2007 STS Shift to park error!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2007 STS Shift to park error!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, does anyone know how to remove the console on a 2007 STS?? I will need to remove it to ...
    searayless is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2007 STS Shift to park error!!!

Hello, does anyone know how to remove the console on a 2007 STS?? I will need to remove it to replace the shifter assy. My STS has only 50k on it. Any way the error will not go out now and runs the battery down. Thanks Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: 2007 STS Shift to park error!!!

I think some members have found success with adjusting the shifter but my wife's dealer replaced hers. I trust a member who's done the job will chime in soon.

For a while, pressing the brake and/or fiddling with the shifter helped shut off the car. But then the lights started staying on and/or it kept running; a real pain. Her extended warranty covered all but a deductable. These are not inexpensive cars to enjoy, but we sure did today! 4 states worth (I-70 -> I-75 -> US-35 -> I-64 -> I-77 -> I-64). I-81 is next! (Please forgive the thread Hi-jack!)

Good Luck!

searayless is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks, I have a new shifter assy. but was needing help on how to remove the console.

Carvone is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS 1SG & 10 STS 1SG

I had the same message on mine, while it was in for warranty work I asked them to look at it. It is a non-warranted item and it would cost and hours labor, so I went home a tried it myself. Put the car up on the ramps, slide under the passenger side at the shifter area. You will see the shifter lever and adjustment bolt right there (I think it was an 8 or 9mm), loosen it, move it a half inch, and retighten. Get in car and test, most likely you went the wrong way, so go back under and move and inch in the other direction and try again. It took me a couple tries to find the sweet spot but it is perfect now.
    Super easy job that takes all of 10 minutes. I would try this first before installing a whole new shifter assy.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

From this thread I posted on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Automatic Transmission Shift Linkage Adjustment

(Note: this was posted online in 2008 so it likely applies to model years newer than this as well, I have not seen this in any TSB)
    Hope it helps someone that is having issues with their shifter, maybe it will be good info.

This information applies to the 2004-08 SRX, 2005-08 STS and 2006-08 CTS equipped with automatic transmissions.

Many automatic transmission shift control related concerns can be corrected with linkage adjustment.

DO NOT replace a shifter assembly without first attempting to correct the condition with the linkage adjustment procedure (fig. 8).
    Refer to SI for the proper service procedures.

A Adjustment issues - forward biased
    B Adjustment issues - rearward biased

TIP: Symptoms of forward-biased adjustments (fig. 9) include cluster blanking out in Drive, and Tap Mode not functioning.
    Ensure that the linkage is adjusted properly when Drive blanks out, or Tap Mode does not function.

A Forward biased
    C J-bracket
    D Linkage

TIP: Symptoms of reverse-biased adjustments (fig. 10) include the inability to remove the key, or inability to exit Accessory Mode.
    Ensure that the linkage is adjusted properly when there is the inability to remove the key, or inability to exit Accessory Mode.

B Rearward biased
    C J-bracket
    D Linkage

TIP: When diagnosing a binding shift control system, disconnect the linkage from the shifter assembly and check the shifter assembly
    for smooth operation independently from the linkage. The transmission should be in Park during evaluation.

The linkage adjustment procedure is critical for proper transmission operation; therefore, several checks need to be performed after
    the linkage is adjusted:

- Inspect the operation of the starting system with the shift lever in each position.
    -- The engine should crank only when the lever is in the Park or Neutral position.

- Ensure that the feel of the shift detents align with the gear indicator.

- When in each gear, apply the button and release. Then slightly reposition the handle fore-and-aft in the vehicle. The button pawl
    will make a clicking noise if it is caught on a control mechanism gate. The button should not get caught up on the control mechanism
    gate in any gear. Readjust and retest if necessary.

- Return the lever to the Park position and check for proper engagement. Park position should feel solid and not spongy.
    The shift lever should not be bottomed out on the stop bumper when engaging the Park position. Readjust and retest if necessary.

- With the ignition on and the engine not running, ensure a smooth transition from position D to Tap Mode and back.
    Ensure that the DIC changes to the gear indicator mode. If the DIC does not change to gear indicator mode, or any binding or rough
    spots are felt, repeat the linkage adjustment procedure and retest the system.

If any of the following conditions exist after performing the linkage adjustment, the shifter may need to be replaced.

- The shifter binds when putting the vehicle into gear or Park
    - The ignition key sticks or is hard to remove from the ignition lock cylinder (SRX only)
    - The Shift to Park message is constantly displayed on the DIC when the shifter is in the Park position
    - Dead battery
    - The Tap Shift functions may experience a delay when operating the Tap-Up or Tap-Down mode
    - The Tap Shift functions are inoperative
    - The MIL/SES light is illuminated with one of the following DTCs:
    - DTC P0815 - Upshift Switch Circuit
    - DTC P0816 - Downshift Switch Circuit
    - DTC P0826 - Up and Down Shift Switch Circuit
    - DTC P1876 - Up and Down Shift Enable Switch Circuit Low Voltage

Source

PzNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Can't help with a how-to but I find it interesting that I have the same year STS and mine crapped out at 55k mi. Extended warranty took care of it, but still, wtf?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Dealers would rather replace than adjust and take the chance of a second visit. Even without warranty, it's still not much, under $500.

What do think you bought?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.