Had my trans fluid changed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Had my trans fluid changed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I spent three hours car up in the air as far as the floor jack I have would raise it, ...
    mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

Had my trans fluid changed

I spent three hours car up in the air as far as the floor jack I have would raise it, on stands, trying to get the fill plug off...no success.

The third time the Torx bit flew out of there with a resounding PING, and managed to miss my head, I knew I was bound to damage myself...likely the car, too. Plus, I was using aRube Goldbergesque extension on a 1/4" wrench for leverage, and bent said wrench.

Anyway, I took it to the lube shop down the street, 'cause I've always viewed them as trustworthy, and I've been there a few times for annual state-mandated safety inspections, chatted up the guys who have been there for at least a couple of years, now, and I trust them to swap the fluid, the Dexron VI I provided and the filter I bought a couple of years back.

I have records of where the PO had it changed, at a dealer, @ 50K, but even so, the lube guys said it looked like motor oil when draining.

They also claimed the could get only 6 quarts back in, so even though they said they hooked it up to a machine for exchange, I don't quite buy it. They did say they removed the fill plug, which was remarkably tight, so if nothing else, I'll be able to drain/fill in 30K miles...maybe less.

The converter doesn't drain on this into the pan, does it? Wait...it can't, or you'd have to wait for it to fill when it starts. I have a Cummins ISB motorcoach which have a stuck drainback valve in the converter, and it takes a good 15 seconds for it to fill, if it's been sitting a few days.

I really wish GM, and other automakers, hadn't started doing this...'sealing' transmissions, when they need fluid changes, regardless of what they claim.

Looks like I drain/refill the trans every other oil change. Thankfully oil changes seems to be about every 12K-13K miles.

Depressingly, this work cost my $162, though I quite-literally con't manage it. Next time should be different.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Had my trans fluid changed

Drain & Drop/filter change OR exchange machine? Did they do both?

Sorry to hear of the trouble but it's not adding up to me. For that price, I could have had my dealer do the whole job. Is there any more to the story?

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

Re: Had my trans fluid changed

Nah, that's it.

Double what I was originally quoted, which bothers me, but that was a couple of weeks ago. Their claim is the converter drains when the pan is drained, and I know it was in the bay for a couple of hours.

I was likely partially rooked on this, however, I trust no dealers in the D/FW area, at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.