2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by EChas3 Denso may have won the bid based on GM's RFP but they assigned a lot of ...
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: 2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Denso may have won the bid based on GM's RFP but they assigned a lot of novice designers a got an adequate system that didn't follow many newly forming conventions.

The fact is, GPS systems are old techology. Smart phones are more quickly and accurately identified by triangulation of cell towers and there's no reason to have much of that data local (POI, maps, phone numbers, road closures, traffic, etc.)
    GPS is a couple of orders of magnitude more accurate than position locating with cell towers, works equally well anywhere on earth, and gives a 3D position including altitude. Cell phone positioning works only where you have cell towers and does not give an altitude. You're lucky to get a cell phone position within a quarter of a mile. GPS positioning as used by surveyors is accurate to centimeters. That's why modern cell phones incorporate a GPS receiver to report their position.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    True, GPS is required by law to be in all cell phones because of E911 (now it's used for many other things too). The cell towers are used as a backup for when the phone can't locate itself with GPS (like while in a basement).

Using cell towers doesn't always work though. For instance when in a rural area, when only one tower is within range. In that case you can only get a distance from the tower. So the phone would be somewhere on a circle with a certain radius.

cstrail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Well, called the dealer about the Nav and Audio unit not being updated. The service manager said she was going to talk with someone who did the work and call back. when she called back she said we would need to bring it back in again, because the service tech said it is already updated. Told her that I know it isn't because I checked the nav and audio version, and compared it with the Service Bulletin that I had printed out. We will be taking it to them Thursday, with pics of the hidden screen that I took, and the service bulletin so they can make sure they are doing it right.

I don't like doing things like this because I don't want them to think of me as "that guy again...", but I also expect things to be done when they say it is.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Quote Originally Posted by cstrail View Post
    Well, called the dealer about the Nav and Audio unit not being updated. The service manager said she was going to talk with someone who did the work and call back. when she called back she said we would need to bring it back in again, because the service tech said it is already updated. Told her that I know it isn't because I checked the nav and audio version, and compared it with the Service Bulletin that I had printed out. We will be taking it to them Thursday, with pics of the hidden screen that I took, and the service bulletin so they can make sure they are doing it right.

I don't like doing things like this because I don't want them to think of me as "that guy again...", but I also expect things to be done when they say it is.
    I see your point of not want them to think to think of you as "that guy" but, you paid the money and they didn't fix it right, it's your right and you have all the right to get your vehicle in a perfect working order after leaving the dealer not wasting more gas/time to go back there to fix something should've been fixed the first time.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Who cares what they think? If they knew what they were doing you wouldn't be one of those guys. I've taken in TSBs from this site more than once and told them to do exactly what it says. They are well aware of how picky I am, but they get paid to make customers happy and fix things the correct way.
    wake likes this.

cstrail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Navigation is all updated now. Thanks for all your help. Dealer even felt bad about having us bring the car back several times so they gave us a $25 gas card. Does anyone have a list of new voice commands?

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Cool Re: 2005 STS Navigation - new disc won't work

That's a very lengthy explanation.
    On the top right of this page , is a google
    custom search bar, type in :
    "STS voice commands", and read the
    comments there, one by one.
    Try: Windows Up, or Windows Down.
    it will say, are you sure you want to put
    the windows UP (Down), respond with
    YES or NO. YES......
    or: "Radio Select XM 19"......
    Happy Motoring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.