Backup sensors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Backup sensors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, I just bought a 2005 sts and it has rear bumper damage. I removed the bumper cover and ...
    Ewest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Backup sensors

Hello all, I just bought a 2005 sts and it has rear bumper damage. I removed the bumper cover and 2 of the sensors fell off. I can't figure out how to attach them. It looks like they are part of the bumper but not sure. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Backup sensors

The sensors are not part of the bumper cover, they are replaceable parts. Depending on the vintage of vehicle, GM used a couple of different methods to mount these. On the newer STS (2008 and newer for sure, because I have had mine apart, and perhaps some earlier years), there are molded tabs which are part of the fascia that the sensors clip into. Some earlier GM vehicles (not sure if this applies to the STS or not), there were separate clips that hold the sensors in place. These generally fit into a hole on the fascia and have tabs that the sensors snap into. All four of your sensors will attach in the same manner so look closely at the other two and you'll know how they are supposed to attach. Look for evidence of broken tabs on your rear fascia.

Thanks for the info.they are tabs that are molded into the facia and yes they are broke off. I don't know the best way to attach. Can I just get some of the clips and fix it or are they completely different?

I'm guessing the tabs are missing completely, if not, a body shop would likely be able to repair them. There are several good plastic repair adhesives but the best one depends on what the base material is. Alternatively, I'm sure there are some creative ways you could fabricate something to hold them in place. The sensors themselves are very expensive so you may not want to do anything that will permanently bond them to the fascia in case you ever need to replace it. Depending on how much you want to spend, you could also purchase a used rear fascia and replace the entire piece. This would likely involve paint (which can be costly). You might get lucky and find one in your colour that doesn't need paint. A great resource for parts is www.car-part.com for used. Chris from Rippy Cadillac (member here on the forum) could likely set you up with new for a good price. With paint though, you're still looking at quite a bit.

I still have the tabs they fell off but were still connected to the sensors. I removed the cover and tried to see how they were attached now I know they are part of the cover. One of them is still attached but just partially. I put my hand up behind it while it was still on the car and the problem is it is too close to the aluminum bumper it needs some adjusting even if I can get them attached to the cover.

The clearance is not very much but unless there is something out of place, everything should fit together properly. As long as you have the tabs you should be able to find a body shop that can attach them again, hopefully to stay. Like I said, there are several different plastic repair adhesives/products. Selecting the correct product is very important for a successful and permanent fix. The automotive industry uses a lot of different plastics but there will be markings on it somewhere that will indicate what it's made of. The body shop will recognize the markings and this will help them to use the correct product. I doubt you would find anything retail that will work very well. The products I'm suggesting are usually considered dangerous goods, must be disposed of correctly and therefore usually only sold commercially.

Thanks a lot for all of your help. I will take it to the body shop and see.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.