2005 STS Value? - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Value? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by KRSTS No way I would pay over $10000 for a 9 year old STS no matter what ...
  1. #16
    turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    No way I would pay over $10000 for a 9 year old STS no matter what the features, mileage or condition. Just saying

    agreed

    There was a dealer(Cadillac/GM) about 100 miles away from me with two V8 1SG's...06 AWD for $12,900 asking price...07 for $15,900 asking price
    I know the 06 had ACC/HUD about 80K miles...not sure about the 07


    Warren

  2. #17
    BT5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade Hybrid
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    I don't tell too many people about this, but since no one here REALLY knows who I am, I'll share my little secret-I was in the used car biz for a while, yes I admit it, I was a used car salesman! (haha, actually I'm not that embarrassed, it actually was sort of a fun job, just the long hours and sometimes long waits twiddling my thumbs waiting for another customer could be painful, but I wasn't half bad at it and made some decent money for the time) I have my own business now, so its all just a memory, but I did learn a few things about buying used cars from a dealer. I'd say the first thing is that the "blue book" values, whether its kbb, edmunds or whoever, don't mean a whole lot, sure they're in the ballpark, but that's about it. There's so many variations, especially when you consider how big the USA is, for instance AWD is a BIG plus in the northern half of the country but its kind of a drawback in Florida-less mpg, more stuff to break, etc. People would come in all the time with the kbb printout for a car and we couldn't have cared less what it said!

    A lot of what I saw determining what any particular car would sell for depended on a lot of things, many of which were quite random, first off, how much did the dealer have "into" that car, if we took it in on a new car trade-what did we pay for it, or what did we pay at an auction for it, plus we always had to run them through service to have them safety checked, sometimes things would come up, how much did that cost, etc. Other times, it could just depend on what kind of mood the sales managers were in! Or, maybe we were trying to push to meet a sales goal, sometimes that meant end of the month, other times it could just be an arbitrary date. Yes, generally the longer a car sat on the lot, the lower the price would go, yet if it was a "hot" car, it wouldn't be on the lot for long.

    So, its all kind of random as to what a dealer ultimately will sell a car for. Now, if I were looking for a steal on an STS, or any Caddy, I'd actually be inclined to look for one at a non-Caddy dealer. I worked selling just used cars (where the $$ is) for a Honda dealer. We'd price all of our Hondas nice and high, because we knew we had a steady stream of Honda-friendly buyers coming through the doors every day. (actually, used Hondas are a pretty easy sell anywhere) We'd also price Toyotas, Scions, Lexus, etc pretty high and almost as high for Nissans, Subarus, etc. all cars that Honda people might be also interested in. If we ever had a Caddy on the lot, it would probably be a bit of a better deal, because we knew we'd have to price it right to sell off of our mostly import lot.
    mckellyb likes this.

  3. #18
    turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by BT5150 View Post
    I don't tell too many people about this, but since no one here REALLY knows who I am, I'll share my little secret-I was in the used car biz for a while, yes I admit it, I was a used car salesman! (haha, actually I'm not that embarrassed, it actually was sort of a fun job, just the long hours and sometimes long waits twiddling my thumbs waiting for another customer could be painful, but I wasn't half bad at it and made some decent money for the time) I have my own business now, so its all just a memory, but I did learn a few things about buying used cars from a dealer. I'd say the first thing is that the "blue book" values, whether its kbb, edmunds or whoever, don't mean a whole lot, sure they're in the ballpark, but that's about it. There's so many variations, especially when you consider how big the USA is, for instance AWD is a BIG plus in the northern half of the country but its kind of a drawback in Florida-less mpg, more stuff to break, etc. People would come in all the time with the kbb printout for a car and we couldn't have cared less what it said!

    A lot of what I saw determining what any particular car would sell for depended on a lot of things, many of which were quite random, first off, how much did the dealer have "into" that car, if we took it in on a new car trade-what did we pay for it, or what did we pay at an auction for it, plus we always had to run them through service to have them safety checked, sometimes things would come up, how much did that cost, etc. Other times, it could just depend on what kind of mood the sales managers were in! Or, maybe we were trying to push to meet a sales goal, sometimes that meant end of the month, other times it could just be an arbitrary date. Yes, generally the longer a car sat on the lot, the lower the price would go, yet if it was a "hot" car, it wouldn't be on the lot for long.

    So, its all kind of random as to what a dealer ultimately will sell a car for. Now, if I were looking for a steal on an STS, or any Caddy, I'd actually be inclined to look for one at a non-Caddy dealer. I worked selling just used cars (where the $$ is) for a Honda dealer. We'd price all of our Hondas nice and high, because we knew we had a steady stream of Honda-friendly buyers coming through the doors every day. (actually, used Hondas are a pretty easy sell anywhere) We'd also price Toyotas, Scions, Lexus, etc pretty high and almost as high for Nissans, Subarus, etc. all cars that Honda people might be also interested in. If we ever had a Caddy on the lot, it would probably be a bit of a better deal, because we knew we'd have to price it right to sell off of our mostly import lot.
    you actually have given some market intelligence
    1. Those KBB..NADA etc are just a range...and not a litmus test
    I have never paid book for anything

    2. There are certain makes that are in more demand...and I get the fact that a dealer( of that make) would probably have higher pricing

    I would also assume they would have a higher selection and those people that specifically want say a cadillac will be more inclined to go the dealer as opposed to just another dealer

    Also stands to reason that Hondas..lexus..etc as you mentioned will sell anywhere
    The market has driven those cars to more mass desirability than a Cadillac

    The thing that you didnt speak about..and maybe it is for a new car finance person

    GM had to be losing their A$% on leasing these STS's. They inflated the residual to keep the payment inline with competitors. However when the cars came back from lease they were worth no where close to what there lease residuals were....like 12-15K less after 36 months
    YIKES...that spells losing $$

    The good news is that the CTS seems to fare a lot better in regard to those ratios of lease residual vs actual used car market price


    Warren

  4. #19
    curtc's Avatar
    curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 135k
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,613
    Quote Originally Posted by BT5150
    Now, if I were looking for a steal on an STS, or any Caddy, I'd actually be inclined to look for one at a non-Caddy dealer. I worked selling just used cars (where the $$ is) for a Honda dealer. We'd price all of our Hondas nice and high, because we knew we had a steady stream of Honda-friendly buyers coming through the doors every day. (actually, used Hondas are a pretty easy sell anywhere) We'd also price Toyotas, Scions, Lexus, etc pretty high and almost as high for Nissans, Subarus, etc. all cars that Honda people might be also interested in. If we ever had a Caddy on the lot, it would probably be a bit of a better deal, because we knew we'd have to price it right to sell off of our mostly import lot.
    That's exactly why I bought mine from a Ford dealer. They had it listed for $19,999 in early 2012 with 71k on it. Well it sat for a few weeks, and they slashed it to $15,999, that's when I showed up...Who's gonna go to a Ford dealer and pay $20k for a used Caddy when you can get a brand new Ford for less?

    Well, this guy pretty much did!
    mckellyb likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

    2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

  5. #20
    turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    That's exactly why I bought mine from a Ford dealer. They had it listed for $19,999 in early 2012 with 71k on it. Well it sat for a few weeks, and they slashed it to $15,999, that's when I showed up...Who's gonna go to a Ford dealer and pay $20k for a used Caddy when you can get a brand new Ford for less?

    Well, this guy pretty much did!
    while I understand your point

    your logic is somewhat flawed

    based on the sales numbers they have to be selling more trucks/sport utilities than passenger cars

    so they would have to have a large percentage of sales over the $20K mark in the new vehicle department

    In the car department...not sure how many Taurus's they are selling...but the average Taurus would have to be over $20K as well...in fact closer to $30K I bet

    I say this ofcourse without knowing how much lease business a ford dealer typically does



    Warren

  6. #21
    BT5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade Hybrid
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    you actually have given some market intelligence
    1. Those KBB..NADA etc are just a range...and not a litmus test
    I have never paid book for anything

    2. There are certain makes that are in more demand...and I get the fact that a dealer( of that make) would probably have higher pricing

    I would also assume they would have a higher selection and those people that specifically want say a cadillac will be more inclined to go the dealer as opposed to just another dealer

    Also stands to reason that Hondas..lexus..etc as you mentioned will sell anywhere
    The market has driven those cars to more mass desirability than a Cadillac

    The thing that you didnt speak about..and maybe it is for a new car finance person

    GM had to be losing their A$% on leasing these STS's. They inflated the residual to keep the payment inline with competitors. However when the cars came back from lease they were worth no where close to what there lease residuals were....like 12-15K less after 36 months
    YIKES...that spells losing $$

    The good news is that the CTS seems to fare a lot better in regard to those ratios of lease residual vs actual used car market price


    Warren
    I don't know if anyone else remembers this but I remember back when the whole "auto bailout" days were going on, like early 2009 I think it was, that subject did come up, about just that how especially GM had been losing its you know what on the lease residuals and I specifically remember hearing that leasing would never be same again, if there would be leasing at all. Just doing a quick search, I found this article from 2008:

    http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-gm-...lues-fall.html

    I remember talking to my parents about it, as they've been leasing new Caddy's for many years and how (as of then) apparently those days were over! Yet, here we are, 4 or 5 years later and leasing seems to be going just the same as it always was, including what I think is one heck of a deal, (and what might keep me from picking up a used STS or CTS-which is why I'm lurking on the forum here!) the deal for the $299/month lease on the ATS. I'm seriously considering an STS, yet I keep thinking I might be nuts when I can go and lease a new ATS for $299/month (for a moderately equipped model-a little more for a loaded one) with about $3000 due at signing. This lease is so cheap again because they're counting on a very high residual value on the ATS.

  7. #22
    turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by BT5150 View Post
    I don't know if anyone else remembers this but I remember back when the whole "auto bailout" days were going on, like early 2009 I think it was, that subject did come up, about just that how especially GM had been losing its you know what on the lease residuals and I specifically remember hearing that leasing would never be same again, if there would be leasing at all. Just doing a quick search, I found this article from 2008:

    http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-gm-...lues-fall.html

    I remember talking to my parents about it, as they've been leasing new Caddy's for many years and how (as of then) apparently those days were over! Yet, here we are, 4 or 5 years later and leasing seems to be going just the same as it always was, including what I think is one heck of a deal, (and what might keep me from picking up a used STS or CTS-which is why I'm lurking on the forum here!) the deal for the $299/month lease on the ATS. I'm seriously considering an STS, yet I keep thinking I might be nuts when I can go and lease a new ATS for $299/month (for a moderately equipped model-a little more for a loaded one) with about $3000 due at signing. This lease is so cheap again because they're counting on a very high residual value on the ATS.
    I think the truth of the matter is that they were losing their A&% on those leases and had been for years

    There is not a financial way you could offer those lease payments when the cars were going back from lease return auctions at such low values....and it not be at a loss....or someone explain to me as it sounds lize fuzzy math to make money on cars that had lease residuals that were $12-15K above what the market was bringing on a used one

    It was catch 22 though...they had to offer( and still have to) lease payments that are in line with the competitors to move cars
    The trouble was the competitors were maintaining a lot more value when the lease return went to auction

    But anyway...cars with high resale like the BMW 3 series lease for low rates...they have to have a comparable lease to a 3 series for the ATS to compete


    Warren

  8. #23
    mzznlink is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 STS
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    I just picked up a 2005 STS, loaded with 45K miles. Edmonds priced it at 12,500, they wanted 13,000, got it for 12,000.

  9. #24
    turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by mzznlink View Post
    I just picked up a 2005 STS, loaded with 45K miles. Edmonds priced it at 12,500, they wanted 13,000, got it for 12,000.
    hopefully V8 1SG AWD for that price?

    I say that because i know where a 2006 $12,900( GM dealer asking price) V8 1SG AWD HUD/ACC with 81K miles is
    They have a 2007 1SG V8 with 71K for $15,900 as well( no AWD, HUD/ACC)

    I know mileage is HUGE on the value of these cars


    Warren

  10. #25
    dkozloski's Avatar
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak
    Age
    75
    Posts
    26,931

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    All you potential 8 year old car buyers keep in mind that you may be buying a car for around $12,000 but you'll be paying for parts and maintenance on a $60,000 car. You'll be one mechanical catastrophe away from looking for a $1500 beater to drive while you save your pennies to get the Caddy fixed.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!


  11. #26
    turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    All you potential 8 year old car buyers keep in mind that you may be buying a car for around $12,000 but you'll be paying for parts and maintenance on a $60,000 car. You'll be one mechanical catastrophe away from looking for a $1500 beater to drive while you save your pennies to get the Caddy fixed.
    and you have just pointed out why these cars traditionally dont "age" well

    by that I mean...because of the fast depreciation...many times you get a buyer( who buys it cheap) but cant or won't put the money needed into the car for repairs

    think about how many 10 year old caddy's you see driving around with " check ride control" lights( or other warning lights) lit up on the dash


    Warren

  12. #27
    dkozloski's Avatar
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak
    Age
    75
    Posts
    26,931

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Exactly!
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!


  13. #28
    wake's Avatar
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    573

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    All you potential 8 year old car buyers keep in mind that you may be buying a car for around $12,000 but you'll be paying for parts and maintenance on a $60,000 car. You'll be one mechanical catastrophe away from looking for a $1500 beater to drive while you save your pennies to get the Caddy fixed.
    Very good point.

    I own three older, very expensive to maintain vehicles. The only reason I can afford to own them is I do the work myself and shop around to find the parts much cheaper than a shop would charge. If I had to rely on a shop to repair my vehicles I'd be poor.

    I also have a beater car but that is more a snow commuter and mall parking lot vehicle. LOL.

    I've spent a lot of money on vehicles and the tools to maintain them over the last couple of decades. A used Tech II cost me $2000 about six years ago but has saved me quite a bit of money with its capabilities and likely paid for itself already. Things like replacing a cam position sensor, factory radio, etc aren't possible without this tool unless you want to pay a dealership $100 a pop each time you need them to hook it up to calibrate the cam position sensor, marry a new body computer or factory radio to the car, etc.

    Even a non high-line vehicle will cost a fortune to repair today when you need to replace anything computer related.
    mckellyb likes this.

  14. #29
    turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    Very good point.

    I own three older, very expensive to maintain vehicles. The only reason I can afford to own them is I do the work myself and shop around to find the parts much cheaper than a shop would charge. If I had to rely on a shop to repair my vehicles I'd be poor.

    I also have a beater car but that is more a snow commuter and mall parking lot vehicle. LOL.

    I've spent a lot of money on vehicles and the tools to maintain them over the last couple of decades. A used Tech II cost me $2000 about six years ago but has saved me quite a bit of money with its capabilities and likely paid for itself already. Things like replacing a cam position sensor, factory radio, etc aren't possible without this tool unless you want to pay a dealership $100 a pop each time you need them to hook it up to calibrate the cam position sensor, marry a new body computer or factory radio to the car, etc.

    Even a non high-line vehicle will cost a fortune to repair today when you need to replace anything computer related.
    you must have over $20K invested in tools alone

    I can not imagine how anyone can repair a car at home, today, as technical and ergonomically challenging as luxury cars can be to work on

    For example...in the late 90's i owned a 1992 Mercedes S class....under warranty( thank God) I had a very typical issue with the car...a leaking A/C evap core
    Mercedes buried the part inside the dash...so the dash had to be completely disassembled to get to the part. Labor( book) was 16 hours to disassemble and replace...then 16 more hours to re assemble the dash

    if you know that vintage of Mercedes...140 chassis...there was tons of wood trim, tons of dials and switches that had to be removed and reconnected
    I can only imagine all the wires behind the dash

    I can't imagine anyone but a trained Mercedes tech having tools at the dealership being able to do that job

    and this was a $3500( Mercedes dealer cost) repair in 1999...Like I said mine was done under warranty

    So...I dont know what you have...but its hard for me to believe one could repair a car like that...which I call a premium luxury car...at home

    I get the fact that an STS is not an S class by any stretch...but I would still think its just something that would be hard to do without a significant invest in both tools, supplies and training


    Warren

  15. #30
    surgeont is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hobe Sound Florida
    Age
    61
    Posts
    8

    Re: 2005 STS Value?

    how does one know the package designations? 1LG or whatever the different ones are? I bought an 05 STS 8 cylinder with the wheels that have small screws all the way around, and its not a V, but has everything but ACC/HUD option. Its a beautiful dark metallic gray with a tint of blue in it. At least that what Im seeing. Paint is original but in super condition. Beige interior. Nav, auto wipers and other cool stuff. I looked at a light blue V car in Colorado while on vacation a month ago, but with 55K and what sounded like a bad wheel hub assy, very bad wood on the inside, and the 24 K price it scared my wife off. I havent seen the blue V before. I came back to Florida and found this one for a little over 12 but it also had 28K on the odometer and I love the car. I detailed it to the max, changed all the fluids though it had a stack of local Cad dealer service records showing what seemed to me an 8 year old brand new car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting