2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I took my car to the dealer and told them I wanted to update my Navigation DVD. They said they ...
    cstrail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work

I took my car to the dealer and told them I wanted to update my Navigation DVD. They said they updated the NAV unit so it would work with the new discs. I don't know that they did though because the new disc when I insert it just has a bunch of lines on the display. It does not say there is no disc, it just seems to be corrupt.

Is this what happens when the NAV firmware has not been updated to accept the new discs?

I question whether or not they did update the unit because I had read somewhere else on here that if the unit had the update, my menu would have the Performance or Touring option in a different menu than before. It is still in the same spot it was before I took it.

I would call the dealer back again, but this is the 3rd time they looked at it and say that it is fine.

with my old disc I cannot even enter and address. when I bring up the route option I do not get a map of the US. I did 1 time and then the NAV unit locked up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Re: 2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work

ok i see you are in central illinois, I'm in DuPage county, if can you come by we can test my old and new dvds

if you cant, then please do this for me, go to your nav. Get to the map screen by pressing the globe hard key.
    Press "menu" Above the "memory points" , and directly across from the title "nav menu" is a blank space. Press and hold your finger down there for about 5 seconds until a keypad appears. You are basically pressing on a hidden key
    When the keypad appears, type in 295660 for 2008+ cars (9448 for older.) (thanks to guy Seminerio for the how to) and Under parts info, what is your "navi version?"and What is your soft rel?

MJ

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If you have Touring & Performance choices, your car has MRC. If the choices aren't on the first screen, your dealer did not perform the upgrade correctly. There is a like to the procedure in the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum.

Good luck. They don't know what they are doing and may not want to admit it.

----------

MJ is right. There's a thread with screen shots & I posted my before & after firmware levels.

Oops, I don't see a link. I'll find it & post it.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Based on what you said with your old disc you might have another issue besides needing the update. You might try disconnecting the battery for a full reset of the Nav unit.

Also, the new disc will usually say that a disc is not inserted or that it is not a Nav disc when you need the update.

It sounds possible that the dealer may have corrupted the firmware when they did the update (hopefully not).

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Thanks for the shout out mjcaddy but that's just one of the many things I learned on this forum. I think I first saw it from echase3 who I'm sure learned it from someone else.

Thanks all for your replies. Wife got home from work just a littel bit ago so I went out to do the hidden menu check. I do have my old disc in right now, the 2005 version. At least the map somewhat works with this in. Anyway, NAVI Version is 0C80. I attachced a pic, so you can have a look. I couldn't find Software Version. The second pic shows what is going on with my 2005 map disc. On the screen where I would normally see the us map, it is not there.

1 more thing, I couldnt' find the Before and After pics of the firmware updates.

Parts Info screen.jpg

NAV no map.jpg

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Cool Re: 2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work

Some dealers do NOT know what you are talking about,
    I had to hand my dealer the TSB, Then he knew what it was.
    And ordered his DVD's, and called me when it came in.
    TSB:# 05-08-126-001B
    OC80 is the Navigation software requiring updating,
    and 0E60 audio software requires updating.
    According to the TSB.
    Nav screen locks up , is one of the symptoms of old software (Firmware)
    With Navigation Radio RPO YQ4
    Happy Motoring !

Thanks again. I found the TSB and printed it out. Will be taking it to dealer to show them. I hope they don't get offended. I just want my navigation to work. thanks again.

Also MJCADDY, I would really like to try the discs out, but I looked up on Google maps and you are about 3 hours north of me. Maybe some day when wife and I feel like taking a road trip we can meet up.. Thanks for the offer.

Hopefully I can get this taken care of this week.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Just so you know that screen comes up when you press the "route" button. You need to press the button that looks like a globe with the latitude and longitude lines to get the map up. Again, the route button is not supposed to bring the map up. If you already knew this then sorry, ignore that.

----------

Oh crap there's supposed to be a pic of the US in the middle of that screen showing the different regions. Never mind.

Here's the thread. It even includes the entire upgrade procedure. I also recall EWill3rd saying if the procedure isn't followed as written, the update doesn't complete properly and it is possible to foul-up the unit.

There's a link to Bill's write-up on the Nav Bios access procedure with pictures. All the before's & after's for my 2006 & my wife's 2007 are in there, too.

The Link

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by cstrail View Post
    I'm curious. What is that Traffic System field about? We don't have traffic on our nav systems do we?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

We do have the traffic system, at least the car claims we do.
    The issue is that the system used for traffic reporting the car has isn't used in the USA or Canada.

This is at least what I've read anyways.

Denso may have won the bid based on GM's RFP but they assigned a lot of novice designers a got an adequate system that didn't follow many newly forming conventions.

The fact is, GPS systems are old techology. Smart phones are more quickly and accurately identified by triangulation of cell towers and there's no reason to have much of that data local (POI, maps, phone numbers, road closures, traffic, etc.)

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    The fact is, GPS systems are old techology. Smart phones are more quickly and accurately identified by triangulation of cell towers and there's no reason to have much of that data local (POI, maps, phone numbers, road closures, traffic, etc.)
    That appears to be where we're going. Now that more and more cars are linking with smart phones you'll probably see your music, navigation, hands-free phone all coming through an interface with all the actual work being performed on your phone.

Pioneer a few years ago came out with the app radio which had a nice 7" display and only had an AM/FM tuner built into it. Your navigation came from your phone along with your digital music collection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.