2008 STS brakes pulsating (?)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 STS brakes pulsating (?) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So it started about a month ago. A slight "pulsating" in the front during braking. Now it's every time I ...
    Grunder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 3.6DI AWD

2008 STS brakes pulsating (?)

So it started about a month ago. A slight "pulsating" in the front during braking. Now it's every time I try to stop, and a lot harsher. It's not the ABS, it's no where near as fast as that. It doesn't feel like a warped rotor, because it's not 'quite' the same each time you decelerate, and it's straight ahead pulsating, no side-to-side whatsoever. It seems to be the front only.

I haven't looked at the pads, or anything else yet. 69,000 miles, 20,000 of which are mine. I have no other history on the vehicle. The brakes are JE5.

Opinions, please...

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No such thing as "warped" rotors. Excessive runout is caused by uneven wear.

The problem may be pad material buildup on the rotors. Try braking hard from highway speeds to ~10/20 MPH or so. Repeat several times in a row, then drive a few miles to allow the brakes to cool.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Re: 2008 STS brakes pulsating (?)

Grunder, Sound like it's time for new brakes & rotors. Danny

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

I still vote rotors. But it wouldn't hurt to check the brake fluid since you have an issue with braking. Not that I think that's the issue.
    What do you mean no such thing as warped rotors? Are you saying that terminology is flawed?? It seems pretty widely accepted that rotors eventually can become "warped."

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Might you have thin 'hairline' vertical cracks in the rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio
    What do you mean no such thing as warped rotors? Are you saying that terminology is flawed?? It seems pretty widely accepted that rotors eventually can become "warped."
    "Warped" rotors, as in their shape has changed/they're bent, is flawed terminology. Rotors are made of cast iron, they don't warp. Ask a brake manufacturer. Thickness variation due to wear, is what is usually referred to as "warped".

ok i got what you're saying.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Use the term you like. It's your rotors: residue build up, surface imperfections caused by quick temperature change, over-torqued lugs or other imperfecdtions, or uneven wear.

The reason most shops recommend new pads & new rotors is because it leads to higher customer satisfaction. Many people will accept the higher cost but most will be very dissatisified if a return visit is necessary.

Still worth a few FREE hard brake applications, it may very well remove any pad residue.
    C&C and Guy.Seminerio like this.

hahaha that post gave me a good laugh. ohhh just noticed.. Boston. I'm originally from NY so I was pretty butt hurt over the Bruins Rangers series. So I was rooting for the Blackhawks for the Cup. Hockey fan here.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Still worth a few FREE hard brake applications, it may very well remove any pad residue.
    No argument hre. Too many STS owners think these cars are fragile. Drive it like you stole it.

Grunder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 3.6DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Well, that didn't work. Tried four hard stops from 60 down to rolling, let them cool, and the same thing. Tried to see the pad thickness w/o taking off the wheel - no dice. I'll pull the front wheels this week to do a better inspection.
    The rotors "look", from what I can see through the wheel, to be in fine shape - no visible cracks, smooth wear area, no "grooving", etc. Got to be the pads, he says.
    Thanks for all the opinions, that's what I wanted.

John

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Study time ..................

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

And get into the EBC Brakes site, U.S. Automotive, and read the slew of links on brakes and rotor problems. EBC is pretty informative and doesn't resort to a lot of "ours is better" advertising in their info pages.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Use the term you like. It's your rotors: residue build up, surface imperfections caused by quick temperature change, over-torqued lugs or other imperfecdtions, or uneven wear.

The reason most shops recommend new pads & new rotors is because it leads to higher customer satisfaction. Many people will accept the higher cost but most will be very dissatisified if a return visit is necessary.
    that and the fact that rotors can be bought cheaply

Many manufacturers( the german ones) dont recommend turning rotors

Warren

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

This is a cut n paste from a website called Powerstop. They sell rotors and brake pads. I don't endorse the company, I just happen to be looking up some info when I cam across this post. This info was from their "Frequently Asked Questions" section. I thought it was worth posting.

What causes rotor warping (a.k.a. pulsating brakes)?The term “warped rotors” is commonly used to describe brake pulsation, but the rotor is not actually warping at high temperature so the term “warped rotors” is not accurate. The primary cause of brake pulsation is from uneven friction deposits on the rotor. As the brakes get hot, friction material from the pad is deposited as a very thin layer on the rotor. If you come to a hot stop and clamp your brakes down, the pad continues to deposit material on one spot. As you continue to use the brakes, this high spot on the rotor will get hotter than other parts of the rotor. When the temperature starts to exceed 1150 F, the crystal lattice structure of the iron can change into a very hard, brittle material called cementite. Your brakes can hit 1100 F or higher coming off a highway ramp with severe deceleration. Hard spots start to form, and it doesn’t wear down like the rest of the rotor. The hot spot nodules will not dissipate heat as well as the neighboring material, so it gets hotter than the rest of the rotor and causes the spot to grow. The result is a permanent high spot that you feel as pulsating brakes. You can try to turn down the rotor, but chances are the nodule is bigger than the cut depth on the lathe. So it is just a matter of time before the pulsation will come back. However, you can prevent brake pulsation two ways: 1) use a high quality, properly drilled rotor to keep the temperature low, and 2) don't clamp down on your brakes after a hot stop!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.