Traction Indicator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Traction Indicator in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Now, when I make a sharp left turn, the traction indicator lights, and I hear the noise it's designed to ...
    maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG

Traction Indicator

Now, when I make a sharp left turn, the traction indicator lights, and I hear the noise it's designed to make when this feature is enabled. But.... It's dry and sunny out, and nothing to slip on. Seems like yet another expensive problem with this car.

Thoughts gang?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Sounds like wheel sensor. I think you have to replace the hub.
    curtc and curtc like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts
    Sounds like wheel sensor. I think you have to replace the hub.
    Wonderful...

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

Re: Traction Indicator

if you are turning left when this occurs it is more than likely a passenger side bearing as that is where the weight is being shifted...Does the sound come from the front or rear of the vehicle? That will tell you which one needs replacing. This should not require a dealer visit. If you can change your own brakes you can change a wheel bearing...If not, just find a reputable local shop to do this one to save on labor costs, it's not hard at all.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

What are your tires,their age & pressures? Both my wife & I saw this regularly with old OEM rubber. No more.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

i was gonna say check tires first too

Well gang, I have just gotten my car back from the body shop after being repaired from the accident. I'm not sure if most of you remember that I was backed into by a huge SUV about a month ago. Now, the traction control light is illuminated, and pressing the button on the middle console does NOT turn it off.

They didn't do anything with my tires, just replaced the hood, left headlight (now it looks stupid with one new and one dull), lower mesh in front of the grill, and the grill. Doesn't feel like the 4-wheel Dr. feature is working now. But maybe it still works even though the traction control light is constantly on (as if I have disabled it via the button on the console). I'm a little worried (no, pretty damn scared in all this snow) because I can't press the button and turn the traction control on or off. It's constantly lit. Also, the service brake assist, and service stability system messages are on the screen.

Lastly, the steering is very tight or harder to turn now while driving down the road. It's almost like the power steering is working, but barely working. Is that type of feel. If I want to change lanes going down the highway, I just can't use one finger to move over. I have to work harder to turn it left or right. Seems a little easier when I'm in a parking lot but not much at all. I don't remember it being this tight to steer.

targetSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG

you can't turn off what turned off already, I talk about TC. When problem with any wheel sensor exists, ABS\TC\Stability system stop working cause all of that is one system. So check your hub bearings ( almost every hub bearing should be replaced once for 05 STS ))).
    Regarding power steering - change your power steering fluid first, check for leaks. If it not help check power steering pump.

Quote Originally Posted by targetSTS
    you can't turn off what turned off already, I talk about TC. When problem with any wheel sensor exists, ABS\TC\Stability system stop working cause all of that is one system. So check your hub bearings ( almost every hub bearing should be replaced once for 05 STS ))). Regarding power steering - change your power steering fluid first, check for leaks. If it not help check power steering pump.
    so you are saying that this could have nothing to do with the front end collision I had? I didn't experience this prior to then. But yes, the ABS, TC, Brake Assist, Stability Sys all are lit.

So, does the four-wheel-drive function still operate even though there is no traction control enabled?

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by maiahsdad
    So, does the four-wheel-drive function still operate even though there is no traction control enabled?
    Our cars are all time all wheel drive. It's mechanical not electric. Only way to defeat it is a snapped chain in the t case or removing the front driveshaft. Otherwise your running all 4 wheels no matter what "button" you press or electronic failure that shuts down tc andr stabilitrak andr abs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS
    Our cars are all time all wheel drive. It's mechanical not electric. Only way to defeat it is a snapped chain in the t case or removing the front driveshaft. Otherwise your running all 4 wheels no matter what "button" you press or electronic failure that shuts down tc andr stabilitrak andr abs.
    I was wondering because the other day, I tried to make it up a friends driveway and couldn't. He shared with me that only the rear wheels were spinning.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by maiahsdad
    I was wondering because the other day, I tried to make it up a friends driveway and couldn't. He shared with me that only the rear wheels were spinning.
    Time to jack up the rear of your car and floor it huh hahahahhaha.

I'd bet the front wheel on opposite side was spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS
    Time to jack up the rear of your car and floor it huh hahahahhaha. I'd bet the front wheel on opposite side was spinning.
    LOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Maybe so! So they ALL FOUR would be pulling like my Jeep Commander? I thought they all pulled all the time! All Wheel Drive =All Wheels Pulling.... :-/

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    All wheel drive is really one wheel front and one wheel rear having power with the car using TC to alternate power to each side.
    johnny-cash likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.