STS Nav Better than Critics Credit - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Nav Better than Critics Credit in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well I couldn't wait. I'm sitting in my car now. It's all disconnected. About to reconnect. Can't help but notice ...
    Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: STS Nav Better than Critics Credit

Well I couldn't wait. I'm sitting in my car now. It's all disconnected. About to reconnect. Can't help but notice what appears to be another place in the back of the nav where a 5th thing can be plugged in. On the top just about center is a blue thing where you'd think you could plug something in. And what's the deal with that one wire that goes to the top right that's kind of glued/taped on before it connects in to the nav?

----------

No go. Still nothing on the HUD with nav stuff.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

The blue connector is not used in this application as the pink is your GPS antenna here. The wire that looks to be taped in place will be a black coax with a 90 degree connector for your AM/FM radio.

Thanks. Well my local dealer has a sts with HUD for sale so what the hell. 10 minutes for my peace of mind with the disc. I'm pretty convinced its a firmware update and my dealer just doesn't know it.

Can't stand that dealer. They freakin suck. Nothing new with them. Went in told them the stock number of the STS with HUD. Asked if the nav disc was in, answer was yes. They had to drive off the lot. She drove for a couple of minutes and then pulled into a parking lot. We switched. I hit the route button. Please insert nav disc. No disc to be found in the car. We head back she goes to get it. Comes back out and says they don't have it. Her manager said I need to go to service. She explained to him that I already did. He said to her that I should go to another dealer.

Straight bs. They have the disc. If not they have a whole other world of problems there. The car was in horrible shape. There was tree sap stuff tearing the paint up. What a pos. not well taken care of.

The downfall of cadillac is going to be their service. Their cars are competing but their service is garbage. I'm thinking of getting the new nav disc anyway. Freakin pissed.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

I would have tried your disc in that STS to see what it did.

But yes I agree that the dealer you are dealing with isn't doing Cadillac any favors with its reputation.

Wow why the hell didn't I think of that. I'm gonna do that on Monday. Thanks.

atlrus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 escalade, 07 STS4 V8

The Nav is pure garbage, end of discussion.

Yesterday we had to go to a county park. The actual directions were - 1.5 miles down the road then park on the left. The stupid navi made us go back and forth between the main street and the next street parallel to it 4 times! I.e. instead of "go down 1.5 miles then turn left" the instructions were: "turn right then turn left; turn left then turn right", this 4 times, lol. The only reason we did it was to see if the navi will get a clue, but it never did, made us go back and forth between the two streets until I gave up and turned it off.

That sucks. For me the only way to get it to work right is to actually pinpoint a location on the map. If I try punching in an address it just won't recognize it.

Speaking of this, I just had my nav directions not showing up on HUD fixed at Rippy Cadillac. There's a TSB out for 2009s and it calls for a special disc. Chris ordered it and problem solved. Details are over in the STS-V forum.

----------

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nav-hud-7.html

There's the link.

----------

And here is a link to a video of it in action. Kinda like how ludacrisvp did. Someone requested I make my own. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AhV38h6jj8g

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Guy, I noted that at about 1:32-1:55 or so of the video your speed turns from green to amber to red as you began to speed.
    Mine doesn't do that. I wonder if that is part of the overspeed option that you could get with the Nav.

Was that there before you had the NAV updated?

This is part of the Speed Alert/Speed Advisory system. I upgraded my car to include this (required a 2009+ navigation radio, HUD and instrument cluster). The system retrieves speed information from the navigation disc. Depending on configuration, the HUD (and instrument cluster) will display speed limit data. The system can be configured to provide no warning, warning at speed limit, warning at speed limit +5 or warning at speed limit +10. The HUD display will change from green to amber (and some will then change from amber to red as a second interval). This was a base option in the STS with navigation and HUD for 2009+.

Ddadler said it all. And yes I had this feature before. Let me just add something. Like he said it only works on roads where the speed is reported. It's kind of the same way only certain addresses are recognized on the nav. It's off the map disc. And if I recall, I believe one of the updates to the 2013 nav disc was updated speed limits.

If you put it to no warning, it stays green.

If you put it to "at limit" it turns red when you go over the limit.

If you put it at +5, and the limit is say 55, it will turn amber from 56-60. Then After 60 it turns red.

You get the picture for +10. Also in the DIC, once you exceed the limit it will say "SPEED LIMIT XX MPH" for a few secs unless I'm in competitive driving mode. In cdm, nothing can override "COMPETITIVE DRIVNG MODE" in the DIC. For example, if I turn off automatic headlights, "AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS OFF" won't appear if I'm in cdm.

Anyway, the speed advisory that changes colors of the speed in the HUD is an excellent feature in my opinion.

----------

Mine is set at +5

----------

And i definitely double tapped a lot of things ddadler said. Sorry buddy. Now I did not know it was a 2009+ thing.

I personally like this option. Unfortunately there is limited speed information available where I'm located, despite living in a major city. It's interesting to see the 'V' Series version as it is a little different than the non-'V'. With mine, the speed has never changed to red, only yellow. In the lower right corner, there is what looks like a small speed limit road sign which is what the vehicle believes the posted speed at that location is. When in sport mode, the tachometer causes this to disappear.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

^ It change in mine, you probably need to change the setting on DIC, the tachometer comes when you switch to sport/manual (thanks to Ludacrisvp for the tip).

Yeah I should've demonstrated the "speed limit sign" showing up when you're in auto mode. I was in manual mode the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcaddy View Post
    ^ It change in mine, you probably need to change the setting on DIC, the tachometer comes when you switch to sport/manual (thanks to Ludacrisvp for the tip).
    I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.