2005 STS Value?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Value? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm thinking of buying a used Cadillac, but I'm trying really hard to educate myself about cars. I really do ...
    Eva14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Sedan DeVille

2005 STS Value?

I'm thinking of buying a used Cadillac, but I'm trying really hard to educate myself about cars. I really do not want to get ripped off.

My local Caddy dealership just got a 2005 STS with 46,000 miles. They are asking $14,999. I haven't yet seen the car in person, so I can't comment on its condition. I've seen photos online.

I went online to Edmunds and KBB to try to figure out the car's true value.

It looks like a 2005 STS with 46,000 miles in OUTSTANDING condition should sell for about $10,900.

Is this 4k difference the standard retail markup, or is it more of a rip-off? (Dealer stated that the car was below KBB retail value, which sounds like an outright lie). This dealer is always claiming their cars are listed BELOW KBB retail value, but anyone can go on the Internet and check to see that's not true.

When I go to KBB and punch in the numbers to see what a comparable STS is worth, is that the price that it should be listed for on a used car lot? Or should I expect a retail mark-up on top of that?

Do used car lots tend to always overprice their cars because they want to see if people will bargain with them? Is this somewhat standard....asking 15k when the car's KBB value is more like 11k at most? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: 2005 STS Value?

Don't know how much you should expect to be able to take off the price but 1. The dealer has to pay the bills and 2. Yeah I'd say they expect you to try to talk them down so they inflate the price. How much? I don't know. I can almost guarantee you won't get the car for 11, but if you're not in a position where you need the car ASAP, doesn't hurt to low ball them. Just have to be prepared for them to say no. Stand your ground, walk out, if they call, they call. If not, there's plenty of other STSs out there. Do yourself a favor and avoid the v6.
    doowap57 likes this.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva14
    I'm thinking of buying a used Cadillac, but I'm trying really hard to educate myself about cars. I really do not want to get ripped off.

My local Caddy dealership just got a 2005 STS with 46,000 miles. They are asking $14,999. I haven't yet seen the car in person, so I can't comment on its condition. I've seen photos online.

I went online to Edmunds and KBB to try to figure out the car's true value.

It looks like a 2005 STS with 46,000 miles in OUTSTANDING condition should sell for about $10,900.

Is this 4k difference the standard retail markup, or is it more of a rip-off? (Dealer stated that the car was below KBB retail value, which sounds like an outright lie). This dealer is always claiming their cars are listed BELOW KBB retail value, but anyone can go on the Internet and check to see that's not true.

When I go to KBB and punch in the numbers to see what a comparable STS is worth, is that the price that it should be listed for on a used car lot? Or should I expect a retail mark-up on top of that?

Do used car lots tend to always overprice their cars because they want to see if people will bargain with them? Is this somewhat standard....asking 15k when the car's KBB value is more like 11k at most? Thanks!
    Depends on options especially engine and awd

Cars worth what someone's willing to pay. No more no less.
    doowap57 likes this.

doowap57 Guest

Red face Re: 2005 STS Value?

Depends what Package it has, 1SB Package gets less than a 1SF or 1SG.
    Open the trunk, and lift the spare tire cover, notice a white tag on the end.
    the Package is next to the 1SZ notation.Also a V8 will get more than a V6.
    $ 14,900 is TOO high, for even last year.
    Keep forgetting about AWD,that changes price also.
    Good Luck in your selection.

MurrayP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac STS

Hi Eva14,

I paid $11,900 for 2008 N* 1SE. Now, it does have 90+ miles and some very minor body imperfections (no dings)... but she goes! Had her for a couple months now and have been reading this forum daily. Lots of great info on here and I enjoy reading all the new developments. My car is really wonderful and I always look forward to driving her every day and cleaning her frequently. Much more enjoyable than the 98 540i I had last summer as a Sunday car. The BMW was old but in beautiful condition - look at her sideways though and she is broken again. Not so with the caddie so far. I feel confident in this car. Let's see how I am feeling in a few months...
    Attached Images

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    Eva,

I may be looking to sell a 2005 v8 rwd soon. We had our first child so are looking to potentially get a mid size suv. PM me if interested.

People are so quick to jump on minivans and SUVs these days. It was me my brother and sis and parents - family of 5 riding around in a little Altima. No problems. It's gonna take a lot to get me out of a sedan in the future. It'll take a family of 6+ to be exact.
    Ludacrisvp and mckellyb like this.

viccampjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS

Picked up a 2007 STS 4 with 58,000 miles on it about three weeks ago and it's the best thing i did for myself in over 5 years.I looked around at many others before grabbing this one. It's loaded to the extreme and seriously looks and drives like new.

I bought the STS from a larger dealership here in NJ. I watched the listed price from the dealership which was for sale for over 3 months.The car didn't sell right away the first month because they had it priced at 23,900. After about a month and a half or so it dropped to 19,999 and stayed there at that price with no buyers yet,but could have sold easy because of its outstanding condition.

Then one day i was on the internet looking at other 2007 STS's and there it was priced for 15,999, so i went to see/drive this awesome condition caddy that day. After viewing this caddy in person i couldn't believe how "like new condition" it was in and that allthough the pictures show the car well it was actually better inperson. I knew at that moment i had to have this STS. Anyway, I ened up getting the STS for 15,000 after a tough battle against the seasoned saleperson and haven't looked back.

The STS you are interested in sounds like a well taken care of car. Money comes and goes..but a low mile gem of a beauty only shows up once in a while and not so often. Have you seen and driven the car yet?

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

No way I would pay over $10000 for a 9 year old STS no matter what the features, mileage or condition. Just saying

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Its not a Buick. If I found an sts plat with all the toys and low miles I would buy for over 10. Hell I'm in the market for a V. I your that cheap then best dump it now before the repair bills hit.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by viccampjr View Post
    Picked up a 2007 STS 4 with 58,000 miles on it about three weeks ago and it's the best thing i did for myself in over 5 years.I looked around at many others before grabbing this one. It's loaded to the extreme and seriously looks and drives like new.

I bought the STS from a larger dealership here in NJ. I watched the listed price from the dealership which was for sale for over 3 months.The car didn't sell right away the first month because they had it priced at 23,900. After about a month and a half or so it dropped to 19,999 and stayed there at that price with no buyers yet,but could have sold easy because of its outstanding condition.

Then one day i was on the internet looking at other 2007 STS's and there it was priced for 15,999, so i went to see/drive this awesome condition caddy that day. After viewing this caddy in person i couldn't believe how "like new condition" it was in and that allthough the pictures show the car well it was actually better inperson. I knew at that moment i had to have this STS. Anyway, I ened up getting the STS for 15,000 after a tough battle against the seasoned saleperson and haven't looked back.

The STS you are interested in sounds like a well taken care of car. Money comes and goes..but a low mile gem of a beauty only shows up once in a while and not so often. Have you seen and driven the car yet?
    Hello vicampjr,

I am very happy to hear that you are quite satisfied with your STS and the great deal you got on it! If you have any questions or concerns relating to your vehicle, please feel free to reach out to us via private message. Thank you very much for posting your story and enjoy your new vehicle!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Condition is a big determinant in used car prices; almost more than mileage, certainly more than the trim level of an STS or the specific options a car has (excepting the 'V', of course.) A base V6 STS started around $42 and topped $66 when equipped like my 1SG. Now, equivilent examples used can be found under $2,000 apart.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    People are so quick to jump on minivans and SUVs these days. It was me my brother and sis and parents - family of 5 riding around in a little Altima. No problems. It's gonna take a lot to get me out of a sedan in the future. It'll take a family of 6+ to be exact.
    I love my STS, but by the time you get a car seat, stroller, pack and play and 2 dogs into it it is pretty cramped. I actually have to move my seat forward so the car seat fits without hitting.

Of the two cars we have, the STS is worth more, so selling it to pay for something bigger will minimize our payment. Its more about the budget at this point

Gotcha. I'm surprised you have to move your seat up. Well I'm 5'7" so I guess that's why I'm surprised.

Alden's Daddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 V8 1SG
    I had to move my seat up for a car seat too on my test drive the other day. And when I got out and the seat slid back, the car seat was definitely in the way. Baby boy will need to go behind the passenger seat!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.