STS Nav Better than Critics Credit - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Nav Better than Critics Credit in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; There is no POI data on the disks for Alaska although there is map data for all but the Dalton ...
    dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: STS Nav Better than Critics Credit

There is no POI data on the disks for Alaska although there is map data for all but the Dalton highway. You can't enter an Alaskan address because they are not there. What you have to do is locate your destination on another map source such as DeLorme's Street Atlas, scroll the STS NAV map and manually set the point. It says the nearest police and hospital are across the border in Canada. When I first got my STS there wasn't even map data for Alaska on the disk so you couldn't even follow along on the map. The NAV screen was just blank. I wrote letters and complained until the map data was included on an update disk but so far no POI info. All this is no surprise after having been treated like a second class citizen for 73 years. I've been asked to show a passport after flying commercially from Fairbanks to Seattle. I've been told that Alaska money is no good in the lower 48. I've been told that Alaska is not part of the continental US even though Alaska and the lower 48 are both in North America. I did rent an SRX and it had Alaska POI data on the NAV map so it must just be an STS thing. I'd be happier about the STS NAV if I could use it to find a place anywhere in the state.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Koz, I recall reading a post long ago from a guy who claimed he had some success asssembling a Nav Disk using files from some other manufacturers' map DVD's. Have you ever investigated that idea?

I do not believe it would be a software license violation to experiment as long as the souce disks were legitimate purchased copies being combined/copied to a single volume. PM me if you'd like to correspond on the topic less publically.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    All this is no surprise after having been treated like a second class citizen for 73 years. I've been asked to show a passport after flying commercially from Fairbanks to Seattle. I've been told that Alaska money is no good in the lower 48. I've been told that Alaska is not part of the continental US even though Alaska and the lower 48 are both in North America.
    Gee Koz I thpught all that changed when Sarah became famous
    Palen.jpg

KR - So you think she was treated better than second class by the lower 48?

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Depends on your political party I guess. She's not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Koz, I recall reading a post long ago from a guy who claimed he had some success asssembling a Nav Disk using files from some other manufacturers' map DVD's. Have you ever investigated that idea?

I do not believe it would be a software license violation to experiment as long as the souce disks were legitimate purchased copies being combined/copied to a single volume. PM me if you'd like to correspond on the topic less publically.
    It sounds like an interesting proposition; more like a career than a project.

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    Depends on your political party I guess. She's not my cup of tea.
    I don't have to agree with someone to treat them fairly. Opinions vary. Manners shouldn't.

She was ridiculed by network 'reporters' for statements made by Tina Fey on SNL and her kids were the made the objects of comics' crude jokes. Maybe that comes with the territory in today's political climate, but it does seem fairly one-sided to me.

It is possible to disagree without making personal attacks. Unfortunately, it is far easier to choose a side using ideology; discounting inconvenient findings while believing only those that support a political narrative. Life is usually more complicated and the facts surrounding actual events generally bear this out.

How one treats their opposition tells a lot. Look at issues from that angle and you may discover some new truths and reasons to respect their positions even while you disagree.

You can learn from anybody. Bush showed us how to swagger and Obama showed us how to diddy bop.

Unfortunately, most people don't even learn from their own mistakes, let alone anyone else's. They just keep doing the same things and getting the same bad results.

This is called 'bad luck'!

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Is that bad luck or stupidity?? If you keep making the same mistakes without learning.. I'd say that's a little dumb.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

well i like my nav unit and will go on the edge and say its still nice compaired to the newer cars except for the bluetooth non sreaming and usb but 8 inch screen back in 04 and most just now getting big units. i need to hook my lock pick up so i can have passenger type in addy while i drive but other than that my poi and some addresses dont exist but my phone works fine thru the screen gs4

Yes I've spoken to another v owner and his HUD did in fact show nav directions. The sport shift mode shows the rpms yes but that should still work in conjunction with nav directions. The satellite radio stations work for me in the HUD.

Unfortunately, the car is not under warranty anymore. If only. Either way I haven't brought the issue up to them until 2 days ago, and as of about 10 minutes ago they said I need to replace the whole nav because there is no update available. I'm very skeptical. Luckily, the other guy with the 09 with the same issue http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-show-hud.html left contact info for the guy at the dealer that helped him out. They're in Washington state so ill give them a couple of hours before I call. More to follow.

SO, according to my local dealer there is no firmware update available for my car. They said its internal to the nav and quoted me the $27xx to replace it. Typical. Soo in desperate times we think of other different possibilities. So I called the point of contact in cadillac of Bellvue (where the guy in the link above had his problem solved) and the guy didn't work there anymore. The current staff is clueless. Love how knowledge is passed on.

So then I thought nav disc. Maybe the dealer that gave me the car skimped out and gave me some nav disc laying around somewhere, instead of the one that goes to my car. Is a nav disc that goes on a car with HUD different from one that goes on a car without? Well I called GM nav disc.

Wasn't very confident in the girl's knowledge. She put me on hold 3 different times to do some research and didn't seem confident in what she was saying. She said the nav discs are the same.

My disc part number is 22820294. According to the girl that goes to a corvette. Interesting. And yes I know corvettes are available with HUD. She said the one I want is 22944166. That goes with my car and is the most updated one. She recommended I try one out at a local dealer first before dropping 2 bills on a new disc.

So next mission is to find an sts with HUD in my area and try their disc in my car. I think this is gonna be the solution. Ill be trying dealers in the next couple of days.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

As far as I know there isn't a difference in the Nav disc for HUD/ non-HUD.

The Nav disc we use is made for Corvette, Grand Prix, Saab 9_ , STS.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    As far as I know there isn't a difference in the Nav disc for HUD/ non-HUD.

The Nav disc we use is made for Corvette, Grand Prix, Saab 9_ , STS.
    My 2011 disc works on my 05 without HUD and fathers 07 with HUD and does display directions via his HUD.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.