a reliable winter car I looked at the AWD STS and found among other things that the price of the car will vary greatly from one part of the country to another. An AWD car might be much cheaper in Phoenix, AZ than in Buffalo, NY.

I don't know if GM has the AWD history of reliability to persuade me to buy one. I have an AWD Escalade and learned they have quite a few issues with differential and transfer cases. In the end I wound up with an Audi A6 V8. They've got quite an extensive AWD history and I felt more comfortable with trying one of those in the end. I have a co-worker that is an enthusiast and can talk about Audis all day. I picked his brain and chose the Audi after quite a bit of discussion with him. I haven't had it in snow yet but that 4.2L V8 at lower RPM feels like it has more torque than my supercharged 4.4L V8 in the 2500RPM range. I enjoy driving that Audi as much as my V.

If you have your heart set on that STS from a private seller then I'd low ball him quite a bit. He isn't going to get anywhere near $14K on trade in or a non-private buyer like CarMax. I'm thinking $12K at max if it's pristine condition at 80K miles.

Also you already have an FWD car. I survived three winters in the D.C. area with my FWD Eldorado and last generation STS just fine. AWD is nice but might not be something you absolutely need to get before this winter sets in.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

northstar1958, If you had this car what do you think the dealer would offer for this 9 year old car on trade. Then why pay premium for a car when the owner can't give a warranty or take a trade in. Danny

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    ...I test drove a Chrysler 300M 4 years ago and almost bought it. ... After about 60 minutes of driving it the SES light came on. The dealer determined it was a transmission code and I didn't buy it. ...
    A Chrysler product with transmission issues? That never ever happens... :grin:

I feel AWD is worth it if you deal with snow at all and cannot afford/justify a winter beater and/or a set of snow tires.
    Is an AWD car a little slower? Sure it is, there is extra weight and more mechanical resistance from running power to both places.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    A Chrysler product with transmission issues? That never ever happens... :grin:
    Yeah, after looking at a couple of described, 'pristine' condition vehicles I passed when I found them to be in worse cosmetic or mechanical condition that my, 'beater' car and quickly gave up the idea of owning a Chrysler product. I was tempted though to look at the AWD Magnum wagon. It's funny, for a single guy to want a station wagon but there is something about the looks and utility of the Magnum that was tempting for me. I also like the Audi wagon and CTS in wagon configuration. I had the CTS wagon for two weeks as a rental on a business trip and fell in love with that car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    I feel AWD is worth it if you deal with snow at all and cannot afford/justify a winter beater and/or a set of snow tires.
    Is an AWD car a little slower? Sure it is, there is extra weight and more mechanical resistance from running power to both places.
    It depends on how the car is set up I guess. I wound up with a 4.2L V8 Audi A6 AWD to replace my beater. I must say that car is fast and that's coming from driving my STS-V every other day. Although it's not faster than my V if you mash the pedal to the floor it seems to have better power in the low RPM, light throttle range than my V. In normal traffic maneuvers the A6 is more enjoyable to drive where the V is more fun. It doesn't even occur to me that the A6 is AWD, I can't feel any of the quirkiness that I feel in my Escalade's or other domestic AWD vehicles I've been in.

I never had European before getting the Audi last month but I'm quickly being won over.

I agree with you on the AWD for any kind of snow areas. It's also quite good in the rain compared to a FWD or RWD only vehicle. I've been caught in surprise snow a few times in one of my RWD vehicles, it's no fun even with all season tires.

AztecSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts

Quote Originally Posted by northstar1958 View Post
    A small update to the STS search. The owner has come down on the price to 13,500. I still have not seen it being 400 miles away. Theres no known mechanical problems, no codes, all as it should be according to the owner. The vehicle does look like its in nice shape. Never owning a AWD before, how reliable is the AWD system? Any known problems? I kind of strayed away from the older SRX models because of transfer case or differential problems. (just things i read on some of the forums). Another question, Does the AWD have the MRC shocks, or was it an option? The owner never heard of MRC. Thanks for info. I will try and post a link to the listing of the car below.

http://www.bismanonline.com/2005_cadillac_sts_awd
    That's one sexy car looks to have the 18" alloys as well

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Local business has company car for sale. 06 Sts, v8, rwd, 240k miles, $6k or best offer. Says it has been very well maintained. Looks good.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If the oil & coolent have been changed occording to the OLM with GM spec, my concerns wouldn't be about the N*. But that is a triip to the moon on all sorts of roads.

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

What part of the world are you in? I'm in Fort Worth, have a 2005 RWD N*, but have had, and do have, enough AWD vehicles to know what to look for.

SHANENATAS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

I bought my 05 STS almost 2 years ago with 186,000 miles for 6,000$. It has 190,000 today. Not sure what package but I know it has every option except the HUD, not needed. V8 N* and other than running good synthetic oil and K&N oil filter the only other thing I had to do (just a little bit ago actually) is tighten down the 10 intake manifold bolts. My brother broke the 1st one, thank God for left handed drill bits, it came right out. I also used blue locktight on them. Other than that I absolutely LOVE my STS. Rides smooth and goes when I need her to. My buddy has the 06 STS V and he said my suspension feels better than his. For this car having 190,000 on her you couldn't tell it when passing everyone else. Passenger door doesn't always want to open from the outside. And the trunk "soft button" above the license plate doesn't work. When I have the FOB in the trunk it will work. I have read I need to reconnect the antenna back there or something. Everything else works perfectly.
    mjcaddy likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.