Cadillac Owners Forum banner

difference between STS4 1sg and Platinum Edition STS?

16K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  denischarbonneau5 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the difference between a 2007 STS4 1sG and a Platinum Edition sts? does the Platinum Edition come with more features or something?

#33 ·
If I recall the holdups for ddalder and the auto leveling system are lack of correct wiring and possibly the leveling motors for the lights. I think he wants a full set of export headlights.
When I bought a damaged hid housing from a domestic 05 model it seemed that it would be simple to pop off the vertical adjuster and pop in a new adjuster that had a motor in it.

#37 ·
I don't think that you _have_ to ... I think it's more that ddalder is thinking if you are going to spend the time and money on retrofitting the auto leveling motors into headlight housings you might as well do it to new ones so that you have flawless housings again.

I think all that is really needed is the motors themselves and the appropriate wiring and then have the feature enabled in the car's programming.
If you are thinking of doing so Guy I *think* that since the V doesn't have MRC it doesn't have the needed suspension level sensors built in so you would have to get the other sensor method to allow it to work with yours.
There are notes for the 24 pin wire harness about (without K59) and (without F55) and (TT7/TT8 with K59) and the leveling option seems to be TR7 option code.

#39 · (Edited)
All 2005+ STS's have auto leveling in the back. The difference it that it doesn't respond with any degree of speed. This is used to adjust for variable weight in the back. There are delays built into the system to prevent the compressor from turning on/off every second or two. The leveling system for the headlights is designed to respond almost instantaneously.

I'm not certain as to how easy it is to add the headlamp leveling motors and associated parts to the headlamps. I know that since GM doesn't sell these parts separately from the headlamps, I need to purchase the entire headlamp assemblies. I'm not interested in used parts for something like this. I did see a (used) pair for sale in Europe a while back, but they were still going to cost me $1,200 CAN.

For vehicles with the export headlamp leveling (RPO: TR7) but without the F55 option, GM installs a sensor on the left front and rear suspension. These connect directly to the headlamp leveling module which mounts on the side of the right headlamp assembly.

#43 · (Edited)
ddalder said:
Thanks for ruining my day lol.
...you're welcome, Darcy ...;) :D (sorry...:) )

...btw...
All 2005+ STS's have auto leveling in the back.
...hmm...AFAIK...the FE1 cars don't have an electr. auto leveling system in the back...there is also no level control compressor and control module, no suspension level sensors..and the shocks are also completely different to the FE3/F55...

...but for sure:

...all V6 2005 - 2007 MAE export STS got FE1, no electr. auto leveling, no compressor, but as export all got Xenon/HIDs, washers and TR7...there is also no "MODULE, ELEK SUSP CONT", old Part-#25735852, replaced by #15816809 in the trunk/passenger side...

...all V8 2005 - 2007 MAE export STS got FE3/F55 and the auto leveling incl. compressor, susp. control module, shocks/struts...and also the HIDs and TR7...including the same HID/headlamps/part-# and parts the export MAE V6 used---> the little headlamp leveling motors (Denso #25726383) and headlamp leveling module (GM #15223019, made by Denso...GM retail price around 417 US-$)

EDIT:...ok...never mind...just forget about the "self-leveling" nivomat shocks used in FE1 cars...but I don't or won't call this an "auto leveling" system...;)

I'm not interested in used parts for something like this. I did see a (used) pair for sale in Europe a while back, but they were still going to cost me $1,200 CAN.
...I know you don't like used...but as a side note...on ebay.de (Germany) there is a used pair Denso #25726383 headlamp leveling motors for around 50 euro each (but who knows what other parts are needed...;) ) and a headlamp leveling control module GM#15223019 for around 150 euro available...

EDIT:
...ah...I just saw you got a headlamp leveling module...

#42 ·
yes...and those that angle in the direction you are turning as well...along with HID hi-beams

reading this thread

some of you guys know that these options were available on many other cars right?

along with lane departure...automatic brake assist...etc..etc

Warren

#44 ·
The exports got the headlight angling around corners like the 08+ CTS??
Infiniti came out with a lot of the safety awareness stuff like lane departure etc. I think cadillac has been reluctant to get into the active safety features (lane keeping assist vs LDW) although they did start on the adaptive cruise relatively early on.

Nowadays all these features are available on 25 thousand dollar cars as options. And I'm not suggesting features is what makes a cadillac by any means, but if its optional on a Honda it needs to be standard on a caddy. For example, why are HIDs still optional? They should be standard with optional LEDs if anything.

#48 ·
you are just pointing out the resale value...

Your statement is accurate

Though...if you look at it from the other side of the coin

if you bought one of these new( or very early) in its life it would have to be about the worst value among its competitors

Warren

----------

No the sts only level up and down no left/right adjust via turning.
I had a cts with it. They sucked. The light output is no where near the sts lamp output especially with intelibeam.
when I was testing driving cars years ago

As I recall the Infiniti M35 had the lights that turned with the car and I thought it was a very neat safety feature. I think it also had HID high beams..unlike the STS

did they ever put HID Hi beams on the STS's?

Warren

#49 ·
Negative. Most cars I've ever seen do not have dual beam hids as they would surely take a beating with flash to pass.

The xlr and dts has a single beam and to activate high beams the Hid light has a switch. When you activate high beams the low beam bulb adjusts its angle and projects higher thus high beams without the flicker.

#51 ·
This is just a movement of a cutoff shield. The lamp and projector do not move at all.
There is a solenoid that is used to pulldown a shield on the bottom of the projector to expose more of the HID lamp thereby creating the high beam effect.
Low beam only HIDs only use about 50% of the light from the lamp, the other 50% is blocked off by the same shield but in these lights the shield doesn't move.

#55 ·
Here is an example of a bixenon D1S projector from Valeo ... likely the same projector that is in the XLR/DTS

You can see in red on the left there is a soleniod that moves the large flap towards the camera / projector lens and exposes more of the lamp output.

Here is an example of just the shield removed from the housing ... this particular person is modding the shield to create a flat cutoff instead of the stepped cutoff that we know so well.

#58 ·
you are talking styling vs functional features

two very different things

I have driven a car with bi-xenon and an active headlight system

believe me..both make a difference when driving down a dark road

I think both are features that were picked on the new XTS

Warren

#60 ·
I completely agree that having a bixenon HID setup is really beneficial at night.
I have done headlight projector retrofits in 3 cars in the last few years changing them from halogen high and low to using a single bixenon HID projector that made a world of difference.

The SRX also did dual projector headlights.

I think cost and style were the reasons here.

#61 ·
I got a V8 320HP (VVT 4.6) not the v-series (400HP) Platinum Edition. 2008

I am about 18000 miles.

The leather is the best I have ever seen in any Cadillac so far... (Even better than my XTS-V Platinum 2014)

Real Toscany leather skins.

The wood is pretty impressive also, looks nicer than what I do have in the XTS because of the wood grain. Especially the dash plate mounted just over the passenger side glove box compartment.

Got some wood on the top portion of the steering wheel.

I definitely LOVE the interior.

The XTS is more modern, the finition is great, especially the detailing of the two kinds of wood above the doors armrests.
But the leather is NOT the same quality. (But better than DTS except for the DTS Platinum with the Tehama Leather Package)

I got the tan interior (maybe they name it Cashmere, I don't remember)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.