Shift & TCC solenoids in my 5L50E replaced...I have 5th gear again!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mckellyb
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Shift & TCC solenoids in my 5L50E replaced...I have 5th gear again!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It wasn't anywhere near as difficult or challenging as I though it'd be, having only mechanically-controlled, read: check balls and ...
    mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Shift & TCC solenoids in my 5L50E replaced...I have 5th gear again!!!

It wasn't anywhere near as difficult or challenging as I though it'd be, having only mechanically-controlled, read: check balls and springs, automagics apart in the past.

Solenoids vs. check balls and springs...solenoids win, hands down, though unlike check balls and springs, they may get flaky sooner than rebuild time.

The three forward shift solenoids were $27 each, plus a metal and rubber gasket, worth every cent of the $27 it cost, and a new filter, because even though the filter was changed a couple of weeks back, I didn't know how much clutch material was sloughed off during the past couple of months of odd 5th gear shifting.

Not much, turns out, but I replaced it, regardless.

This image, yeah, this is scary:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps5a18f02b.png

However, when you pull the pan, it looks like this, and is as complicated as you need to get for solenoids:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...psae017b2b.jpg

The rear three, this picture is inverted, looking toward the engine from the rear, require only a thin, flathead screwdriver, unplugging an electrical connector which has a locking tab on it so brittle, it falls off if you look at it sternly for more than about 0.0472 seconds. None of the four I replaced have the locking thing, anymore. It's not like they're loose, though. If any do manage to work loose, I have a plan.

Stick the flathead screwdriver through the items circled in yellow. Makes more sense when you're in there, but these are push-lock retainers. Super simple. That's all which holds them in the valve body. Not only that, but they're oriented in such a manner, you don't have to do anything extra to replace them.

Now, the torque converter, TCC, solenoid. That one does require a bit of extra work, but it's not at all horrible. The location prevents it from sliding out 'cause of the transmission's case. No biggie.

What?! You don't have an ET8 socket?! Slacker!!!!!!!

Kidding, I don't either. I've read the bolts holding the valve body to the case are an external Torx...just when you thought they could not get worse...bolt, but it turns out, and I'm just busted-ass lucky for eyeballing this (or I've done a few too many hack jobs (on my own vehicles)), a 1/4" inch six-point socket is a near-perfect fit! Well, as long as you're not putting 80 ft. lbs. of torque on it....

You don't need to pull them, just loosen about halfway, then the front of the valve body drops/can be pulled down enough to remove/replace the TCC solenoid.

Again, I had issues only with the 4-5 solenoid, but they've all been in there the same amount of time....

I went with the high dollar pan gasket, not knowing if I'd have to go back in here, again. This one, yeah, it's not inexpensive, but wow, is it well designed/built!!!!

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps6efcfc80.jpg

I ordered Madtuner's ECM/TCM tweaking wares, today, so I hope to have it all in tip-top shape come mid-week. Yesterday, on a test run, it still behaves a bit oddly, but I think it's re-learning 'cause the behavior changed over about 10 minutes. The 4-5 shift, which no longer existed, before, has become a 4th-converter unlock-3rd-5th-converter lock series of 'shifts'.

We'll see.

edit: I kinda have 5th gear. As long as speed is steady, around 50-65 MPH, and there is absolutely zero incline, it'll stay in 5th, otherwise, it's as if the clutches start slipping horribly, which I don't think it is.

I fear I'm looking at a new valve body, but first I need to run a couple of tests on this one.

For joy.

At least 1-4 is still okay...for now.
    Charles Warren likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

Re: Shift & TCC solenoids in my 5L50E replaced...I have 5th gear again!!!

what was your car driving like???

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Re: Shift & TCC solenoids in my 5L50E replaced...I have 5th gear again!!!

Sorry for the delay.

It was shifting 'wrong'. Hunting, the occasional flare between gears, eventually 5th gear would slip at the slightest hint of a grade or accelerator increase. Turns out my 2/3 clutches were shot...those may be the same ones for 5th.

This reminds me, I need to sell a valve body... Sigh.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.