2008 STS headlights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 STS headlights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok this is my first Cadillac with these projection headlights and honestly they don't put out as much light as ...
    dustinrw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac sts 4.6 White Diamond

2008 STS headlights

Ok this is my first Cadillac with these projection headlights and honestly they don't put out as much light as unthought they would. I would like to change the, to something that puts out some light. I think mine are the basic lights as they do not have a light washer beside them. So what would y'all recommend? Also is it worth it for led on other outside lights on the car and inside as well? I appreciate all the advise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: 2008 STS headlights

My understanding is that the headlight assembly that has the HIDs is a completely different part from your headlight assy that comes with halogens. This suggests that there is a possibility that installing HIDs could potentially burn your projectors. Although it might not and I'm sure folks on this forum have played with this. What I can tell you is that for the best possible light output, the oem HIDs are the best choice. Hundreds of dollars more than aftermarket HIDs though. People will try to tell you otherwise but I've had a personal experience with it and oem is the way to go. I have led license plate and reverse lights. Really cleans up the look. For the side marker lights I recommend going with the color correct lights. For example, the front strip on the side bumper, put in yellow LEDs, not a regular white one. This helps keep the oem look. Led for the front parking light (the little dot in the headlamp) is a good look as well. Link to my thread in the STS-V forum where I ask about, purchase, install, and post pics of my conversion (before and after) to follow. But I'll tell you right now that you should do the interior. Cleans it up nicely.

----------

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...led-light.html
    Read through the thread. You'll like what you see.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I wonder if something is wrong with your headlights. My wife's car has the base headlights and they are very bright; maybe not as good as the HID's but better than most of our previous cars.

BarrySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS NS

I have an '08 as well and a few years ago converted the existing lights to HID, I used a Philips kit (ebay) and have not had any problems.
    The HIDs have not fried, smoked, or melted the headlight housing/lenses. There is no comparison on the light output, the HIDs are far superior.

The light "cutoff" is the same as the original bulbs, very distinct. If you are looking for maximum light, I would not go over 6000K. The higher the number, the "bluer" the light and less output. I originally wanted 5000K, however they were not available from Philips, only 4300K and 6000K. In Philips, the 6000K is mostly white with a hint of blue. I have seen some 6000K bulbs that were quite blue. Depends on the manufacture.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

halogen bulbs get dimmer over time

just getting new stock bulbs will be a big difference
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Chris has a good idea. As a first step, the OP might consider a pair of high quality replacement bulbs.

dustinrw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cadillac sts 4.6 White Diamond
    What type of replacements do we recommend? How hard are they to put in?

BarrySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS NS

When I replaced the low beam with HID, I also replaced the High Beam with GE NIGHTHAWK™ PLATINUM. No issues with them.
    http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...tive/overview/

I removed the front fascia (bumper) to replace the lights, not a hard thing, just takes a bit of time. Some say you can change bulbs without fascia removal.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 132k

If you decide on an HID conversion my advise is to stick with OEM temp bulbs...4300k. This temp will give you the optimal light output as it is the closest to real sun light.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.