Warranty options for 07 with 65k miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Warranty options for 07 with 65k miles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Any thoughts on available after market warranties before I buy my 07 STS 4 N*? Thanks all! Sent from AutoGuide.com ...
    Alden's Daddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 V8 1SG

Warranty options for 07 with 65k miles

Any thoughts on available after market warranties before I buy my 07 STS 4 N*? Thanks all!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

Re: Warranty options for 07 with 65k miles

I bought a 3 year/36k aftermarket warranty through Ford when I purchased mine from the Ford dealership. IIRC it ran me over $2k but it has already paid for itself as I have had the rear pinion, and both rear axle seals replaced as well as a new starter at a Cadillac dealer...I've came out on top with mine but I know others who weren't as lucky.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Dealers may make some money on warranties but the STS is an expensive car to repair; especially higher trim levels that are more fully equipped. CPO isn't quite the deal it once was and few STS qualify anymore. GM's corporate warranty is next best. Then come all the other plans only marketed through dealers; I've had several underwritten by Zurich and they have been great. Shop different dealers; it does not have to be the one that sold you the car.

After that, beware. There are rip-off artists and legitimate plans with little to tell the difference. Surprisingly, favor plans that list specific exclusions over those than list inclusions. In many cases, the inclusion disclosure technique leaves you with a warranty that only covers major stuff or a portion of common repairs.

In the long run, the warranty/insurance company always makes money. What yoiu are buying is freedom from the unexpected cost of a repair that might affect your lifestyle. If you can afford to put away $100 a month (and really do it) and fix most things yourself and/or use salvage parts, you can self-fund your extended warranty.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Surprisingly, favor plans that list specific exclusions over those than list inclusions. In many cases, the inclusion disclosure technique leaves you with a warranty that only covers major stuff or a portion of common repairs.
    This is certainly truth spoken here.
    I have a 3rd party service contract that has the list of "what we won't cover" and its a relatively short list when you consider all the things that can go wrong with the STS.
    The big selling point of this type of contract over the other kind is that you will get caught on less technicalities as the "we only cover this" type of contract.
    For example mine covers the MRC shocks whereas most won't.
    This is basically due to the way that GM worded the part name and description, this makes it so that it doesn't fall under the "we wont fix this" section on my contract and makes it fall out of the "we will fix this" section on other contracts.
    Basically GM can name things differently that can cause it to become covered more often in a contract that only excludes certain items, than the other way around.
    Most contracts don't cover Laser adaptive cruise, but the STS uses RADAR so it is covered.

There was a thread about this a while back:
    Extended Warranty Discussion

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

I had Warranty Direct with my '97. They were very fair with me and spent @6K (including Head Gaskets, done the "right" way at the dealership) for a contract that I paid @$1,200 for.

When the GM warranty extension became no longer available for my '05 I went to WD and was AMAZED at how expensive it became. I chose Costco this time in the hopes that their attention to customer relations would be better than most, and it was a good deal to boot! We'll see what happens as I have to use it

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    In the long run, the warranty/insurance company always makes money. What yoiu are buying is freedom from the unexpected cost of a repair that might affect your lifestyle. If you can afford to put away $100 a month (and really do it) and fix most things yourself and/or use salvage parts, you can self-fund your extended warranty.
    I could easily "self fund" but the peace of mind is more important then the money to me.

Relate27 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 1SB

This is the policy that my credit union sold me.

http://www.mercuryinsurance.com/insu...rotection.html

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by Relate27 View Post
    This is the policy that my credit union sold me.

http://www.mercuryinsurance.com/insu...rotection.html
    You'd want to dig a whole lot deeper than what's on that page....

Most extensions are rip-offs. They have a dozen ways to deny your claims. RULE #1 is,,, tell me exactly everything you DO NOT cover, not what you do!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.