STS Nav Better than Critics Credit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Nav Better than Critics Credit in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My wife and I just returned from a week in Virginia Beach; this year her 2007 STS providing the transportation. ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

STS Nav Better than Critics Credit

My wife and I just returned from a week in Virginia Beach; this year her 2007 STS providing the transportation. There are a lot of ways her STS helped make this another great driving vacation and but there was one point in our return trip that the often-criticized STS Navigation System didn't just perform flawlessly like it had for the whole trip, it actually saved a lot of time for us during a full day of tough driving and helped out one of our cousins in a CTS-V!

We left the beach on Sunday, which any experienced driver will tell you is a flirtation with bridge/tunnel backups & the dreaded Summer Northbound I-95. Yep! By the time we reached DC, we were behind schedule but our I-Pass is now a member of EZ-Pass and I-495 was a wide-open cruise at high speeds past miles of stop & go - B2B traffic; a nice twist on open road tolling. I-270 & I-70 through Maryland weren't bad. Then I tagged my partner to drive the next leg (we had hoped to overnight in Ohio.)

My wife is more than competent behind the wheel, so she was looking forward to driving 'The Nation's First Superhighway - The Pennsylvania Turnpike'. She took over in Maryland on I-70 where we just missed a car-fire delay and re-acquainted herself with the 6-speed manual mode as I-70 jogged North into PA. However, I completely forgot that the link that joins into I-76 (Pa Turnpike) does so through an old-fashioned T-intersection with traffic signals at US-30. This is where the Navigation system gave advice that saved us a long wait.

When I-70 ends into this intersection, it forms three lanes: the left for US-30 West & the right for US-30 East and 'To I-76'. The fading paint on the pavement also shows the center lane as an alternative for I-76 but it is VERY EASY to miss. Traffic (including many 18-wheelers and presumably experienced drivers) was stopped (B2B). At first we were confused when the Navigation (Nikki?) kept saying 'Bear Left - I-70 Ends - Bear Left - Turn right onto US-30.' But that was actually excellent advice!

Without a single doubt, my better half resisted the temptation to join the line of sheeple in the right lane and rolled by over a mile of stopped traffic; finally ending up in a middle lane! Sure enough, there were two lanes turning right as a traffic light slowly cycled. A few cars behind us, I noticed the familiar Caddy Crest on a CTS-V grille and little cousin had little trouble following our growing procession onto I-76. Not many have EZ-Pass yet but that just makes an enjoyable 3-hour performance run that much more fun.

We overnighted in Cranberry, just past Pittsburgh. We may not have made it to Ohio that first day, but it sure wasn't as bad as it was looking approaching DC!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: STS Nav Better than Critics Credit

Good story. I'm one of the critics. Businesses and residents that have been open for years are not recognized by the nav. I get the "house number does not exist on this street" message. Although when it does recognize the address, it works very well.

On another note, took the v in to the dealer today for service tomorrow morning. Oil change, right headlight aimed too high (they just installed the new headlight otherwise id reaim myself) and nav firmware update. When I first told them on the phone I need a firmware update (to correct the Bluetooth occasionally failing to connect and the nav instructions not showing up on the HUD) they said you have to buy a new nav disc. I explained on the phone and again in person that these were two completely different things. There's nothing more confidence inspiring than when you know that you're more knowledgable than the dealer.

Hopefully nav directions will show up on the HUD
    After this.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Cranberry is 20 minutes from me ahhaha

Cranberry nj?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio
    Cranberry nj?
    No Cranberry pa. It's a smaller area on the outskirts of Pittsburgh pa were route 19 and the pa turnpike intersect.

Gotcha

PA's Visitor's Info Center suggested a Cranberry Super 8 (discount coupon) when we asked about getting past Monday morning traffic around Pittsburgh. I don't have any idea of our final Toll bill but electronic tolling is a big improvement in ease of driving.

Guy - I do agree there are shortcomings with the STS Nav. Even the latest disk supposedly has 2009 map files. I find the POI's to be good but that's the kind of thing that is going to be very individual. Unfortunately, DVD-based systems are no longer state-of-the-art. In fact, GPS is over-the-hill as well. I expect future systems to based entirely on the infrastructure that supports smart phones, etc.

I hope the firmware update helps your HUD display but I fear the source of the issue is deeper. Mine worked before the upgrade. I believe the Nav is standard on the V, right? Have you asked the dealer to validate that it hasn't been inadvertanly replaced with the incorrect part number head unit?

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Been to PA many times and I've driven that turnpike on a few occasions while heading into Ohio. I've never had my STS down there (always a rental or borrowed vehicle) but I'm thinking of driving down that way for vacation this year. Good to hear that the navigation system will be up to the task if I decide to drive.

I'm not overly critical of the nav system, just the VR functions. I think we all pretty much agree on that however.

Nav is standard in the v. The only option is a sunroof delete. And we never get acc or cooled seats.

I really hope it's not the wrong head unit. Hopefully in the 5 years and 5xxxx miles its been through the head unit has never needed replacing.

Hopefully the firmware update helps my car as it did this guy
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-show-hud.html

It's kind of promising that he had an 09 as well.

Wasn't blinds zone lane departure and HUD options on the 08-09 models?

Standard on the v and I always thought the non v sts after 2007 had those standard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio
    Standard on the v and I always thought the non v sts after 2007 had those standard as well.
    Nope never were standard on the sts.

Wow never knew that.

Guy, did you ever validate with another '09 V owner that the Nav is integrated with the HUD on that option combination? I can't think of any reason the ACC module would be needed for the adaptive display. Sport Mode displays the tach graph, correct?

when daddler shut off his ACC option to confirm i could operate the HUD for my retro install without the need for ACC he made no mention of not being able to use anything that normally would show on the HUD.

Guy if your car is under warranty why is the dealer giving you the run around show them the manual it says its supposed to if it cant they need to figure out why.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.