Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tires (Yes - AGAIN)

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
Right now I have continental extreme contact 235/50/17 on all four, and I like them just fine. AA traction and A temp is good for Florida roads. I was surprised by the asymmetrical sizes recommended as OEM, and Michelin says the warranty on rear tires in this configuration is reduced to 50%.

So my question is this: Should I go symmetrical or not? If so, has anyone experienced the 'cupping' on the rear tires, associated especially with FWD cars, and is rotating left to right important here?

#5 ·
You have obviously never seen a tire come apart from changing directions.

----------

Always rotate in a cross pattern if you are able (same size and not directional) for maximum tire life.
Drive a few thousand miles on that non directional tire and it just became directional. I've worked in the industry and have seen tires that have thrown the belt because of cross rotating..
Cross rotating is old school way of thinking and not recommended any more.

#10 ·
Keeping them going in the same direction used to be recommended, as they developed an internal, for lack of a better term, wear pattern, which, if disturbed by changing rotation direction, could cause delamination of tread and/or the internal plies to break.

I like the staggered setup, and as a bonus, it eliminates rotation. I could do side-to-side, but meh.

Positrac rear and keeping the front end aligned has all of them wearing mighty evenly.

#11 ·
I'd have to tip my cap to McKellyB on my favorite opinion contrasting mine. With him having Positraction(TM) & preferring the staggered setup, I concede his best option is to ensure sound alignment and enjoy his handling advantage while the tires last. When you pay to play, Grin!

Fortunately, these cars seem to hold an alignment very well in my experience. They have some tendenacy to wear the outside shoulders of the front tires, but the front end geometry does have a very nice and predictable turn-in. I love my STS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.