Wipers blowing fuses
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ddalder
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Wipers blowing fuses in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well I had my first repair since the warranty expired. $300. My wipers kept blowing fuses so I took it ...
    Pjazz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS 1SG V8 RWD

Wipers blowing fuses

Well I had my first repair since the warranty expired. $300. My wipers kept blowing fuses so I took it in after reading another post of some one putting in a larger amperage fuse and and ended up frying some wires in the dash.

The tech ended up repairing a wiring harness under the dash. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Wipers blowing fuses

Well, as I'm sure you're now aware, it is NEVER a good idea to install larger fuses than what is specified by the OEM, unless the direction comes from them. On the positive side, your car didn't burn up in a ball of fire (which was a real possibility). One of the problems with forums is that some people offer very poor advice and some people do incredibly stupid things and then post about it which can lead others to believe it's okay. While there is a lot of great information and experience to draw from, you always need to understand why you're doing something and know the risks of following directions from someone you have no substantiated knowledge of.

Your post is kind of vague. Am I to understand that you took the car in, the tech repaired the wiring but didn't investigate and/or correct the original problem?
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Pjazz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS 1SG V8 RWD

Sorry for the confusion. I searched the site for a reason why my wipers were blowing fuses. I found a post where someone else put in a larger fuse in there car which caused some wiring to smoke. This lead me to believe my problem was in the wiring. The tech found a faulty wiring harness which was repaired and corrected my original problem.

I was asking if anyone else had this problem to see if Cadillac has a known problem of faulty wiring for window wipers.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Okay, I understand now. Personally, I haven't heard of this being a common problem but others may chime in. When the technician repaired your wiring, it was definitely in the dash and not under the hood? I'll have to check schematics, but as I recall, all the wiring on the occupant side of the firewall for the wiper/washer system should be 20-22AWG and very low current (primarily signalling). Was there any indication the wiring problems were caused by chafing? Perhaps affected by proximity to other wiring that was damaged?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Pjazz View Post
    Well I had my first repair since the warranty expired. $300. My wipers kept blowing fuses so I took it in after reading another post of some one putting in a larger amperage fuse and and ended up frying some wires in the dash.

The tech ended up repairing a wiring harness under the dash. Anyone else have this problem?
    Hello Pjazz,

I apologize that you were experiencing a concern with your STS and its wipers. I am glad that the tech was able to find and address the problem you were having. I see you are reaching out to the community to see if anyone else was experiencing this issue, but I wanted to extend my assistance in working with the dealership if you start to experience this concern again. Please feel free to private message Laura or I if this happens again. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Well, as I'm sure you're now aware, it is NEVER a good idea to install larger fuses than what is specified by the OEM, unless the direction comes from them. On the positive side, your car didn't burn up in a ball of fire (which was a real possibility). One of the problems with forums is that some people offer very poor advice and some people do incredibly stupid things and then post about it which can lead others to believe it's okay. While there is a lot of great information and experience to draw from, you always need to understand why you're doing something and know the risks of following directions from someone you have no substantiated knowledge of.
    Well stated dd.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.