Cadillac Owners Forum banner

NAV System problem

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Watsoncd 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2008 STS w/NAV system. My problem is when I turn the vehicle off the NAV system reverts to factory settings. It still works after start up but it clears all the previous information so I have to set the clock, input my personal settings, input the "home" location, set the volume level, the 3D map ......... everything….but every time I shut to car off it clears everything again. Does anyone know what is causing this??

#3 ·
The FOBs both work. #1 is programmed to me and when I open the door the seat, radio, mirrors and temp control all adjust to the correct position. It even remembers my name and displays it on start up. I used FOB# 2 and same thing, it adjusted to my girl friends settings

#4 ·
Do you remember to save all your settings?

After getting things the way you like, press the Config hard key and the press and hold the Driver 1 soft key until it beeps twice. Since it's been an issue, do it again. (Tell me twice!)

Leave & come back with her fob and repeat for her preferences (except that you're pressing and holding the Driver 2 soft key).

Leave and come back with your fob. No joy?

Although the programming is done through the radio or Nav (if so equipped) the personalization is stored in the Body Control Module (or whatever the shop manual actually calls it.) If you can program it, the trouble is probably not in the radio/nav.

#5 ·
Hello Watsoncd,
I apologize that your NAV system has been resetting itself every time you turn off your vehicle. Have you reached out to a dealership concerning this issue? I do see that you are reaching out to the community to see if they have any idea, but if you would like me to contact them on your behalf regarding this concern, I would be more than happy to. Please private message me if this is the route you would like to pursue. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#6 ·
I tried your suggestion with the FOBs and they both work just fine but I still have the same issue. I will just have to keep typing in all the info until I figure out if the problem is the radio/nav system or something else. I was thinking about just replacing the radio/nav system but I need to find out if there is any programming necessary with it is replaced. If so I will have to take it to the dealer for that.?.?

#7 ·
It takes a dealer visit with your proof of purchase to match the radio to your cars VIN. Cadillac has had Theftlock on all their cars for a while.

If you get into the car, press the config hard key & then the driver 1 or 2 softkey, the car doesn't recall the greeting on the DIC, seat settings, etc? Have you tried resetting the car by disconnecting the battery cables (neg first), touching then together and reattching? This will drain any/all power caps in all modules and force systems to reset.

The only recalebration that might be necessary will be the express windows - quick & easy
1. With the ignition on or in ACC, or while RAP is
active, close all doors.
2. Press and hold the power window switch until the
window has fully opened.
3. Continue holding the switch for approximately
two seconds.
4. Pull up the power window switch until the window is
fully closed.

You may want to give members a while to chime in with oher ideas. A new nead-end is spendy and issues like you describe have almost always ended up related to fobs or the RCLNDR matching.

#11 ·
Disconnectiong the battery was one of the first things I tried. The thing is everything else still works. The cheapest head-unit I have found is $475.00 so I will keep reading post and keep inputing the NAV system info whenever I start my car. Maybe someone give me a tip on how to fix this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.