Low/High/Fog Lamps On Simultaneously. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Low/High/Fog Lamps On Simultaneously. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yes, if I turn on the front fog lamps during the day, the marker/park/license plate lamps also illuminate. Without other ...
    ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Low/High/Fog Lamps On Simultaneously.

Yes, if I turn on the front fog lamps during the day, the marker/park/license plate lamps also illuminate. Without other lamps illuminated, the rear fogs don't work.

I've found there are a few differences with the export vehicles. It appears from what I can tell so far, the export vehicles also did not have lane departure warning. I can only assume that this is because the mounting location in the rear fascia for the sensors is the same location occupied by the TPMS rear wheel sensors on export cars.

Do you have HomeLink? If so, is it part of your sun visor? The HomeLink module for North American STS's is located in where one of the theft deterrent sensors is placed in export cars.

PontiacV8 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Do you have HomeLink? If so, is it part of your sun visor? The HomeLink module for North American STS's is located in where one of the theft deterrent sensors is placed in export cars.
    ...ok...a little offtopic...

...no, HomeLink wasn't available...has to do with the frequency used on the domestic market/cars/garage doors/-openers...
    ...sure, we also have garage door openers here in europe , but as I said...we have to use an other frequency...and for such a small market GM didn't adapt or made an "export" HomeLink for the STS...
    ...IIRC, the exports theft deterrent sensor in the HomeLink module area is an inclination sensor...

...the export anti theft system is different from yours, I know, other/more parts, more sensors...we also got a different steering column...I think it has to do with the exports electronic steering wheel lock, which is somehow connected to/with the UA2 theft deterrent system...

...but I'm not sure about the TPMS sensors...sure, another frequency...I think I have to look under my car to investigate, if there are more sensors in the bumper area... ...but the part-listing doesn't show anything...
    ...and I didn't find out, if the (few) 2008-up exports got the lane departure warning...but I don't think so...

...we also don't have the XM/satellite option, no OnStar...
    ...and you won't find any kind of antenna on the cars roof...no shark fin or the previous version...it's "clean"...
    (and the export "Infotainment" system with TV-function is outdated... )

HomeLink is actually available in a very large number of different makes and models of vehicle. It is produced and supplied to automakers by another company which is why I thought perhaps there was a version available based on frequencies in your area. The website suggests there is some availability in Europe, but I don't know how many automakers picked it up.

http://www.homelink.com/

The theft deterrent system uses both an inclination sensor and a glass break sensor. I believe there is an opening in the panel of the roof console for the glass break portion. Looking over the schematic diagrams, that sensor appears to act in both capacities. I'm not entirely sure how the steering wheel locks in. I suspect the alarm portion can work independently of the wheel lock as the wheel lock is a module that functions on the data bus. There didn't appear to be any direct connection into the steering wheel lock module by the alarm sensor or siren. Of course this can be deceiving since many actions are controlled between modules over the data network.

The European STS actually has a different RPO code for the TPMS system. After looking over the schematics, there is an individual receiver near each wheel for the TPMS sensor. In the North American STS, the Remote Control Door Lock Module acts as the TPMS sensor. I don't recall off hand which module handles these signals for the export model. When I purchased my rear fascia to complete the rear fog lamp upgrade, the mounting locations were I installed the side blind zone alert sensors had labelling from GM indicating they were for TMPS modules. This made sense based on the schematics. When you look for the sensors, you need to check under "Frames, Springs, Shocks, Bumpers"

Must run... more soon...

The European STS actually has a different RPO code for the TPMS system. After looking over the schematics, there is an individual receiver near each wheel for the TPMS sensor. ...
    ...the mounting locations were I installed the side blind zone alert sensors had labelling from GM indicating they were for TMPS modules...
    ...When you look for the sensors, you need to check under "Frames, Springs, Shocks, Bumpers"...
    ...this must be a change for 2008-up models...
    2005 - 2007 seems complete different...and also nothing in the schematic...no individual tpms receiver or part-numbers mentioned...

2005 -2007
    http://www.genmotorinfo.com/images/0...316D07-021.png

and
    http://www.genmotorinfo.com/images/0...156D02-046.png

example 2005 part-#
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/componen...2m226dw29.html
    and
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/componen...7m826dw29.html

vs.

http://www.genmotorinfo.com/images/0...066D07-035.png

2008 part-#
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/componen...2myb6dw29.html

...so I think, on the 2005 - 2007 exports the RCDL Module also acts as a TPMS sensor....like the domestics...

Must run... more soon...
    ...thanks, fine...

Edit:
    hmm...the autoguide forum app doesn't show the six links correctly....
    Edit 2:
    ...ok...now they do...

Sorry, as I was saying before I was interrupted... GM shows the export TPMS RPO code as UH3. This may well be a 2008+ change. I'm not overly familiar with the European legislation but I'm guessing that it may have had a hand in why the system is different. Especially if they were using the same method as pre-2008. Either that or they had to move to an entirely different frequency range due to problems and this may have been the only way to achieve the result they require. I know the part numbers for the sensors are different. In any event, the information I was looking at is item #003 on the following list:

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...PartSortBy=Key

RECEIVER,TIRE PRESS IND D29(UH3)

I realize in this case I selected the 'DX' car, but it appears to be the same as the link you posted, except it's item "018" there.

...ah, yes...they changed over from UJ9 (orange sensors in the wheels) to UH3 (blue ones) from 2008 up...
    ...formerly, the UH3 was for Japan/Korea exports...

(...what- or whoever GM forced to make this changes... )

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

I find some of the headlights people are self-installing very irritating. Many of these are poorly aimed, produce far too much glare, or a little of both. Some oncoming traffic is very hard on the eyes.
    Too many idiots running around with bright blue headlights in their non-HID equipped vehicles. When I flash these folks and they flash back I see no difference in their light output. It has gotten to the point that I become a jerk at times right back at them. Not the most mature thing to do but hopefully if enough people gave them a taste of their own medicine they'd pull that crap out of their cars.

At the very least, I wish the police would start pulling people over for non-DOT certified lighting again.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

I've never seen people pulled over for HIDs, I have heard stories though.
    When it comes to headlights I believe the law (at least in MN) is worded to a point where the light has to have a clear lamp to be legal.
    Since 12000k HIDs are still made with a clear lamp they are 'legal', the state laws are behind the times when it comes to PnP HID kits.
    While DOT may say they are unauthorized to put an HID burner into a housing that wasn't designed for it (aka non-OEM) many or all of the state laws haven't gotten around to making a law about it yet.

Well I will admit that I did get pulled over for 'unauthorized display of red lights' aka I had underbody red neon lighting on my white 99 Grand Am GT Coupe back in the day.
    But that is the only lighting related thing I've been pulled over for.
    I think the cops thoughts are mostly:
    Is the light burned out? No, don't care. Yes, sometimes care.
    Is the light Red facing forwards? No, don't care. Yes, pull over.
    Is the light flashing when its not a turn signal? No, don't care. Yes, pull over.
    Is the light coming from non-standard locations? Yes, sometimes care.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Ignorance tells some that if a 4000k HID is good, an 8000k HID is better and a 12000k must be best!

I've heard blue will get you a ticket in Florida.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    I've never seen people pulled over for HIDs, I have heard stories though.
    When it comes to headlights I believe the law (at least in MN) is worded to a point where the light has to have a clear lamp to be legal.
    Since 12000k HIDs are still made with a clear lamp they are 'legal', the state laws are behind the times when it comes to PnP HID kits.
    While DOT may say they are unauthorized to put an HID burner into a housing that wasn't designed for it (aka non-OEM) many or all of the state laws haven't gotten around to making a law about it yet.
    Before moving to the D.C. area I lived outside of L.A. for 10 years. Saw the start of the ricer-car fad (where I think the blue/purple headlights started), and saw a lot of enforcement going after them for being stupid after the F&F movies started coming out. Law enforcement could be pretty nasty, going after illegal exhausts, unsafe suspension drops, headlights, tint, looking at serial numbers for stolen parts, etc.

I used to see a lot of these lights for sale on ebay labeled as, 'off road use only'. I think that was how they got away with selling them. I'm not sure about 12000K headlights being legal though, you lose a lot of visible light spectrum that you need to see the roadway. All my factory HIDs have been 4300K, if higher frequencies weren't detrimental to your night vision and illegal why wouldn't the auto manufacturers offer them as options?

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Honestly, I think halogens are brighter than an 8000k hid.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.