Low/High/Fog Lamps On Simultaneously.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Low/High/Fog Lamps On Simultaneously. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I understand this is not supposed to occur and I believe it violates FMVSS/CMVSS. Does anyone's car do this?...
    ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Low/High/Fog Lamps On Simultaneously.

I understand this is not supposed to occur and I believe it violates FMVSS/CMVSS. Does anyone's car do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Re: Low/High/Fog Lamps On Simultaneously.

Low is on, it's either highs or fogs. Not both. I don't have that problem.

Yup, that is the way it is supposed to work. I'm not sure why I can turn all mine on together.

PontiacV8 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    I understand this is not supposed to occur and I believe it violates FMVSS/CMVSS. Does anyone's car do this?
    ...(european) export does... ...it depends to the country...different laws...

(...same with my old 97 Seville STS (EXP) ...high beam and fogs was possible...on "domestic" cars it wasn't...)

Yup, that is the way it is supposed to work. I'm not sure why I can turn all mine on together.
    Darcy...I think, it has something to do with your rear fog mod....you changed something in your cars programming/setup by "activating" the rear fog function via Tech II...cause this is an export-only option...

(side note: ...in the past I once changed the german export setup to the canadian setup on my 97 Seville STS by playing with the "deeper" DIC programming...et voilā...no rear fog function anymore...and so the front fogs...they also didn't work with high beam anymore ...)

EDIT:
    ups...sorry for doublepost

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Yeah my money is on the export fog option you enabled.
    Mine behaves like yours (all on together) only because I added a jumper in the relay center to activate the fog relay with the parking light relay. This also turns on the fogs during remote start.

I would however rather have the computer keep them on during high beams instead.

As you selected here, it doesn't say rear fogs, its non-us/can fogs. So I would assume that the 4 light limit is only present in USA/CAN.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    Yeah my money is on the export fog option you enabled.
    Mine behaves like yours (all on together) only because I added a jumper in the relay center to activate the fog relay with the parking light relay. This also turns on the fogs during remote start.

I would however rather have the computer keep them on during high beams instead.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Picture of the jumper?!

Yup, I agree. I'm sure it's because of the option configuration change. I didn't realize this was intentional in export vehicles, but it all makes sense now. Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Picture of the jumper?!

Alden's Daddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 V8 1SG
    Luda- which pins and what gauge wire did you use?

They are both to Pin 86 on the relay.
    This should be the trigger to enable the relay, and the fogs will still get their power via the Fog relay.
    Your relays could be installed with the 2753 facing the other direction, for this to work I believe they need to be installed the way mine are pictured.
    I used what looks like about a 18 or 20 gauge solid wire (not stranded) - there is very little current that flows here, if I remember correctly all this is doing is 'grounding' the relay which is what is used to turn the relay on and off.
    I've gone 20,000 miles with the car in this configuration with about 15,000 of those miles being night time driving while I worked overnights.
    I just did a single loop around pin 86 on each of them taking care that they don't contact anything else.

I had done a similar setup on my 02 Deville, but in that case I linked 3 relays together with some diodes to keep lowbeams on with Highs and Fogs on with Highs; in that case I used pin 86 from those three relays with diodes in place to prevent the highs and lows from turning on when I only turned on the fogs.

Note: Any time your parking lights (not DRL) are on the fogs will be on.
    You will _not_ see the fogs on indicator lit up on the dashboard unless you manually turn them on.
    You can still toggle the fogs on and off when your low beam headlights are off and your parking lights will go on and off accordingly.
    Your Highbeams will be able to turn on and off without affecting the fogs being on or off.

*With this override you will not be able to turn off your fog lamps when your headlights are on.*

It is nice that I basically have full control. The only thing I've noticed is that I can't turn on my rear fog lights without turning on the front fogs first during daylight hours. At night they will operate independently.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I'd suggest using discretion when using your lights and approaching other cars at night. While in Norfolk this Summer, we got visually blasted and partially disoriented by an overtaking AWD pickup on our way back to the hotel after a midnight cruise.

I like to see where I'm going as much as the next guy, but I wasn't in the fast lane and this bozo with a dozen glaring lights, pulled up right behind me, causing odd reflections and a bunch of unexpected shadows. Thankfully, he soon passed. Do as you will but consider other drivers, too.

Agreed. I try to be very considerate and respectful of other drivers. In fact, I generally don't use my IntelliBeam in the city because I don't feel it responds quickly enough. The only time I can anticipate ever using low, high and fog lights together is in the country on back roads or rural highways where there is little or no traffic. I find some of the headlights people are self-installing very irritating. Many of these are poorly aimed, produce far too much glare, or a little of both. Some oncoming traffic is very hard on the eyes.

The only thing I've noticed is that I can't turn on my rear fog lights without turning on the front fogs first during daylight hours. At night they will operate independently.
    ...maybe a stupid question and comment...but were your head- and taillamps "on" during daylight hours, when you tried to turn on the rear fogs first (before front fogs) during daytime?
    ...I ask, because the rear fog lamps only should work with at least the parking lamps/lighting on...they are not allowed to work alone, without any other lighting on...(and the amber drl doesn't count, n/a on export )

My rear fogs will only work independently, when:

Lighting/"driving lights" (head- and tail) are on (e.g. manually switched on at daytime (switch position "headlamps") or on with AUTO-mode (switch position "AUTO") automatic on in the later hours/in the night)

When the lights are off (e.g. during daylight) the rear fogs won't work...they don't come on when I try to/using the switch(position)...I first have to turn on the front fogs (which also activates the little parking lamps, taillamps, license plate lamps and the amber and red sidemarker)...
    ...same with the parking lamp mode (switch position "parking lamp")...I have to turn on the front fogs first, before I can switch on the rear fogs...

(btw...little offtopic side note...IntelliBeam also wasn't available on euro and most other exports)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.