Popping noise in front brakes, 05 STS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Popping noise in front brakes, 05 STS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anyone experienced a sharp popping noise in their front brakes on an 05 STS? I replaced rotors and pads a ...
    DHspring is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Popping noise in front brakes, 05 STS?

Anyone experienced a sharp popping noise in their front brakes on an 05 STS? I replaced rotors and pads a couple months ago and it was smooth as silk, now I hear a sharp pop when I apply the brakes. It's usually happens when it's hot, hit the brakes it pops, and repeats several times. Have not pulled the wheel yet to inspect, doesn't seem to be a dangerous problems because it brakes fine, but very annoying and bothersome, just wondered if anyone else has had this, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Re: Popping noise in front brakes, 05 STS?

might be the noise that is related to need the caliper pins re-lubed
    Also when you did the brakes did you make sure that you didn't swap the pins around accidentally (as the top and bottom pins aren't the same)?
    Did you replace any of the rubber boots on the pins or the pad clips?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If the brakes check out, the lower control arms wear and can make some odd noises. I think the above makes more sense but on my wife's 2007 it took several visits before they found the real issue.

I may have switched the pins, I will certainly check that this weekend, I had no idea they would be different pins, that is totally weird, and a bad design move if you ask me, even the best mechanics would tend to get them mixed up at times I would think! I did not replace any rubber boots. I'm pretty sure it's a brake issue since it only happens when I apply the brakes and it's definitely the passenger side of the car. Thanks gents for the suggestions!!

Well problem solved, I removed the caliper this weekend and found the problem. It was not the locking bolts reversed, the bolts are identical. It was the caliper mounting bracket. This car came from up North in Ohio where they use salt on the roads in the winter for deicing. I removed the mounting braket and found one of the floating pins that holds the caliper was frozen solid with rust and corrosion to the point I could not free it with a lot of hammering nor compressing in a bench top vise. The rubber boot on that pin had rotted away, and thus the reason that water and debris got down around the pin . It's history and I'm quite sure since the pin isn't free to float as the caliper is compressed for braking then releases after unbraking this was causing a binding and popping noise. Then wouldn't you know there was not one mounting bracket in the entire city of Houston either from the caddy dealers (dealer price $105) or Autozone (their price $39). It's on backorder and I will have it fixed in no time, oddly enough I don't hear the popping since I reassembled the brake, but it's getting replaced anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.