What signs do i need to be on the look out for when it comes to my GM 3.6 engine oil?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, What signs do i need to be on the look out for when it comes to my GM 3.6 engine oil? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What are all the important signs i need to be aware of for the GM 3.6 engine oil in my ...
    viccampjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS

What signs do i need to be on the look out for when it comes to my GM 3.6 engine oil?

What are all the important signs i need to be aware of for the GM 3.6 engine oil in my 2007 STS?

I just bought a 2007 STS all wheel drive with 58,000 miles on it and was wondering if i might incounter any oil problems with this year cadillac.

Are there any 2007 STS owners that never had any oil problems with their GM 3.6 ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

Re: What signs do i need to be on the look out for when it comes to my GM 3.6 engine

Just check it regularly, get a good handle on how much it goes through, if any. You may never have an issue at all, but just be aware that the 3.6 is known for using oil causing premature timing chain wear.

Do some reading over in the 1st Gen CTS forum, TONS of information over there regarding this issue. Also, you could try reaching out to a member on here from FL, SC2150. He works with a company that has done significant work on the 3.6L LY7 engine and I'm sure he could give you a better idea as to what to expect and measures you can take to prevent it.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Least with an 07 he has extended timing chain warranty. Else I would run from a 3.6 and its oil consumption timing chain (that apparently doesn't exist per GM) problems.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

Re: What signs do i need to be on the look out for when it comes to my GM 3.6 engine

Yes, good reminder 1Bad...

Your timing chain is covered for, IIRC, 10 years or 120k, under an extended coverage adjustment that was made by GM.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.