2005 STS Value? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Value? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by surgeont how does one know the package designations? 1LG or whatever the different ones are? I bought ...
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by surgeont
    how does one know the package designations? 1LG or whatever the different ones are? I bought an 05 STS 8 cylinder with the wheels that have small screws all the way around, and its not a V, but has everything but ACC/HUD option. Its a beautiful dark metallic gray with a tint of blue in it. At least that what Im seeing. Paint is original but in super condition. Beige interior. Nav, auto wipers and other cool stuff. I looked at a light blue V car in Colorado while on vacation a month ago, but with 55K and what sounded like a bad wheel hub assy, very bad wood on the inside, and the 24 K price it scared my wife off. I havent seen the blue V before. I came back to Florida and found this one for a little over 12 but it also had 28K on the odometer and I love the car. I detailed it to the max, changed all the fluids though it had a stack of local Cad dealer service records showing what seemed to me an 8 year old brand new car.
    Rpo codes

Based on wheels most likely a 1sf or 1sg

surgeont is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: 2005 STS Value?

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    you must have over $20K invested in tools alone

I can not imagine how anyone can repair a car at home, today, as technical and ergonomically challenging as luxury cars can be to work on

For example...in the late 90's i owned a 1992 Mercedes S class....under warranty( thank God) I had a very typical issue with the car...a leaking A/C evap core
    Mercedes buried the part inside the dash...so the dash had to be completely disassembled to get to the part. Labor( book) was 16 hours to disassemble and replace...then 16 more hours to re assemble the dash

if you know that vintage of Mercedes...140 chassis...there was tons of wood trim, tons of dials and switches that had to be removed and reconnected
    I can only imagine all the wires behind the dash

I can't imagine anyone but a trained Mercedes tech having tools at the dealership being able to do that job

and this was a $3500( Mercedes dealer cost) repair in 1999...Like I said mine was done under warranty

So...I dont know what you have...but its hard for me to believe one could repair a car like that...which I call a premium luxury car...at home

I get the fact that an STS is not an S class by any stretch...but I would still think its just something that would be hard to do without a significant invest in both tools, supplies and training

Warren
    I have always found German cars with their so called superior engineering to be #1 super high cost on replacement parts#2 engineered so you cant work on them w/o special tools and equipment. Make a friend or pay a small price(not a $100) to a shop to analyze computer code, and then do it yourself. If you take care of it, most of the time its only little things anyway and when I cant do it, a local shop gets it done w/o too much cost considering Ive been saving by doing most other stuff myself anyway. So far with the exception of a check engine light on my AWD Rendezvous, It drives great and everything works. I need a drivers window switch ($28 on ebay)and I paid the local repair shop to fix the AWD light so Ill take it back and get him to honor his business. My 02 Bonneville SSEi was the easiest car I ever worked on,that wasnt over 25 years old. I could get to everything, and a hub assy, power window assy, and an A/C compressor were all fairly easy and cheap. One exception is the power roof. Its a pain in the ass and nobody will fix it cheap.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Roofs are almost always expensive & fussy work, but have you tried a body shop? They often know tricks that the mechanics don't. They really helped reduced some wind noise on my wife's 2007 STS.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    you must have over $20K invested in tools alone

I can not imagine how anyone can repair a car at home, today, as technical and ergonomically challenging as luxury cars can be to work on...

...I dont know what you have...but its hard for me to believe one could repair a car like that...which I call a premium luxury car...at home

I get the fact that an STS is not an S class by any stretch...but I would still think its just something that would be hard to do without a significant invest in both tools, supplies and training.
    Actually I only have about $5000 wrapped up in tools. It's not as complicated as you think, at least on a GM vehicle. I have only a couple of specialty tools, the Tech II and a Northstar waterpump tool. Other than that, lots of different size extensions, lots of different length screw drivers, crow foot wrenches, torque wrenches, etc. If its a tool I only expect to use once or twice I'll go to Harbor Freight or one of the chain auto stores for a cheapy. Other than that, it's Craftsman tools which are good enough. Oh, and the most important tool, A LOT OF PATIENTCE.

I've been inside of every part of a vehicle outside of a manual or automatic transmission.

Training has been learn as you go for me (almost went the ASE mechanic route as a youngin'). It started out with being 16 and not having a car if I didn't get it fixed and put back together. Now I have 4 vehicles so I can afford to have one down for awhile if necessary while I figure out how to fix it or locate the part at a reasonable price. My winter beater has been down for about 3 months as I got the parts to rebuild the front suspension. Hit a snag with aftermarket Monroe struts so I had to learn about the options of working with the camber and caster on the vehicle and a few aftermarket parts to get it true again. I'm hoping to be back on the road with it next week.

Believe it or not, with a good tool like the Tech II and the factory service manuals, the expensive $300 set not the $20 Chiltons or Haynes you can do so much of your own troubleshooting and repairs. The factory manuals even tell you what conditions to test and which options to select on the Tech II in many cases.

I've done the following very cheaply as the result of having the Tech II:

1. Replaced ECM with a tuned unit in my 02 Trailblazer. Able to re-learn cam position sensor and reset theft deterrent system for different ECM. $150 cost for the new ECM and tuning.
    2. Installed factory nav into an 02 Trailblazer by telling the BCM that it was an 03 so the Nav option would come on in the tool (wasn't available in 02). Turned it on and it worked just like the factory unit. Reset the theftlock so it would re-marry to my BCM $500 cost for the nav unit.
    3. Installed factory nav into an 03 STS that didn't come with it. That was easy since it was an option for that year, also reset theftlock so it would marry to the new BCM. $400 cost for the nav unit.
    4. Adjusted tire size on my 05 Escalade since the previous owner put oversize tires on it. No cost.
    5. Easily isolated the air bag sensor on my Escalade as well, cost was $82 IIRC for the sensor (no throwing parts at it).
    6. Isolated two different faulty wheel speed sensors on my 02 Trailblazer. Cost was $0 there as I had spares from old hubs.
    7. Isolated my air compressor on the Escalade as the reason for my SRC light in the dash. $175 to replace.

Outside of what the Tech II did for me I've also done the following with just hand tools and a couple of not so expensive specialty tools:

1. Complete suspension rebuilds on a couple of vehicles (very big $$$ if you have done at a shop).
    2. Distributor and water pump assembly on my Corvette.
    3. A/C compressor replacements to include vacuuming the system and refilling with R134 afterward.
    4. Many complete brake system rebuilds.
    5. Rear end rebuild (actually cost me a few bucks to have a shop clean up after me on setting the lash), learning experience but much cheaper in the end still.
    6. Various sensor replacements (some Tech II related, most not).
    7. Several wheel bearing replacements over several vehicles.
    8. Main bearing replacements on the 2nd car I ever owned. Didn't have machine work done but it lasted me another 15K miles before I was able to get a new vehicle. Just did some measuring and bought the closest oversized bearings I could find.
    9. Pulled and replaced heads on two vehicles, one old and one DOHC engine.

Now out of that list I gave you. How much do you think that would have cost to have professionally repaired at a shop? I'll venture a guess that it would likely pay for another vehicle.

At least for me cars have never been an issue and I've never been afraid to tackle a problem. I've only had one vehicle that I couldn't get running again and that was due to a very deteriorated wiring harness that would have cost more than the car to replace. Other than that I've been pretty fortunate to be able to fix just about anything I've ever attempted.

If you can afford the time and the possibility of having your vehicle down for a little bit while you learn how to troubleshoot and repair it you can save a fortune.

Paul Reed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DeVille Base 110k

Just picked up a great condition STS for 14,600...72k, V8, Nav...too much?

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Year?

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

If its a 2005 yes, by about a third.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reed View Post
    Just picked up a great condition STS for 14,600...72k, V8, Nav...too much?
    I'd say if you're happy with the vehicle then you didn't pay too much. Maybe you see one in the paper now for $11,000 and think to yourself that you paid too much. Chances are though, that $11K bargain wouldn't be as good as your $14.6K purchase or it would have been selling for higher.

I don't know about the rest of the posters but I pay more for condition of the vehicle than I do the mileage. I've also looked at a second, older STS to try to keep some of the miles off my V (100 mile daily commute). All the 05-07 AWD V8s I've seen have near 100K or more miles on them and cost over $10K. The couple that I've seen were pretty beat up, neglected, etc. Most used cars I've looked at needed a new set of tires as they had either worn or mismatched tires, that ain't cheap either. It also depends on where you live, I know in the D.C. area, and the L.A. area where I spent ten years prior you didn't find these bargain vehicles very often if at all.

I spend a lot of time, wasted time and money driving to look at good deals that are heaps. Too many dealerships describe their vehicles as excellent condition, showroom, etc. Only when I show up I find bad body work, trashed and stained interiors, and even vehicles with SES or Suspension warning lights on. I looked at two non-Cadillac vehicles over the last two weekends that were priced cheaper and described as clean or excellent condition. One vehicle the IPC didn't work and had a stained headliner with holes worn in the dirty carpeting, the other had rust bubbles under the paint from what I suspect may have been a bad body repair and electrical issues. Both vehicles were each one wasted day of a weekend. I'm about done looking for these 'bargains'.

You can get a cheap vehicle and end up spending more money on it than paying a premium for an excellent maintained and cared for vehicle. Quality paint work costs thousands if you need to have the car repainted. Interior pieces cost a fortune if you're trying to replace scratched, scared, or cut up pieces. Suspension work costs a fortune if you need to replace magnetic ride shocks, etc, etc, etc.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    If its a 2005 yes, by about a third.
    Not to pick on you, but you appear to be in the same general area as I am. Can you point me to some of these $10K STSs that I should be looking at? I've yet to come across one in that price range that isn't ragged-out, beat up, and in need of some expensive work.

I'd love to find an 05 STS for $10K. I'm looking for AWD though so I'd expect to pay a little more than the $10K.

The only ones I've seen in my area in that price range are pretty rough, 150K mile vehicles on corner/wholesale lots.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Not to put too fine a point on it, you and I aren't even close to each other. I wasn't particularly talking about local cars, however the dealer retail book on a loaded 2005 V8 is $10,700 in my area and it goes down from there. In fact my dealer has a clean one on his lot right now for $10,990 and I'm sure he would deal. There are several on ebay for around $10K right now. I wouldn't pay that much for a nine year old car. Just my opinion. I guess your research indicates differently.

Mileage differs greatly

For kicks I asked my dealer how much my 05 AWD 1SG all options minus ACC/HUD returned to stock would be for on trade and he said 14-15k on trade in.

Its paid off still under warranty until November not a single problem and only has 53,000 so it's not worth trading in toward an ATS yet...

I don't understand everyone's hatred for the 05, the only difference between it and an 06 is the Secure Car feature which I added, an 07 got the 6 speed which isn't that much a difference and 08+ they designed the suckers to look like the CTS which I hate how much my car gets called a CTS as it looks now...

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Yeah mine is called a CTS often. One guy goes "my buddy has this car but it has the Vette motor in it" ... I've just stopped trying to correct them. But I do prefer the STS front and rear over the CTS greatly. Not a fan of the proportions of the CTS in this body style for the front and rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Used car prices vary a lot and STS prices vary even more because the different trim levels produce very different driving experiences. It is very difficult and expensive to add/change features & options.

A very clean and well maintained car has value not always accurately represented in pricing guides. A buyer's preferences may be unique to them.

As long as the price isn't going to change your lifestyle, I wouldn't waste time thinking about it. These are great cars and an absolute kick to drive. Have some fun. Drive it like you stole it.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, you and I aren't even close to each other. I wasn't particularly talking about local cars, however the dealer retail book on a loaded 2005 V8 is $10,700 in my area and it goes down from there. In fact my dealer has a clean one on his lot right now for $10,990 and I'm sure he would deal. There are several on ebay for around $10K right now. I wouldn't pay that much for a nine year old car. Just my opinion. I guess your research indicates differently.
    Close is relative, I drive 50 miles each way to work so 80 isn't a big deal to me. LOL. My 03 STS I drove about 70 miles for and was glad to have done it. I got a clean, fully loaded 42K mile car for $15K from a Caddy dealer of all places back in early 08.

I tend to shy away from non-local cars because unless I can see and drive them I won't take a many thousand dollar gamble on one like eBay vehicles from across the country. I have looked at a few eBay vehicles in the past because they were local to me, all were disappointments and nothing like the listing described or showed. One particularly bad vehicle I looked at I noticed the pictures posted were taken very carefully where you couldn't see the problems/damage. A cut off seat in the pic coincided with a rip in the fabric, cigarette burns in the headliner, shoddy body work, etc.

I took a look again tonight from Richmond to D.C. on autotrader and didn't see anything I'd even go look at for under $10K. The closest thing I'd look at was around 50K miles and those were going for $15K+

I did come across a Silver 90K miles 06 V in Richmond for $19K though if anyone is interested. I'd go look at it if I were in the market but I'd be skeptical at the price, even at 90K miles. I just don't see many under $23K. My 07 V @ 79K miles was $21.6K and I was surprised at how clean it is, if it would have been in the average condition of an 80K mile vehicle I would have passed on it.

As far as spending $10K on a 9 or 10 year old car, you have to look at what you're getting. Sure, it's an older vehicle but it's still 20% or so of what the original owner paid for it. I wouldn't spend $10K on a 10 year old Chevy Malibu but on a clean Cadillac I don't see much wrong there.

On the buyer's side it looks expensive, but as a seller if you paid $60K for it new only to find out it's worth less than $10K later you'd be pretty disappointed, I know I would and that's why I don't buy new vehicles anymore. There are way too many bargains in the used domestic luxury vehicle market.

zlgibby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Mileage differs greatly

For kicks I asked my dealer how much my 05 AWD 1SG all options minus ACC/HUD returned to stock would be for on trade and he said 14-15k on trade in.

Its paid off still under warranty until November not a single problem and only has 53,000 so it's not worth trading in toward an ATS yet...

I don't understand everyone's hatred for the 05, the only difference between it and an 06 is the Secure Car feature which I added, an 07 got the 6 speed which isn't that much a difference and 08+ they designed the suckers to look like the CTS which I hate how much my car gets called a CTS as it looks now...
    Bad, at least they called it a different CADILLAC and not a Mercury Millan like mine did when I had to tires put on. Lol. I have no problems with my 05.

Quote Originally Posted by zlgibby

Bad, at least they called it a different CADILLAC and not a Mercury Millan like mine did when I had to tires put on. Lol. I have no problems with my 05.
    That's horrible. It would of been bad to of called a CTS a Buick worse yet but a Ford product, that's blasphemy!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.