New issues ... Steering wheel / Brakes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, New issues ... Steering wheel / Brakes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

New issues ... Steering wheel / Brakes

Issue #1: Heated Steering Wheel
    -------------
    About a week or so ago I decided to test out the theory that the Heated steering wheel doesn't operate if the car is warm (it was like a 90F+ day).
    First click on the button did nothing, so I did a long press and the heated wheel turned on and heated up.

So the other day on the way in to work it was a little chilly out ~55F or so and I was like I'll turn on the wheel to take the edge off and it doesn't work at all.
    Then at the end of the day I figure I'll take it to the dealer, get in the car and press the button and works fine (inside the car was rather hot, DIC showed EXT temp at 95F since it was sitting in the sun all day). On the way home yesterday I tried it again (and it was around 80F on the DIC) so the wheel was already hot and it worked, on the way in today it just flicked on for a 1/10th of a second and when out no matter what I tried. It hasn't worked since.

I can't imagine that it would or could be a fuse since it was working then stopped then worked again then stopped, then worked again and stopped.
    Its like it works if the wheel is hot already so it must have some broken wires that connect when they heat up.

So in the middle of the summer I'll be at the dealer trying to get a new heated wheel, hope they still make mine.

-------------

Issue #2: Brakes
    -------------
    Also on the way in today the DIC flashed "CHECK BRAKE FLUID" very briefly and then "RADAR CRUISE NOT READY", "SERVICE BRAKE ASSIST", "SERVICE STABILITY SYS"
    Why does this car seem to hate me so much?

I was a block or so from work when this happened at sub 30MPH speeds, fluid level seems fine to me.
    It isn't at MAX level but it certainly didn't seem to be low to me.

I guess it just means I should do that Brake job I planned to do a while back.
    I bought a set of black zinc coated slotted and drilled rotors and new pads for all 4 wheels from brakeperformance.com for ~$400 (free shipping).

So if the level is actually low and it is tripping some sensor regarding the level it won't really matter much since it will refill itself just by re-compressing the brakes' pistons.
    And I'll have to maybe 'top it off' then too depending on what kind of work I put into the brakes since they make that annoying creaking / crunching / cracking noise while using the brakes.
    There is the TSB about lubing the caliper pins that supposedly fixes this but we shall see, I remain skeptical about it fixing the issue.

I've got JE5 brakes in this car, any tips? pitfalls? things to avoid / watch out for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Re: New issues ... Steering wheel / Brakes

Sounds like there was intermittent resistance in the heating element in the wheel that finally failed. Same thing happened to mine and it is a common problem with the 08's. Good luck finding a wheel. If your interior is cashmere, that supplier went TU years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    If your interior is cashmere, that supplier went TU years ago.
    It certainly is cashmere interior in mine unfortunately (I wanted black interior but couldn't find one with the other options I wanted).
    I might have to see if they will get a heated wheel of that color and swap over my buttons if one of those exist.

Alden's Daddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 V8 1SG
    In my boredom last night I did an "07 Cadillac STS" search and if my memory serves me right I think I remember a few cashmere heated wheels minus airbags.

----------

****eBay search... Sorry

Well I have a service contract that should hopefully cover the wheel issue. So eBay would be a last choice since who knows how many of those have bad wheels.
    But more importantly the 07 wheel is a different physical and electrical design compared to the 08+

GM parts direct lists a wheel that is the options I need but doesn't say what color it is.

[ 1 ] STEERING COLUMN / STEERING COLUMN / STEERING WHEEL / STEERING WHEEL
    steering wheel STS; w/Heated Wheel; w/Adaptive Cruise
    Order By Description.

MSRP
    $786.91

Online Price
    $466.48

I like how adaptive cruise makes the wheel 2x the price.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Get the one without then.

Switches can easily be transferred over to the new wheel.

Also make sure its wood or no wood.

Since it doesn't say I'll bet that is the main difference in price.
    I would venture a guess that all adaptive cruise cars came with wood wheel and not all heated wheels have wood.

Would be nice to see some part numbers but oh well I'll just have to hope that the dealer can get the right wheel if the service contract covers it that is.
    Otherwise I'll probably pay a visit over to Rippy's phoneline / PM with Chris to see what he can do.

Heated Steering Wheel

The heated steering wheel system consists of a heated steering wheel, a heated steering wheel switch, and a steering wheel heat module.
    The heated steering wheel includes a non-serviceable heating element and temperature sensor. The heating element and sensor are located in the rim of the steering wheel.
    The heated steering wheel switch is located in the steering wheel switch bezel. The steering wheel heat module is located on the backside of the steering wheel center hub.
    When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the controller and the heated steering wheel is turned ON. The system then remains ON until the customer turns it OFF.
    The wheels normal operating temperature is 32C (89.6F). The wheel takes approximately 3-4 minutes to reach the normal operating temperature.
    The wheel will take longer to heat up if the vehicle temperature is below -21C (-5.8F).
    The built-in temperature sensor provides input to the controller to limit the temperature to the normal operating temperature.
    The wheel will not operate if the vehicle temperature is at or above 32C (89.6F).

^^^ since my wheel seems to work when it is certainly warmer than this in the car it only makes sense that there is some kind of failure causing it to read the wrong resistance values.
    Subsailor613 likes this.

Stopped by the dealer on the way home ... they said they couldn't find any wheels around the area but would call me if they could locate one.
    I'm not expecting a call, when I mentioned possibly getting the non-ACC version and swapping the switches he kind of gave me a look that was like "yeah ... I don't think we can do that".
    eBay has a non-ACC version wheel for $200 + shipping, no idea if the heater works or not.

He didn't bother calling to see if the wheel would be covered since they don't have any available.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    08+ wheels aren't d/ced. Talk to rippy

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    08+ wheels aren't d/ced. Talk to rippy
    Interesting ... I pm'd Chris @ Rippy to see what he can find.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

I've posted on many occasions that my dealership shows stock on many of the 08+ wheels in GM's warehouse(s). This myth running around the forum that all 2005+ heated steering wheels are not available is just that, a myth. 2005-07 perhaps, but 2008+ stock has not dried up. If your dealer doesn't think you can swap controls, your dealer clearly doesn't understand how these are constructed. You can purchase each set of switches independently of the wheel so that in itself is a pretty clear indication they are replaceable.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Issue #1: Heated Steering Wheel
    -------------
    About a week or so ago I decided to test out the theory that the Heated steering wheel doesn't operate if the car is warm (it was like a 90F+ day).
    First click on the button did nothing, so I did a long press and the heated wheel turned on and heated up.

So the other day on the way in to work it was a little chilly out ~55F or so and I was like I'll turn on the wheel to take the edge off and it doesn't work at all.
    Then at the end of the day I figure I'll take it to the dealer, get in the car and press the button and works fine (inside the car was rather hot, DIC showed EXT temp at 95F since it was sitting in the sun all day). On the way home yesterday I tried it again (and it was around 80F on the DIC) so the wheel was already hot and it worked, on the way in today it just flicked on for a 1/10th of a second and when out no matter what I tried. It hasn't worked since.

I can't imagine that it would or could be a fuse since it was working then stopped then worked again then stopped, then worked again and stopped.
    Its like it works if the wheel is hot already so it must have some broken wires that connect when they heat up.

So in the middle of the summer I'll be at the dealer trying to get a new heated wheel, hope they still make mine.

-------------

Issue #2: Brakes
    -------------
    Also on the way in today the DIC flashed "CHECK BRAKE FLUID" very briefly and then "RADAR CRUISE NOT READY", "SERVICE BRAKE ASSIST", "SERVICE STABILITY SYS"
    Why does this car seem to hate me so much?

I was a block or so from work when this happened at sub 30MPH speeds, fluid level seems fine to me.
    It isn't at MAX level but it certainly didn't seem to be low to me.

I guess it just means I should do that Brake job I planned to do a while back.
    I bought a set of black zinc coated slotted and drilled rotors and new pads for all 4 wheels from brakeperformance.com for ~$400 (free shipping).

So if the level is actually low and it is tripping some sensor regarding the level it won't really matter much since it will refill itself just by re-compressing the brakes' pistons.
    And I'll have to maybe 'top it off' then too depending on what kind of work I put into the brakes since they make that annoying creaking / crunching / cracking noise while using the brakes.
    There is the TSB about lubing the caliper pins that supposedly fixes this but we shall see, I remain skeptical about it fixing the issue.

I've got JE5 brakes in this car, any tips? pitfalls? things to avoid / watch out for?
    Hello,

I am deeply sorry to hear that you are experiencing some issues with your vehicle. Can we be of any assistance?

Sincerely,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

dnett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, N*, 1SF

I changed the front brake pads on my '06 N* with JE5 brakes a couple of months ago. It was BY FAR the easiest pad replacement I have ever done - and I have changed the brakes myself in all of the vehicles I have ever owned. Once I got the wheel off, it took no more than 5-10 minutes to change out the pads. Granted, I didn't replace the clips, but they looked fine. Hope it's as easy in your '08.

My pads came with new clips, and I have that terrible creaking noise in my calipers so I'll have to do some extra work instead of just pads

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    I would venture a guess that all adaptive cruise cars came with wood wheel and not all heated wheels have wood.
    Nope. I have adaptive cruise and mine is all leather, no wood. When I asked my dealership, they list two possibilities under my VIN. One has wood and one doesn't. I have the N31 RPO which doesn't have wood.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.