Cadillac Owners Forum banner

difference between STS4 1sg and Platinum Edition STS?

16K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  denischarbonneau5 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the difference between a 2007 STS4 1sG and a Platinum Edition sts? does the Platinum Edition come with more features or something?

#2 ·
Platinum edition has an upgraded, leather wrapped interior. Much like the STS-V. And I'm talking everywhere. The insides of the door pockets on each door are lined in leather. Very nice interior. Doesn't have the soft padding under it like the cts does, but the leather itself is a much higher quality, and is in a lot of places where the CTS goes with plastic. Also, on the regular STS platinum, the wood is upgraded. Attached pics are of my V.

Attachments

#3 ·
In the pic of the steering wheel if you look above the wheel on the top of the dash you'll see some stitching. Other than that the pics are self explanitory.

----------

Option-wise, I don't know if going with platinum automatically meant you were fully loaded. In other words I'm not sure if "platinum" was a standalone option. I also believe the leather on the seats is upgraded.

----------

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/106...-sts-xlr-and-dts-platinum-editions/index.html

Also on this wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_STS-V of the STS-V, the "appearance" section, last part says
"For the interior, the STS-V also has upgraded leather and suede trim contracted from the German company Dräxlmaier, whose prior credit includes the Maybach 57/62. Interior color choices were Ebony and Gray, both of which are offered on the standard STS as well, and a two-tone Ebony/Tango Red scheme which was unique to the STS-V."

I'm sure the same goes for the non V interiors. This is probably why I was just quoted $2600+ for a replacement dash +$550 labor.

Long story short, got tints, they spilled water on the dash, dried out the natural oils, 3 hours of sunshine later, permanent damage to the leather. Currently seeking legal advice, but LUCKILY i have dated video of my dash in perfect condition the DAY PRIOR, because the owner of the tint shop is refusing to cough up the 3k+. Doesn't want to make an insurance claim. Well I haven't revealed to the owner that I have this video. Awaiting further legal advice and am absolutely ready and willing to sue.

#5 ·
Wish I had that leather trim in my car! One of the few things I don't like about this car is the material used for the dash, console, and doors...Can't stand that plastic crap nor the "soft" padded rubber-type material on the doors and dash. If there's one thing I can knock Cadillac for on this car it's the quality of materials used in the interior...Very sub par for its original sticker price.

#10 ·
Salvage yard?? Wow. I'm surprised there are so many of these cars there especially a platinum. Yep forgot about the suede. Well if you're interested in completing the look, when I get my new dash ill be looking at getting rid of my dash, obviously discounted due to the damage. Definitely would still be an upgrade though. If you're interested I'll send you pics of the damaged dash.

#11 ·
However, also like the V, the Platinum is not available with ACC. I won't willingly buy another modern car without it. (Naturally, classics are excepted.)

I'm not sure, but I think that also means no HUD since those options were linked until the 2nd generation STS.

#12 ·
EChas3 said:
I won't willingly buy another modern car without it. (Naturally, classics are excepted.)
100% agreed, can't imagine having to actually adjust the cruise manually again...You realize how awesome it is when you drive a car that doesn't have it..."What? I have do this myself?"

#20 ·
Just like turning On the Wipers/Headlights-HighBeams ;)

I back up my Pick-Up with impunity now. In the back of my mind I know I'm thinking I'll hear the Parking Assist if I'm actually too close to anything (something my F350 doesn't have,,,. This is going to bite-me in the A$$ one day..,)

I drive my other cars and scan the windshield in front of my thinking "How fast am I going?" :D

#13 ·
First world problems. Ah what is this metal thing I have to stick in my car to start it? I have to press a button on this remote to get into my car?!? Ah jeez there's a car in front of me and I have to press my foot down 3 inches to slow my car down. How many speakers?? 14?? Nah 15 or better for me. My ear deserves the finest sounds. Why aren't there speakers in your seats?? Etc etc. believe me I'm just as spoiled as you guys.

#14 ·
It is so easy to get used to these conveniences but they also offer other values:

1. Chrysler was paid to conduct an ACC study that concluded that when 20% of cars in moderate to heavy traffic used ACC, delays were reduced by 80%.
2. Keyless/proximity entry like in the STS is demonstrably safer in that the car locks itself every time the driver exits and opens upon need.
3. Likewise with keyless start. A driver can leave the scene in far less time.
4. Onstar and other generally available features provide levels of safety and security far above cars of previous generations.

Sure, I'm pampering myself. But I'm also comforted that my wife isn't as likely to feel the stress of getting lost or can find her way easily. If I had kids, would it be worth $20 a month to have the car call for help if/when they hit a telephone pole? You betcha!

I love these cars and am looking forward to the next generation.

#15 ·
Guy.Seminerio said:
Salvage yard?? Wow. I'm surprised there are so many of these cars there especially a platinum. Yep forgot about the suede. Well if you're interested in completing the look, when I get my new dash ill be looking at getting rid of my dash, obviously discounted due to the damage. Definitely would still be an upgrade though. If you're interested I'll send you pics of the damaged dash.
Yea I'm interested. Let me know how much. I have the v console and door panels.

----------

EChas3 said:
However, also like the V, the Platinum is not available with ACC. I won't willingly buy another modern car without it. (Naturally, classics are excepted.)

I'm not sure, but I think that also means no HUD since those options were linked until the 2nd generation STS.
08+ can get platnium with acc

#16 ·
I'm disappointed that the Platinum STS was only available in Cashmere. Of all the colours I don't like, this one pretty much tops my list. In regards to the 'V', it doesn't have ACC, but ventilated seats were never available either. Not sure about pre-2008, but I'm quite certain that HUD was available without ACC. You couldn't get ACC without it, but you could get HUD without ACC (HUD is part of the driver awareness package which of course also included lane departure warning and side blind zone alert).

#17 ·
You've pegged it DD. To get HUD w/o ACC in an early STS it must be a V. Later on, it was available on V6 models with the driver awareness package. Only 1SF & 1SG (i.e. V8-equipped STS) ever got ACC.

----------

I agree on Cashmere. Not my cup of tea.

#23 ·
Only 1SF & 1SG (i.e. V8-equipped STS) ever got ACC.
I agree on Cashmere. Not my cup of tea.

...to be a smartass...european export STS don't have/never got a "1SG" or "1SF"...;) ...but ACC/HUD was still available on export STS V8...

I'm disappointed that the Platinum STS was only available in Cashmere.
...black leather/interior (19I, 193, IL3) was available on 2007 Platinum STS...;)

#18 ·
Wow echase3 interesting stuff. What do you mean you have the console. My understanding is that pretty much most of the dash is one piece. Lets skip the song and dance I want to get as much as I can but I have a lot of love for my fellow caddyforums members especially 1 bad cad, such a frequent anzd helpful name. So lets get a good offer and more than likely I'm good. Unless its ridiculous. Again ill show the pics of course.

#25 · (Edited)
...yes...:)
...e.g. "1SK"- "Option Package #10" for the MAE ("Marketing Area Europe") exports...all the MAE cars (V6 and V8 ) got also the "V08"- heavy duty cooling, they all got HIDs and headlamp washer, the MAE V6 all got JE5/JE2 performance brakes/lining, the MAE V8 all got the Brembo J56 brakes...etc., ...and other neat options and things...

...or a "1SJ" for option package 9...whatever this might be...

...on the other hand...there are also some options the "domestic" cars got/could have...that never been available on exports...;)

#28 ·
I hear that regulations in Europe say that if you have HIDs the lights have to be adaptive. Not in the sense that you turn the wheel and the lights follow, but instead, under acceleration the beams adjust downward to offset squat of the rear suspension. And under braking they aim up. My buddy's 07 BMW X5 does this. If this is true when did this go into effect, and did it end up affecting the export STS? I know headlamp washers are mandatory with HIDs. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.