Will a 2009 STS Key Fob Work on 2006 STS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1BadCadSTS
  • 1 Post By 1BadCadSTS
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Will a 2009 STS Key Fob Work on 2006 STS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I remember seeing a thread about how to program a key fob, I was wondering if a 2009 Key ...
    cadillacst is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac sts

Will a 2009 STS Key Fob Work on 2006 STS?

Hi,

I remember seeing a thread about how to program a key fob, I was wondering if a 2009 Key Fob would work on a 2006 STS. I have heard that the newer 2009 Fob has a different frequency.

I like the look and design of the newer 2008-2011 key fob, hence the interest in upgrading.

If someone can shed some light on this topic from personal experience, it would be great.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadzilla8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS Northstar V8
    I wonder the same thing I like the newer key fob much more. Definitely interested if anyone has an answer.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Re: Will a 2009 STS Key Fob Work on 2006 STS?

Been covered MANY MANY times...

Yes but you need to have an 05-07 key cut and shaved and modded to fit INSIDE the 08+ housing. The 08+ uses a skinner blade and will not work in the 05-07 tumbler...
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

cadillacst is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac sts

What if I don't need the key? Does the key need to be in the Fob to work? Because I don't use my key in the first place, and if I ever need to I can just use the old 05-07 Key fob. What I am looking to do is getting a 2009 key fob and just using it to unlock, lock, remote start, and start the car while I am in it. All the things I have listed don't require the key, they just require the key fob.

Key is not needed but if your ever in a bad signal area with massive interference youll pray you have that key to get in...

Whole cool factor of the 08+ is the hide away key, without getting that to work why bother? The fob itself is actually larger than the 05-07.

Make sure you get the correct FOB only 08+ CTS with proximity fob and 08+ STS fob will work, not SRX, Escalade, DTS, ATS, XTS, XLR or CTS without proximity.
    Charles Warren likes this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Mine new fob works great but has been using batteries pretty fast. There's another thread open on that aspect.

Modifying a copy key to mate with a new-style fob isn't hard with a grinder & drill if you're handy. You may have to convince a hardware store (or the like) that the copy of the hard-key doesn't require a security key resistor. I think my copy cost $2.50 and a tiny screw & nut only cost some change at the same hardware store.

I posted about it a few years ago; probably '09 or '10.

Cadzilla8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS Northstar V8
    Where did you guys get the new 2008+ fob/keys there is a site online that sells the key and fob for about 135$ not sure if it's authentic I shot rippy a Pm will probably hear from him tomorrow

Rippy or eBay.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Tomm (BestRadarDetectors.net & Lockpick guru) came across a quantity purchase and was selling them cheap to forum members. The last time I looked on eBay, they were spendy.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacst View Post
    Hi,

I remember seeing a thread about how to program a key fob, I was wondering if a 2009 Key Fob would work on a 2006 STS. I have heard that the newer 2009 Fob has a different frequency.

I like the look and design of the newer 2008-2011 key fob, hence the interest in upgrading.

If someone can shed some light on this topic from personal experience, it would be great.

Thanks
    Hello cadillacst,

If you provide me with your VIN for your vehicle, I am more than happy to research this on your behalf!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.