How are your STS's holding up?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, How are your STS's holding up? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Fellow Cadillac Owners, Currently a 2nd Gen CTS owner and looking with interest at the upcoming 3rd Gen CTS, which ...
  1. #1
    ultimate_ed's Avatar
    ultimate_ed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    174

    How are your STS's holding up?

    Fellow Cadillac Owners,

    Currently a 2nd Gen CTS owner and looking with interest at the upcoming 3rd Gen CTS, which really is going to be the true replacement for the STS as far as market positioning goes.

    Now, the current STS and CTS both ride on versions of the Sigma platform, so they share a lot in common. Yet, the STS was positioned above the CTS in market and price.

    Over my years with my car, I've come to realize that GM had to make a lot of compromises in the CTS to hit the price point that they launched it at. Many of us in the CTS forum have developed and either dealt with or lived with a host of squeaks and creeks as the car has proven itself to just not be very tightly put together.

    I'm curious what kind of experience STS owners have had as your cars have aged. Were they better built with that extra cost and are holding up better? Or have you guys seen the same kind of issues we CTS guys have had and it is really more an issue of GM build quality, regardless of price?

    I'm curious to get a feel of what kind of build quality we can expect out of the new CTS, particularly since it is moving several thousand dollars up the price scale.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,810

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    curtc will likely have a good voice on this one as he had a CTS previously that I know of.
    Other members I think have also made that same switch.
    Other than sitting in the 2nd gen CTS at car shows I have little to add for direct comparison.
    I feel that the STS has a lower interior build quality of cadillacs of the past (comparing to 2000-2005 Deville/Seville) so this makes for some interior noise issues.
    That price point did include an overall larger car on the same platform with several additional features and a 3rd engine choice.

  4. #3
    curtc's Avatar
    curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,168

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    To be honest, I don't notice a bit of difference between interior build quality (my 1st gen CTS seats were sure quieter!!) between the 1st gen CTS/STS...I traded my CTS in for the STS at 94k and the STS now has 105k. I just wanted a more luxurious looking interior as the 1st gen CTS interior is just so plain, doesn't look like a Cadillac interior at all...the extra inches in the back seat are a plus too! Now, I did test drive a 2nd gen CTS and the interior looked to better put together, materials used were also of higher quality from what I could tell. I did not like how it drove however, the extra weight kinda killed the CTS experience, I prefer the 1st gen as far as driving experience goes.

    As far as the rest of the car goes I think it all depends on the owner...I got my CTS at 46k and it was MINT minus a couple dings in the paint, and it was pretty much in that same state when I traded it in (Except for the new roof that got put on due to a not so bright turkey, shhh I didn't disclose that when I traded it in). The STS was in fantastic shape too when I got it at 71k and I don't notice any difference at 105k...I think the care taker has A LOT to do with how a car holds up over time.


    I made the switch for 3 main reasons....1. My 3.6 was starting to clatter on cold starts 2. I wanted the extra interior space/more luxurious 3. I wanted my Northstar V8 back!
    Past Cadillac's

    2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

  5. #4
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,810

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    My seats are completely quiet unless the seat ventilation fans are on.
    They don't wobble/rock/squeak.

  6. #5
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,372
    V interior panels make a night and day difference...

    Differences:

    Center-
    Arm rest less padding better leather
    Real leather trimmed and stitched shifter bezel
    Leather trimmed sides on consol

    Door panels-
    Real leather with stitching throughout the upper and lower sections
    Seude perforated inserts
    Chrome trim beltline


    I would LOVE to get a V dash and a member here has promised me 1st dibs on his!




  7. #6
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,810

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    V interior panels make a night and day difference...

    Differences:

    Center-
    Arm rest less padding better leather
    Real leather trimmed and stitched shifter bezel
    Leather trimmed sides on consol

    Door panels-
    Real leather with stitching throughout the upper and lower sections
    Seude perforated inserts
    Chrome trim beltline


    I would LOVE to get a V dash and a member here has promised me 1st dibs on his!



    Can you remind me where you sourced these?
    New GM parts? or Salvage?
    Did you have wood color matching issues?

  8. #7
    curtc's Avatar
    curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,168

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    My seats are completely quiet unless the seat ventilation fans are on.
    They don't wobble/rock/squeak.
    Not mine, not at ALL!!! It actually drives me insane some days...I am going to try tightening the bolts tonight to see if that helps otherwise I'll be splicing some hose to install in between as suggested by the TSB at some point this summer.
    Past Cadillac's

    2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

  9. #8
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,005

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    Yes I was going to bring up the interior. The cts interior is nicer than the sts interior material wise UNLESS you get the STS-V or a regular sts with the platinum edition. In that case, the quality of the sts interior is tens of thousands of dollars more well done than the cts interior which is reflected in the price of these cars. 1bad cad I haven't forgot about you for the dash.

    The sts has a better sound system, and the v8 option over the cts. It's a more mature looking car as well.

    Now about the new cts. You are aware it will be built on the alpha platform, not sigma, right? The same one the ats is built on. It is supposed to gain 5-6 inches over the gen 2 CTS, only 1 of these inches being between the wheels. In other words, most of the growth is rear overhang. Kind of sucks, but it will give the car a more "complete" look. Sometimes you look at a car and just get that feeling that something is missing. I've always felt that the cts needed a little more car behind the rear wheels, but don't get me wrong.. One of the most beautiful cars on the road. For me it's the Ferrari 599, Maserati granturismo, and a fully loaded cts (17 inch rims are too small on that car) that are the most beautiful cars you can buy today. The extra overhang will complete the look. Also the new platform is why the new wider, longer cts will be hundreds of pounds lighter than the current one. Very cool. Also lower. Nice.

    Compromises with the gen 2 cts? Yeah there were some, but GM knew sts was on its way out the door so they didn't change much on them. Never got the cornering headlamps, never got satellite based nav, never got a USB outlet, or even an auxiliary outlet for that matter. And we're talking up until 2011 when production ended.

    When I heard the new cts was going with 13 speakers I was immediately disappointed. We have 15. But in the new CTS's defense, 4 of ours are little ones in the seats. Still, 13+4 in thee seats would've been nice. The Chrysler 300 is sitting on just under 20 I believe.

    Also I'm sure you heard that the increase in interior room for the new cts over the old cts is very negligible and disproportionate it its exterior growth. Sts has a much larger interior.

    The new cts is going to have an absolutely impressive interior looking at the pics. More porous leather (less treated giving it a less plasticky feel) porous exposed wood like in the Audi a7, leather with stitching on the center of the steering wheel. Speaking of the leather, the seats on the cts v2 have a very hard, plasticky feel to them compared to the sts.

    You're absolutely correct in saying that the 2014 cts will be the gen 2 sts. This is why a couple of folks in the sts-v forum including myself have our eyes on a 2015? CTS-V. The current cts v will live on for 2014 while the regular CTSs start with gen 3.

    The cts v sport is a pretty enticing thing too. 420-430 HP in a less than 4k lbs car makes it ALMOST as fast as an sts-v.

    Build quality issues.. What drove me to the sts was its reliability believe it or not. It's what drove me to the sts v8 (which I've since sold) over the v6. The same DI v6 with questionable reliability that's in the CTSs. It's also what made it ok for me to go with the v. The only thing I can say that could potentially be a prevalent issue is wobbling side view mirror glass at speed, requiring the replacement of the entire mirror. Had the issue on my sts v8 on the left and then again on the sts-v on the right. For the record, parts, labor including painting the mirror (keep in mind it's the blind spot monitoring mirror, not sure if that matters) you're looking at around $550.

    The rest of people in this forum who owned a regular sts for longer can tell you of other recurring issues.
    Just as the sts was, the cts will be cadilac's flagship sedan, so look for very little compromise, especially in this highly competitive executive luxury sedan segment.

    ----------

    Just to add to this, a close friend has a loaded cts4 3.6 DI 2008 so I'm very knowledgeable on those cars.

  10. #9
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp

    Can you remind me where you sourced these?
    New GM parts? or Salvage?
    Did you have wood color matching issues?
    Schram auto wreckers. Was $600 shipped for all of it.
    I swapped my oem wood over there are screws you can access.

  11. #10
    EChas3's Avatar
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cedarburg, WI
    Age
    56
    Posts
    7,031

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    RPO IL3 Premium Tuscany Leather Seats is available on more than just Platinum Edition STS's.

  12. #11
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,810
    True. Its what I have.

    Sent from my One

  13. #12
    EChas3's Avatar
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cedarburg, WI
    Age
    56
    Posts
    7,031

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    We are happy with our STS's. Mine was built 8 years ago; my wife's, about 6 and a half. She has had hers longer, over 5 years. I've had mine about 4 and a half.

    Both cars have required repairs costing a bit more than the cost of the CPO/extended warranties. The pace of such repairs has actually slowed over time. I hope that continues...

  14. #13
    ultimate_ed's Avatar
    ultimate_ed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    174

    Re: How are your STS's holding up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Yes I was going to bring up the interior. The cts interior is nicer than the sts interior material wise UNLESS you get the STS-V or a regular sts with the platinum edition. In that case, the quality of the sts interior is tens of thousands of dollars more well done than the cts interior which is reflected in the price of these cars. 1bad cad I haven't forgot about you for the dash.

    The sts has a better sound system, and the v8 option over the cts. It's a more mature looking car as well.

    Now about the new cts. You are aware it will be built on the alpha platform, not sigma, right? The same one the ats is built on. It is supposed to gain 5-6 inches over the gen 2 CTS, only 1 of these inches being between the wheels. In other words, most of the growth is rear overhang. Kind of sucks, but it will give the car a more "complete" look. Sometimes you look at a car and just get that feeling that something is missing. I've always felt that the cts needed a little more car behind the rear wheels, but don't get me wrong.. One of the most beautiful cars on the road. For me it's the Ferrari 599, Maserati granturismo, and a fully loaded cts (17 inch rims are too small on that car) that are the most beautiful cars you can buy today. The extra overhang will complete the look. Also the new platform is why the new wider, longer cts will be hundreds of pounds lighter than the current one. Very cool. Also lower. Nice.

    Compromises with the gen 2 cts? Yeah there were some, but GM knew sts was on its way out the door so they didn't change much on them. Never got the cornering headlamps, never got satellite based nav, never got a USB outlet, or even an auxiliary outlet for that matter. And we're talking up until 2011 when production ended.

    When I heard the new cts was going with 13 speakers I was immediately disappointed. We have 15. But in the new CTS's defense, 4 of ours are little ones in the seats. Still, 13+4 in thee seats would've been nice. The Chrysler 300 is sitting on just under 20 I believe.

    Also I'm sure you heard that the increase in interior room for the new cts over the old cts is very negligible and disproportionate it its exterior growth. Sts has a much larger interior.

    The new cts is going to have an absolutely impressive interior looking at the pics. More porous leather (less treated giving it a less plasticky feel) porous exposed wood like in the Audi a7, leather with stitching on the center of the steering wheel. Speaking of the leather, the seats on the cts v2 have a very hard, plasticky feel to them compared to the sts.

    You're absolutely correct in saying that the 2014 cts will be the gen 2 sts. This is why a couple of folks in the sts-v forum including myself have our eyes on a 2015? CTS-V. The current cts v will live on for 2014 while the regular CTSs start with gen 3.

    The cts v sport is a pretty enticing thing too. 420-430 HP in a less than 4k lbs car makes it ALMOST as fast as an sts-v.

    Build quality issues.. What drove me to the sts was its reliability believe it or not. It's what drove me to the sts v8 (which I've since sold) over the v6. The same DI v6 with questionable reliability that's in the CTSs. It's also what made it ok for me to go with the v. The only thing I can say that could potentially be a prevalent issue is wobbling side view mirror glass at speed, requiring the replacement of the entire mirror. Had the issue on my sts v8 on the left and then again on the sts-v on the right. For the record, parts, labor including painting the mirror (keep in mind it's the blind spot monitoring mirror, not sure if that matters) you're looking at around $550.

    The rest of people in this forum who owned a regular sts for longer can tell you of other recurring issues.
    Just as the sts was, the cts will be cadilac's flagship sedan, so look for very little compromise, especially in this highly competitive executive luxury sedan segment.

    ----------

    Just to add to this, a close friend has a loaded cts4 3.6 DI 2008 so I'm very knowledgeable on those cars.
    Yes, I probably should have pointed that out I am aware the new CTS will share the ATS's Alpha platform. I expect that means that when the CTS V and CTS coupe get moved to the Alpha platform, it will be the final nail for Sigma.

    I did point out Sigma as the sharing point for the 2nd CTS and the STS as the basis for trying to determine if the several thousands higher base price of the STS over the CTS got a more tightly put together car. Looks like the opinion is mixed on that regard though I feel somewhat of a lean in opinion that, on average, STS's probably were put together better.

    I am certainly disappointed that the "bigger" CTS that's coming isn't going to be so in any useful fashion - the back seat and the truck are the two biggest weaknesses of my 09 CTS and the 14 isn't going to fix either of them.

    I could have gone with the STS when I got my car, but at that stage, the available infotech was important to me and the new CTS looked much better in that regard. Although, I did make the mistake of buying into this "all new" approach from Cadillac and expected they had learned from Apple and Google the need to continue to update and advance the system. Sadly, the CTS's have rotted on the vine in that regard. I'll be curious to see if CUE turns out more serious in that regard, or if Cadillacs 5 years from now are still going to be rolling with the same interfaces that they are coming off the line with today.

    Honestly, as much as I want to really love the new CTS, with the way I drive and what I do with my car, the XTS Vsport looks like it might prove to be a better fit.

  15. #14
    curtc's Avatar
    curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,168
    Only you if you want AWD/FWD...XTS will never be available with RWD...
    Past Cadillac's

    2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

  16. #15
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,810
    Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Only you if you want AWD/FWD...XTS will never be available with RWD...
    Correct. And the XTS V-Sport is going to be available is AWD only. It was deemed to have too much HP to be usable in the FWD only version.

    Sent from my One

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting