difference between STS4 1sg and Platinum Edition STS? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, difference between STS4 1sg and Platinum Edition STS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yeah my roommate's cts has it and the lights seem kind of dull. I figured it was because the bulbs ...
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: difference between STS4 1sg and Platinum Edition STS?

Yeah my roommate's cts has it and the lights seem kind of dull. I figured it was because the bulbs are 5 years old. It's an 08.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

These cars are still an amazing value. I just saw a spotless white N* at $16K. I only paid $5k more almost 5 years ago with like miles now! Go price an equally featured car; find one?

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    These cars are still an amazing value. I just saw a spotless white N* at $16K. I only paid $5k more almost 5 years ago with like miles now! Go price an equally featured car; find one?
    you are just pointing out the resale value...

Your statement is accurate

Though...if you look at it from the other side of the coin

if you bought one of these new( or very early) in its life it would have to be about the worst value among its competitors

Warren

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    No the sts only level up and down no left/right adjust via turning.
    I had a cts with it. They sucked. The light output is no where near the sts lamp output especially with intelibeam.
    when I was testing driving cars years ago

As I recall the Infiniti M35 had the lights that turned with the car and I thought it was a very neat safety feature. I think it also had HID high beams..unlike the STS

did they ever put HID Hi beams on the STS's?

Warren

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Negative. Most cars I've ever seen do not have dual beam hids as they would surely take a beating with flash to pass.

The xlr and dts has a single beam and to activate high beams the Hid light has a switch. When you activate high beams the low beam bulb adjusts its angle and projects higher thus high beams without the flicker.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Negative. Most cars I've ever seen do not have dual beam hids as they would surely take a beating with flash to pass.

The xlr and dts has a single beam and to activate high beams the Hid light has a switch. When you activate high beams the low beam bulb adjusts its angle and projects higher thus high beams without the flicker.
    Well, this is also true of the Buick Enclave. Although, it sounds to me like there is a shutter assembly that is raised when the high beams are activated. I've never dug into one of these headlamps so I can't say for sure, but that's sure what it seems like.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    This is just a movement of a cutoff shield. The lamp and projector do not move at all.
    There is a solenoid that is used to pulldown a shield on the bottom of the projector to expose more of the HID lamp thereby creating the high beam effect.
    Low beam only HIDs only use about 50% of the light from the lamp, the other 50% is blocked off by the same shield but in these lights the shield doesn't move.

ok...how do the other manufacturers do it?

Hi beam HID's have been around for years
    it looks to me when the light are on hi beam and they are not HID( while the low beams are)...the yellower vs whiter light looks odd

Warren

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    ok...how do the other manufacturers do it?

Hi beam HID's have been around for years
    it looks to me when the light are on hi beam and they are not HID( while the low beams are)...the yellower vs whiter light looks odd

Warren
    Please show me a car that has HIDs for high beam that isn't using a bi-xeon projector. I bet you won't find any. HID lamps take too long to reach a usable intensity to be used as high beams on their own. HID lamps and ballasts also don't last long in the rapid on and off that high beams get.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I have an xlr lamp I can't give away. I plan on taking it apart to see exactly how it works before I pitch it.

Here is an example of a bixenon D1S projector from Valeo ... likely the same projector that is in the XLR/DTS

You can see in red on the left there is a soleniod that moves the large flap towards the camera / projector lens and exposes more of the lamp output.

Here is an example of just the shield removed from the housing ... this particular person is modding the shield to create a flat cutoff instead of the stepped cutoff that we know so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Please show me a car that has HIDs for high beam that isn't using a bi-xeon projector. I bet you won't find any. HID lamps take too long to reach a usable intensity to be used as high beams on their own. HID lamps and ballasts also don't last long in the rapid on and off that high beams get.
    thats my point...why didnt they use Bi-Xenon projectors on the STS?

I think every other car I can think of had them other than the STS( that was equipped with HID)

Warren

Why didn't those other cars stack dual projectors? Why does the cadillac have vertical taillamps? Other cars I know don't have those. I have a feeling we might be thinking too deeply into this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Why didn't those other cars stack dual projectors? Why does the cadillac have vertical taillamps? Other cars I know don't have those. I have a feeling we might be thinking too deeply into this one.
    you are talking styling vs functional features

two very different things

I have driven a car with bi-xenon and an active headlight system

believe me..both make a difference when driving down a dark road

I think both are features that were picked on the new XTS

Warren

I guess so. I do alright with the halogen high beams. Maybe their desire to put in two projectors drove them to the halogen high beams is what I'm getting at.

I completely agree that having a bixenon HID setup is really beneficial at night.
    I have done headlight projector retrofits in 3 cars in the last few years changing them from halogen high and low to using a single bixenon HID projector that made a world of difference.

The SRX also did dual projector headlights.

I think cost and style were the reasons here.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.