Delay when turning car off and opening door
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Delay when turning car off and opening door in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So typically when I turn the car off and open the door, almost instantly my steering wheel goes up and ...
    Relate27 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 1SB

Delay when turning car off and opening door

So typically when I turn the car off and open the door, almost instantly my steering wheel goes up and my seat adjusts to a lower level making it easier to get out of my car. Over the past 2 weeks I have noticed a delay now and I am wondering what could be causing it and if anyone else had this same experience. RIght now it's anywhere from a 5 second delay to 1 minute delay , most times I just get frustrated with waiting for my steering wheel to adjust and manually move it up before exiting the car.

Is the battery in my FOB going out, I'm not really sure why that would cause the issue I'm having but I honestly can't think of anything to cause the issue. Thanks for your help !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    That's weird. I haven't heard of that one in the forum before.

Good luck.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Delay when turning car off and opening door

Quote Originally Posted by Relate27 View Post
    So typically when I turn the car off and open the door, almost instantly my steering wheel goes up and my seat adjusts to a lower level making it easier to get out of my car. Over the past 2 weeks I have noticed a delay now and I am wondering what could be causing it and if anyone else had this same experience. RIght now it's anywhere from a 5 second delay to 1 minute delay , most times I just get frustrated with waiting for my steering wheel to adjust and manually move it up before exiting the car.

Is the battery in my FOB going out, I'm not really sure why that would cause the issue I'm having but I honestly can't think of anything to cause the issue. Thanks for your help !
    Hello Relate27,

I apologize for this malfunction with your vehicle you are experiencing. I am unable to offer technical advice, because I am not a certified technician. We rely on our dealerships for their technical expertise. If you would like help in setting up a nearby dealership appointment, please let me know. We can further discuss your issue if you private message me. Be sure to include your contact information, VIN and current mileage.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

When you open your door does the stereo shut off immediately, or is there a delay with that also?

The stereo shuts off immediately. I took a crappy video of the delay, it's dark but you can hear the door open and notice the delay. Typically once the door is open the steering wheel and seat adjust instantly no delay. ALSO that is a short delay, it does go longer like up to a minute sometimes, this has only been happening recently

This is unusual behaviour. I was originally thinking about an intermittent switch or wiring related to the door latch mechanism (this detects when the door is ajar and will trigger the stereo to shut down, seat/column to reposition, etc). Since the stereo shuts down immediately, I don't believe this will be the source of your problem. Since it involves both the seat and the column, I suspect it's not just a simple (common) connection problem. Because most aftermarket scan tools have limited or no ability to get into body (non-engine/transmission) codes, this may require a visit to a dealership or shop with a Tech2. You can try disconnecting the battery and touching the cables together briefly. The accepted standard practice is to disconnect the negative first and reconnect the negative last. This has been know to correct erroneous problems on occasion.

Thanks for the replies ddalder I appreciate the advice. I guess I can try and disconnect the battery and see what happens. Before I do that did I read correctly that once the battery cables are disconnected you touch the battery wires together ?

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 135k

Yes. Touch them together, this will reset the various modules in the car. I was very hesitant to do it myself but it doesn't hurt a thing. I actually have to do this in my own STS from time to time to get my audio system to work again. It just randomly stops working once in a while, hasn't done it for some time now (knock on wood) though...But, the battery method does the trick each and every time.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Yes, that's correct. Most modules will have capacitors installed across the ground & +12V supply to assist in filtering electrical noise. These can hold a charge and touching the cables will cause them to discharge. This ensures the modules will completely reset. The modules themselves should drain whatever charge these capacitors may briefly hold, but it is an extra step to ensure they discharge fully.

----------

I questioned a GM dealership service manager once about this. The modules should draw enough current that doing this isn't necessary and the capacitors should discharge quickly on their own (unless they are quite large). He advised me that it didn't seem to make a great deal of sense to them either since the modules are always active and drawing power, but their GM Technical Assistance Center (the place technicians call for assistance) advises them to do this and it does occasionally work.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

You may have to recalibrate the Express Windows but I haven't. The procedure is in the owners manual and takes a minute.

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

I am having the exact same problem. 75% of the time, everything works fine. When I open the door, the steering wheel immediately moves up & back. Recently, when I open the door, nothing happens for a few seconds or longer. It's like the computer does not know the door is open. Cars used to have a little switch to operate the interior lights, key buzzer, etc. There must be something in the door that tells the car it is open but it must be integral to the latch or something because I cannot find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximln View Post
    I am having the exact same problem. 75% of the time, everything works fine. When I open the door, the steering wheel immediately moves up & back. Recently, when I open the door, nothing happens for a few seconds or longer. It's like the computer does not know the door is open. Cars used to have a little switch to operate the interior lights, key buzzer, etc. There must be something in the door that tells the car it is open but it must be integral to the latch or something because I cannot find one.
    Yes, these are integral to the latch assembly on many 2000+ GM vehicles and pretty much everything current day.

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

So in order to fix the issue, you have to replace the latch assembly?

Thanks,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Maximln View Post
    So in order to fix the issue, you have to replace the latch assembly?
    Yes, if that's the problem. In the case identified by the OP, when the door was opened, the stereo immediately shut off despite the fact that the exit position was not immediately set. This suggests that in at least that case, the problem is elsewhere.

----------

I would definitely make some other checks before ordering a new latch assembly.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

OP didn't post a response to the system reset.

Hey Relate! Did it help?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.