Oil cap V6 2006 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Oil cap V6 2006 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good day forum, So, I scorched my rotors coming out the WV/PA mountains a couple of days ago...A local repair ...
    PaulBek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V6

Oil cap V6 2006 STS

Good day forum,
    So, I scorched my rotors coming out the WV/PA mountains a couple of days ago...A local repair place my brother in law frequents here in Richmond. VA is doing the work. Sucks to be away from Home when things go wrong.

While checking oil a fuel stop ago, I found the motor to be a little low (1/2 qt maybe)...tried to take the oil cap off and the damn thing just spins and spins. It will NOT come off. Should I stick A screwdriver and try to pry it off? I don't want to damage the thing, but a wrecked motor would be worse if oil is needed.

Any ideas?

We are here til the weekend and then go back home to Motor City this weekend.

Thanks for any advice, in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Re: Oil cap V6 2006 STS

You can add some oil thru the dipstick tube with a small funnel until you get home and can deal with the fill cap.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

"Scorched the rotors ???"

Just how hot does a rotor have to get before it "scorches" ??? (My STS, with EBC slotted rotors and Redstuff pads, will turn the front rotors red hot during a forced slowdown from 140 - and no problems.)

Before you answer, Google "red hot brake rotor video".

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Rotors are cast iron. How do you "scorch" cast iron?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Glaze the pads... that I'd believe.

Bought this car used - previous owner (or owners) never did any maintenance the best or right way. I scorched the brakes/rotors coming down i68 with morons in front of me that i couldnt pass. almost 10 miles of braking going downhill. i was using gears to slow me down -but two morons in front of me in a corolla and a semi literally had their wheels smoking/on fire. I had no choice but to brake hard for long distances to avoid rear ending them -

The brake pads were cheap pieces of crap - the left rotor was horribly grooved and making a horrible out of round groaning noise at all speeds, and, while the car was stationary made a horrible clicking noise for the left front wheel.

And my car isn't a V - it's a V6 car with stock stuff, originally intended for Hertz Rent a car duty. I wish I could have afforded the V, but alas, not in the cards.

The post was about the oil cap - is there a way they accidentally cross threaded the damn thing? I can't get it off - has anyone ever encountered?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Sorry, that sounds like nonsense to me. If second isn't low enough, there's always first. They couldn't have been going that slow.

While your DPO may have twisted the oil cap past the stops, it just pulls off when the tabs are lined up. How much muscle have you really put to the task?

You are probably right - I was just guessing, but couldn't drive the car back home making all of the noises that it was. Taken advantage of again it appears, I am.

To the oil cap - I learned the place I took the car for the first oil change under my ownership somehow managed to cross thread the oil cap. If someone ever runs into this - I got a $1 plastic putty knife and as I turned the cap gently pried it back into its slot- once I did that I was able to get it off safely, and put it back on. Need to do my own oil changes from now on -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yet another Oil Doodle horror story. Glad you got it twisted off - I was headed for a "Drill it sideways and stick a piece of coathanger in to lock the parts together".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.