Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Serious oil issue - overfilled the engine

12K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
So I check my oil maybe once a month. Checked it the other day it was like 1-2 quarts left check today bone dry... Added 7.1 quarts and now it's way over full... So confused need some help don't plan on using the car until I figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong
For the record I changed the oil like 2500 miles ago and have the northstar v8

#3 ·
No serious marks that could account for that much oil loss coolant is at the full mark the engine is cold and has been cold throughout this ordeal

----------

The oil is about an inch / inch an a half over the thatched section of the dipstick how much over is that? How many quarts? Enough to do damage?

#4 ·
Re: HELP Serious oil issue

There is only about a quart difference between the top and bottom of the thatched area. If the oil shows at the very bottom of the thatch, that is a quart low. You better drain some oil before you break something.

#5 ·
Ok so I have possibly 5 quarts too much any sugguestions what to do? Should I do an emergency oil change in the driveway or can I drive less than 5 miles? Is it possible to drain some oil and close it back up or would that be insanely messy

----------

So if the oil is at the very bottom of the dipstick does that mean I only lost 1 quart because that's what started this fiasco. It was at the very bottom and I thought I had lost 5+ quarts of oil so I added a big bottle

#7 ·

I would drain it all out and put back in the required amount. Measure how much came out so you know what really went on.
When and if you need to add oil just add a little at a time and recheck the dipstick allowing some time for the oil to run down into the pan.

Doug

#8 ·
Yeah I made the mistake of adding it all at once and not checking in between. So the dipstick only measures 1 quart (like between 7-8quart mark) because when I saw the oil so low on the dipstick I thought I had lost 4-6 quarts but I guess losing a quart in 2500 miles isn't the end of the world

#9 · (Edited)

Northstar dipstick - pretty much the same for FWD and RWD ..............

<=== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE =========oo==========================O
1..........2 ...........3 ..........4 ...........5

1. 2 quarts low
2. ~0.5 quart low
3. Proper level
4. Too much oil
5. Dangerous - oil aeration and loss of pressure.

1 quart in 2500 miles is right smack in the middle of the GM design curve for oil consumption in a Northstar. Many CF Northstar owners would kill to get that sort of oil economy - particularly the FWD crowd.

#10 ·
Alright so I hope you guys don't tell me I just killed my engine... So I took out all the oil came out to like 13 liters. I then closed it up and put about 6/6.5 quarts in. The oil was mix of brand new oil and 2500mile oil so it was a little dirty. The oil now reads just over the thatched section of the dipstick. I plan on doing a legitamate oil change by the end of August now that I wasted 7 quarts. Well lesson learned.

#24 ·
I like the way both sound. Most people think our cars sound like hemis lol well lets see hemispherical heads high compression but srt8 noise sounds a tad better but 4.6/4.4 vs 6.1/6.4 not bad for a smaller cubed engine. Just a bit cheaply made far as materials and to be honest looks like they bit off cts but cts was bit off by alot of others so has sts the last gen fusion looks like a caddy at a quick glance the new taurus was shaped off either. But it's not like 2000 Deville didn't look like a s class but the auto world designers move around so it's expected

#25 ·
Charles Warren said:
no gm 3.8 l67 to be exact

----------

srt 8 engine is ok but i dont like mopar personally but ill thake a 300 srt8 any day over my gtp but if i had a stsv i wouldnt.
The gm 3.x series engines had intake manifold issues but I never heard of an oil issue. Not once did I see one go bad for that. Now coolant in the oil and spun bearing I've seen plenty of.

#26 ·
One of our vendors, SC2150, has posted some pictures of some pretty nasty oil pooling in 3.6 intake manifolds - due to the PCV system. His take is that, if you can't stop the oil carryover, at least install a catch can system to clean the PCV "dirty air" before it dumps oil in the manifold.

............ The Chrysler van thing - One of my stepdaughters/family had some sort of a Chrysler van a little while ago - nicknamed "The People Mover". It ran its nuts off day and night as well as 2 trips to the West Coast and back to Norfolk, VA - they had excellent service from it.

#27 ·
Submariner409 said:
One of our vendors, SC2150, has posted some pictures of some pretty nasty oil pooling in 3.6 intake manifolds - due to the PCV system. His take is that, if you can't stop the oil carryover, at least install a catch can system to clean the PCV "dirty air" before it dumps oil in the manifold.

............ The Chrysler van thing - One of my stepdaughters/family had some sort of a Chrysler van a little while ago - nicknamed "The People Mover". It ran its nuts off day and night as well as 2 trips to the West Coast and back to Norfolk, VA - they had excellent service from it.
Sorry I should of been clearer. I mean the 3000 series motors like warren inferred. The 3100 3400 and 3800. I don't consider the 3.6 of the same family as its a totally different engine (ohv vs dohc).

As for the 3.6 sisters 05 srx drinks 3 qrts every 1000 miles so I know all about that issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.