2006 STS timing chain issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 STS timing chain issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey everyone, I graduated college just a few months ago and immediately got my first job (yay) so I went ...
    packsfan430 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

2006 STS timing chain issue

Hey everyone,

I graduated college just a few months ago and immediately got my first job (yay) so I went out looking for my first big boy car. I browsed dealers and classifieds and my eyes caught an 06 cadillac STS. The car was immaculate...flawless inside and out. I took it to my mechanic and upon further review everything came out just fine. I went ahead and purchased the vehicle with just under 75k miles. I was, and still am, absolutely in love with this car. I went so far as to convince my brother-in-law to lease his next car from GM because I wanted to start my loyalty to them from this car on-wards. Now comes the sad part...after a few months, the check engine light went on and I took it into my local cadillac dealer to get it checked out. $150 fee later, I was told the timing chain needed to be replaced. At first, I thought everything in cars were belts and rubber...never had I heard of a chain (not a car guy by any means.) They also told me it would cost a solid $2500 to fix!!! After picking my jaw up off the floor, I decided to call GM while my car was in the shop and ask if there was anything they could do. The warranty on the vehicle had expired less than a year ago from the original owner and I was hoping they could somehow extend that or at least help me out somehow. I left the car at that dealer for about 3 days while I waited for GM to call me back. Once they did, I did not even know if I was talking to GM...I kept getting transferred between lines...and not to discredit any of their employees on how much they know, but I kept getting connected to individuals with very poor english and it was a very hard time understanding them most of the time. After the 3 days they finally called me and told me there was absolutely nothing they can do. I told them I had googled this issue and ALOTTTT of users with cadillacs 2005 and up with a 3.6liter engine were reporting timing chain issues on so many cadillac forums...and the individual's response was "we are not aware of any issues regarding this vehicle and timing chains at this time...sorry." I was blown away...how can they disregard this? I have spent the past 3 weeks looking through forums where so many owners have had this issue and have reported it to GM....I convinced a family member to lease their current vehicle from GM...now I am not so sure that was a good idea at all from the way I was treated. Being a young member of society and striving to maximize my earning potential, I am sure this will not be the last car I own...and based on this experience, it may be the last GM.

Aside from all of this nonsense, are there any suggestions/recommendations from STS owners who have endured this issue before? Does anyone know how long the chain lasts after it has been diagnosed with the need for replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated since Cadillac provided me with absolutely ZERO support. Thanks a lot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

targetSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
    As what i do at your place:
    1. Buy timing chain kit. Just parts would cost about 500$
    2. Find a good repair shop which can make it for a reasonable price. It should be much less than 2000$. Nothing too hard and about 2 days to make.

Re: 2006 STS timing chain issue

Really? and are the chains brand or type-specific??

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There are specific chains for each engine, if that's what you're asking.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Have the dealer check the VIN for a special warranty on the timing chains. I have a 2008 and I have a 10 year 120K mile warranty on the chains.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    07-08 only. 05-06 didn't get $hit
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

They were mostly out of warranty when GM issued the extended coverage for the 3.6 timing chains so those owners got screwed even though they have the same motor (2007s)....
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by packsfan430 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I graduated college just a few months ago and immediately got my first job (yay) so I went out looking for my first big boy car. I browsed dealers and classifieds and my eyes caught an 06 cadillac STS. The car was immaculate...flawless inside and out. I took it to my mechanic and upon further review everything came out just fine. I went ahead and purchased the vehicle with just under 75k miles. I was, and still am, absolutely in love with this car. I went so far as to convince my brother-in-law to lease his next car from GM because I wanted to start my loyalty to them from this car on-wards. Now comes the sad part...after a few months, the check engine light went on and I took it into my local cadillac dealer to get it checked out. $150 fee later, I was told the timing chain needed to be replaced. At first, I thought everything in cars were belts and rubber...never had I heard of a chain (not a car guy by any means.) They also told me it would cost a solid $2500 to fix!!! After picking my jaw up off the floor, I decided to call GM while my car was in the shop and ask if there was anything they could do. The warranty on the vehicle had expired less than a year ago from the original owner and I was hoping they could somehow extend that or at least help me out somehow. I left the car at that dealer for about 3 days while I waited for GM to call me back. Once they did, I did not even know if I was talking to GM...I kept getting transferred between lines...and not to discredit any of their employees on how much they know, but I kept getting connected to individuals with very poor english and it was a very hard time understanding them most of the time. After the 3 days they finally called me and told me there was absolutely nothing they can do. I told them I had googled this issue and ALOTTTT of users with cadillacs 2005 and up with a 3.6liter engine were reporting timing chain issues on so many cadillac forums...and the individual's response was "we are not aware of any issues regarding this vehicle and timing chains at this time...sorry." I was blown away...how can they disregard this? I have spent the past 3 weeks looking through forums where so many owners have had this issue and have reported it to GM....I convinced a family member to lease their current vehicle from GM...now I am not so sure that was a good idea at all from the way I was treated. Being a young member of society and striving to maximize my earning potential, I am sure this will not be the last car I own...and based on this experience, it may be the last GM.

Aside from all of this nonsense, are there any suggestions/recommendations from STS owners who have endured this issue before? Does anyone know how long the chain lasts after it has been diagnosed with the need for replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated since Cadillac provided me with absolutely ZERO support. Thanks a lot!

Hello packsfan430,

Congrats on graduating college and welcome to the forum! I apologize for the timing chain issue you are experiencing with your STS. We are here to offer our assistance the best we can. If you private message me with your VIN and current mileage, I can check information associated with your vehicle.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Guys, I have just responded to Laura...I'll keep you updated as to what they do in regards to my issue. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k
    I'll ignore the fact that you're a Packer fan since you're a fellow Caddy owner

Good luck with your timing chain adventure!
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Haha we offered a peace treaty in Jennings and Bishop!!!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Lotsa luck. Same as the Northstar head gasket issues, same as the oil leaks, same as the 3.6 oil consumption problems, same as the persnickety FWD suspension vibrations; and the list goes on and on - GM will placate and make mushy sounds but will do absolutely nothing......... That costs money and they won't give you the sweat off their butts.

We're in a DIY car in a DIY world. If you like the marque enough you'll suck up the price of ownership; otherwise you'll switch to Lexus or Hyundai. Yes, a Cadillac can be repaired or patched up - but never expect one to be anywhere close to trouble-free or long-term reliable.

"Cadillac" is no longer Cadillac - it's the exact same piece of throw away merchandise as a cell phone or laptop - the price is a bit higher.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

FWIW, HP laptops can be fixed and there is lots of help available on YouTube. Too bad they don't make cars.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

MurrayP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac STS

Let's see, a car that is essentially 8 years old and you are expecting an extended warranty on a part that has a high failure rate? Back in the early 70's if your car lasted 8 years before having to be scrapped you were doing well. When I was starting out (in the late 70's), I think I had a Monza - not a Cadillac. Yes, I had to throw it out after a very few years but of course, it wasn't new when I got it.

Buddy for a car that is 8 years old, and still holds a value of nearly $11k, you are absolutely right that I will hold such expectations on warranties. Again, I just graduated college...with a ton of loans...and decided to take on yet another one because I deemed this product worthy. GM should acknowledge not just my decision to buy one of their cars, but each individual that has posted here and owns a GM vehicle. Yes sure this is an idealistic thought...and what I am saying is but a dream in a dog-eat-dog world, but I assume this is why someone had the idea to put CadillacForums.com together in the first place...to bring enthusiasts and owners together in one place so they can get the help they otherwise would not be able to get alone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.