Front Ball Joint Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1BadCadSTS
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Front Ball Joint Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all got a question for people that have done front end work on their car. I recently had a ...
    madmanmogan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 1SC

Front Ball Joint Question

Hello all got a question for people that have done front end work on their car. I recently had a metal popping sound in the front end and took the car to the dealership. After test driving it tech said that I had the wrong lugs nuts on the car and that this had started to make the ball joint loosen up (he said the joint was fine but the bolt was working itself loose. Also one of the front tires was mounted on the rear rim. Car drives better after they fixed it except for the way overpriced alignment that now makes my car pull right. So taking it back tomorrow for them to try again.

Anyway, my question is about the bolt for the ball joint. I thought cotter pins were normally used so that it cant work itself loose so would it be a one time use bolt? A friend of mine that works on cars pointed that out to me. I would like to know since the receipt said ball joint bolt re-tightened. Thanks Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I have NEVER in my life herd of lug nuts causing ball joint failure unless it threw the wheel and the ensuing catastrophe blew the ball joint.

The nut youre refering to is a castle nut. That said I have also seen ball joint secured with a teflon nut which usually requires heating to burn the teflon and remove the nut.

madmanmogan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 1SC

Re: Front Ball Joint Question

1BadCadSTS, thanks for the reply. The ball joint didnt fail, the service tech said that since the wrong lugs were too short the ball joint was working itself loose. I took that as the castle nut was starting to come loose. they told me not to drive it anymore or it could become catastrophic. That said I would imagine that since the castle nut matters so much you would want a locking nut and you don't re-tighten those you replace it if it becomes loose.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    That's just it though. If the castle nut was installed properly and a carter pin installed unless the pin was sheared off or became dislodged there is no way it could of been "loose". Either way I'm glad your issue is solved but the story they gave you doesn't sound kosher in the least.
    mckellyb likes this.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Front Ball Joint Question

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    I have NEVER in my life herd of lug nuts causing ball joint failure unless it threw the wheel and the ensuing catastrophe blew the ball joint.

The nut youre refering to is a castle nut. That said I have also seen ball joint secured with a teflon nut which usually requires heating to burn the teflon and remove the nut.
    You're describing an elastic stop nut. The plastic is generally nylon, they are used by the thousands on aircraft, and they can be removed and reused using ordinary handtools. That being said, there is very little about this story that makes sense. Either the OP is mistaken, didn't hear the story right, or was fed a big load of BS.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Lug nuts had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the ball joint failing. NOTHING.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.