My Older Dog Doesn't like My Tires, Or is it the Car?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By curtc
  • 1 Post By carter's_sts
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, My Older Dog Doesn't like My Tires, Or is it the Car? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need a recomendation on the smoothest(Ride) Quietest Tires anyone has experience with for this car. I hope "Jeepers" will ...
    pkared is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4

My Older Dog Doesn't like My Tires, Or is it the Car?

I need a recomendation on the smoothest(Ride) Quietest Tires anyone has experience with for this car. I hope "Jeepers" will approve.

Have a new(To Me) 07 STS4 Loaded Lux, Nav, etc 53,000mi which replaced my 2003 Deville with 193,000 miles. Hope to get a 100,000 add'l out of this one. The STS Has Sumitomo 235/50/A17 frt and back with at least 3/16" tread left. Older Dog cannot stand a 5 hour car ride in this car, I used to put him in the back seat of the deville and go non-stop to the cottage with him sleeping in the back seat for 5 hours. Now He gets so frantic I have to stop 6 times on the trip trying to give water, ice cream, john stop, whatever will work to calm him down. The Tires have a drone to them, maybe a slight vibration. As a comparison to my deville with average Michellins, it's like driving on round stones.

I sure would like to fix this rather than giving the car to the Mrs., Driving a Saturn Vue to get an improved ride over a Cadillac will just be TOO humiliating.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 129k

Re: My Older Dog Doesn't like My Tires, Or is it the Car?

Members here, and I can attest as well, have had great experiences with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires...Overwhelmingly road noise and ride quality are the biggest reported improvements.

My STS came with them when I bought it and they will be replaced with the same...I also bought them for my CTS when I owned that and loved them.
    mckellyb likes this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Good luck with your OCD. I've seen Cnti DWS and Falken ZIEX ZE-912 235/50R17 96W

mentioned in posts as the Quiet ones. Not familiar with Falken, they aren't rated on Amazon, supposed to be recommended by Consumer reports, havn't verified. Conti extreme contact DWS from Belle Tire $133 in my area. I'll wait for a couple of more posts but these sound like the solution. I have a Totally Fused Back with Titanium Rods running up my spine with Lag screws(Looks like) into bone at each level and porous plastic spacers in between(Supposed to be filled in by now) so my personal suspension system is caput. Between my back and the 98 human year old dog's bones we are definitely in need of some Help from the tires/suspension.

----------

Where are you entering the "Past Cadillacs" info so it shows up at the bottom of your post?

Those Falken's are junk, had them on my 01 Seville, hated them...

That is a signature line...You get that feature when you become a supporting member I think. Don't remember having it beforehand.
    Past Cadillac's

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

For better ride in an AWD consider lowering tire pressures to those recommended on the label affixed to the driver's door frame. I run my back DWS' a couple pounds lower than the fronts.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Never let your wife drive your Cadillac and never let your dog in your Cadillac.
    scott9001 likes this.

1crock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4

I'm currently running Goodyear Assurance Comforts. They are very quiet and give a nice ride. I went with 235/55-18 for a wee bit more sidewall. It didn't hurt handling and probably helped the ride a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    Never let your wife drive your Cadillac and never let your dog in your Cadillac.
    The GF drives her once in a great while, not very often...but a dog??? NEVER!!
    Past Cadillac's

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Members here, and I can attest as well, have had great experiences with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires...Overwhelmingly road noise and ride quality are the biggest reported improvements.

My STS came with them when I bought it and they will be replaced with the same...I also bought them for my CTS when I owned that and loved them.
    I'm in the exact same boat. PO had them on the car when I bought it, and they are so good, I got a second set after wearing them out.

They last remarkably well for the grip, too. Oh, and even into the wear bars, no hydroplaning at 55-65 MPH on the freeway in moderate rain. This shocked me.

Dogs can have "OCD" Too. In fact it's a requirement for adoption.

I first cover the rear seat with two of those really soft inexpensive car blankets and tuck it in. Then I use the more expensive Seat Cover for dogs "A sling from frt headrest to rear, essentially" from Duluth trading.(Washable and has zippers to allow access to seat belt receptacles) Then, I buckle them in(The other is a very small Boston Terrier, Jeepers is less than 40Lbs himself despite Shepard and Rottweiler parentage) using Leashes that are no longer made that have the Car-seat buckle about halfway on the leash(Keeps then from ending up on your lap when distressed and from jumping out and running away from you when you open a door)

MikesCaddy06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS4

I highly recommend the...Bridgestone Turanza serenity plus tires. They received better ratings than the continentals. I also have the AWD and this car drives like a dream!! Tire rack.com is where u need to be!!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I think the Goodyears are a better match for the previous generation STS (prior 2005). My wife had them on hers.

Only the AWD 2005 & up benefit from the more compliant tires. I'd recommend more sport-oriented tires for the RWD's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.